Is it a myth to change engine oil every six months?

Motul_SG

Neutral Newbie

Recently, I have received a message from my buddy and asking if it is a myth to change engine oil every six month? 

IMG_2761.thumb.png.86092dabf9d14aced6de64977fe0deb2.png

So some of you might be wondering, during this covid-19 period, my car mileage is not maximised until 10K, and do I still need to do an engine oil change? 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47cada94a3b099f26a1a

The dangers of not changing your oil

Oil will break down over time due to high temperatures in the engine (known as thermal breakdown). Because of this, the oil isn’t capable of providing the necessary lubrication for metal parts after an extended period of use. Without lubrication, the moving joints in the engine will start rubbing against each other and cause premature wear. Oil also has a limited capacity on how much particulates it can hold. By not changing the oil, particles already in the oil will begin to settle and cause corrosion.

One of the biggest dangers of not changing your oil is sludge buildup. Sludge occurs when old oil begins to gel or solidify in an engine. When sludge begins to build up, oil isn’t able to flow freely through the engine and can cause oil starvation to crankshafts, bearings, camshafts, and other valve train components not be lubricated. In time, this can cause major damage to the engine and, in the worst situations, require an engine replacement or rebuild.

Choose Motul H-Tech 100 during this period! 

If you are one of the drivers who have a significant change in your lifestyle recently, you have been wfh more often, you can consider the Motul H-Tech 100 series. It comes in a lot of viscosity to suits your car requirement. And It provide excellent fuel-economy and engine protection. 

H-Tech_100_Plus_10W40_1L.png?1477659278

If you have been experiencing sluggish performance from your car lately, you can also consider Motul Engine Clean. 

Motul_Automotive_Engine_Clean-f400732b.j

Buy here.  

↡ Advertisement

Got ppl here told me before he change engine oil once a year. Same like your friend. Only hit 10K km in a year.

Ppl call it a myth now. Hokay. 😂

Supersonic

6 months? Who makes that recommendation for modern cars? I thought it's an annual servicing unless your usage is very high? 

• Praise 2

Plenty of motherhood statements that changing oil at the specified intervals is good, that is nothing new. 

But I can change C@rlub3, Mobil, Shell, Pennzoil or anything else, they also come in a wide range of viscosities.

Pray tell, why is Motul H-100 so suitable during this reduced-mileage CB period? 

Twincharged
1 hour ago, Turboflat4 said:

6 months? Who makes that recommendation for modern cars? I thought it's an annual servicing unless your usage is very high? 

drum up more sales lor!

• Haha! 1

(edited)

Did you know that in the UK, BMW is specifying 20k miles and 24 months service intervals with their whatever LL oils?

Some argue that it is to cater to tight fisted fleet car buyers/management, some claim its to honggan your engine so they can make repair money from parts some claim that it is because modern oil and engines very ninja high tech. I dont know the answer.

Edited by Ake109

Got money change every 6 months.

No money change every 10k mileage.

End of 10yrs still go to the same place.lol....

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Supercharged

Its an advertorial for engine oil. No need to take too seriously. The "friend" and the Whatsapp conversation does not exist.

• Praise 1

My opinion? It varies from driver to driver. For slow and sightseeing drivers they will never feel the difference or notice any difference. So for them to nong nong time do one engine oil change it's no problem for them or their cars.

For me with sensitive butt and drive hard daily I am able to tell the difference. When the oil has "run in" when the oil is running at its peak performance and when the oil is deteriorating. The little details that I see, feel...that's why I say it varies from driver to driver. What the car maker recommends is just like a benchmark or a guide. It's not a right or wrong like some ppl sees it. Or must or must not do. Or when you feel rich or not. Now it's even call myth somemore. Hahaha...

Usually heat will cause oil deterioration. A lot of the energy or power the engine produce will be wasted as heat. And combustion produces carbon. The engine oil not only lubricates but bring the excess heat down. The addictives act as a cleaning agent to remove the carbon build up. That's why the oil turns black, the black is the carbon particles that come from combustion. If there's no oil engine the carbon build up will jam up your pistons or engine moving parts.

The way some ppl drive I doubt the engine will ever reach its optimal heat. So the oil will never reach its intended performance. They just need to use cheap oil that has hardly any addictive in it. It's good enough for them.

When ppl ask these funny funny questions it's mainly due to ignorance. The information is out there to be searched and read but it doesnt interest them and they start to question about its authenticity. They wont know their car has a problem usually until it's too late but do they realised it? I highly doubt so.

Ppl will agree or disagree. To me that dont really matters. LoL...

If ppl wants to see it advertisement or hard sell, there's no right or wrong really. It's just an opinion.

Turbocharged

If you ask me, yes its a myth.. modern engines these days can last much longer..  unless you doing track every other day, yes probably worth a change.

Turbocharged

I've changing my engine oil once every 12 mths, as my annual mileage averages 10,000 to 12,000km. No issues at all. 

On 6/8/2020 at 12:31 PM, Motul_SG said:

Recently, I have received a message from my buddy and asking if it is a myth to change engine oil every six month? 

IMG_2761.thumb.png.86092dabf9d14aced6de64977fe0deb2.png

So some of you might be wondering, during this covid-19 period, my car mileage is not maximised until 10K, and do I still need to do an engine oil change? 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47cada94a3b099f26a1a

The dangers of not changing your oil

Oil will break down over time due to high temperatures in the engine (known as thermal breakdown). Because of this, the oil isn’t capable of providing the necessary lubrication for metal parts after an extended period of use. Without lubrication, the moving joints in the engine will start rubbing against each other and cause premature wear. Oil also has a limited capacity on how much particulates it can hold. By not changing the oil, particles already in the oil will begin to settle and cause corrosion.

One of the biggest dangers of not changing your oil is sludge buildup. Sludge occurs when old oil begins to gel or solidify in an engine. When sludge begins to build up, oil isn’t able to flow freely through the engine and can cause oil starvation to crankshafts, bearings, camshafts, and other valve train components not be lubricated. In time, this can cause major damage to the engine and, in the worst situations, require an engine replacement or rebuild.

Choose Motul H-Tech 100 during this period! 

If you are one of the drivers who have a significant change in your lifestyle recently, you have been wfh more often, you can consider the Motul H-Tech 100 series. It comes in a lot of viscosity to suits your car requirement. And It provide excellent fuel-economy and engine protection. 

H-Tech_100_Plus_10W40_1L.png?1477659278

If you have been experiencing sluggish performance from your car lately, you can also consider Motul Engine Clean. 

Motul_Automotive_Engine_Clean-f400732b.j

Buy here.  

Hi! Please kindly advise the HTHS at 150 degC for your H-Tech 100 Plus.

Thank you.