Audio cut out during start-stop cranking.

Greddy82

Hi all,

What may be causing audio cut off during engine restarts in a start-stop scenario at the traffic light? Music runs ok when engine was not running. 

Just installed an old amp in my car with i-stop enabled at all time and encountered this issue.

Issit that the old amp draw too much voltage from the already voltage-reduced battery during cranking of the engine during restart?

Thanks guys. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Most likely a weak battery. Why not disable the start/stop function and let your alternator charge up your battery? Disconnect your amp as well cos like you said it's drawing too much power.

• Praise 2

Twincharged
(edited)
41 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Most likely a weak battery. Why not disable the start/stop function and let your alternator charge up your battery? Disconnect your amp as well cos like you said it's drawing too much power.

Yes, agree that likely old battery that doesn’t hold charge. Thus the alternator is forever topping it up and once the car stops the battery gets drained and then when the starter kicks in to start the engine the voltage of the battery drops and the amp cuts out.  A weak old battery affects fuel consumption as the alternator is Continuously working to feed the battery. 

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 3

After CB many drivers will experience weak battery symptoms cos their car have not been driven daily. Disable the engine start/stop function and go for a longer first drive after CB if you do not have a battery maintainer.

If you know that the car battery is almost flat dont try to attempt too many ignition starts. It may damage some of the 12V components. So will a weak battery. A lot of sensitive electronics in today's modern car. They are easily damaged by the weak voltage if the battery is weak.

I do not like the idea of adding too much load to a car's electrical system ie adding car audio like an amp. It just shorten the battery lifespan and put stress on your alternator. Some ppl "upgrade to a bigger capacity battery" but they never thought the alternator has to work harder to charge it.

Once the engine is started the alternator takes over from the battery and supply power to all 12V components and charge your battery at the same time. The harder it works the harder your engine works as well. Then ppl complain how come fuel consumption go up. Oh you might say add an additional battery in the trunk. But the alternator has to charge that one as well. Now it's doing double the charging. No end to the things ppl wanna do.

A 48V mild hybrid system may be more suited for the audio ppl. Since the 48V system can compliment the battery charging and free up the alternator to do other things like a smoother start/stop for the engine.

• Praise 2

Right! I didn't consider a weak battery (due to the covid quarantine issue) before. Indeed that may just what caused the power interruption! The car starts well though and battery is changed tail end of last year . So probably low charged level like some suggested. 

Will off the I-stop for a while and drive for some time to see issue persists or not .

Thanks guys. 

29 minutes ago, Kendra said:

how old is your accu battery ?

Accu battery?

My main battery was changed in Dec 2019. 

52 minutes ago, Greddy82 said:

Accu battery?

My main battery was changed in Dec 2019. 

normally charged battery cant stay any longer. maybe u should try buy new one

Supersonic
22 hours ago, Greddy82 said:

Hi all,

What may be causing audio cut off during engine restarts in a start-stop scenario at the traffic light? Music runs ok when engine was not running. 

Just installed an old amp in my car with i-stop enabled at all time and encountered this issue.

Issit that the old amp draw too much voltage from the already voltage-reduced battery during cranking of the engine during restart?

Thanks guys. 

It may not be your battery issue, since cranking takes a lot more power than your amp.

You may have to check your old amp wiring. IIRC, there's a inhibit wire (remote) which stops the amp from operating. Check how this is wired.

↡ Advertisement