My car aircon not cold during afternoon drive

Justdaniel

1 hour ago, Beregond said:

If your air con gas not enough.

All the parts new also no point.

Aircon problem first and only thing to check is air con gas.

Not enough then  top up. (If need retop frequenly then confirm leakage)

If air con gas enough but not cold mean other issue. Compressor weak. Condenser choke. Engine temperature high . Cooling coil choke.

To sum it up. Visit a trusted aircon work shop😁

Yes go pump in AC gas first den see how long it will tahan. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I will go to my regular workshop and let them check first.

Regular customer - checking is free 😀😀 but very important is that they can be trusted.

• Praise 4

(edited)
3 hours ago, Justdaniel said:

Due to COVID-19 I am now starting work early and going back at 2.30 pm. In the morning on the aircon and I can feel the cold air coming out. But in the afternoon going back home, I hardly feel any cold air even after 15 min. 

Do I need to replace the compressor or my current compressor is fine but the weather is too hot?

Currently, if no rain it is very hot and I park outdoor.

I think your compressor solenoid is showing sign of failing. The solenoid control the aircon compressor cut-in/out functionality. Request the workshop to check on the compressor solenoid. Damage is estimated $150 to 200 only.

I believe your compressor is still ok at this stage.

Edited by Tcx607

49 minutes ago, Justdaniel said:

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I will go to my regular workshop and let them check first.

Regular customer - checking is free 😀😀 but very important is that they can be trusted.

Since your car more than 10yo and never change condenser maybe can ask your workshop to remove the front bumper and wash the condenser with soap and water. Not too high a pressure. Give it a thorough wash. 

Supersonic

compressor seldom spoil, if there's enough gas with appropriate amount of oil to lubricate.

but the gas may leak through some weak points, like the joints or other parts.

then when not enough gas, aircon not cold.

there are many ancillary parts that can spoil, like a corroded evaporator coil bcoz water is always condensing there or relays or valves, etc.

• Praise 3

47 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Since your car more than 10yo and never change condenser maybe can ask your workshop to remove the front bumper and wash the condenser with soap and water. Not too high a pressure. Give it a thorough wash. 

Since TS said its cold in e morning , i would think of these few possibilities:

1. gas over charged  , to release some off

2. condensing fan (or condenser) efficiency down , to wash condenser or replace fan motor

3. aircon relay intermittent faulty , swap relay with others(horn/lights/power window) and test out

4. compressor clutch coil faulty (air gap too big)

• Praise 3

Twincharged
6 hours ago, Hamburger said:

There are the condenser and evaporator in the ac system. What's makes you think it must be the compressor? 

And one of the lesser known issue is the aircon fan may also be faulty...😏

• Praise 2

6 hours ago, Justdaniel said:

The compressor is more than 12 years old and I have bought a new compressor. But until now the compressor still working. This old compressor is stock together when bought the car. It is made in Japan, but I bought this new compressor(original) is from the same manufacturer but made in Malaysia. Manufacturing facilities shifted out of Japan.  I had paid a premium for this compressor and I felt cheated. 

My thought, if I were to replace the compressor now, will it last for another 7 years?

I still have 7 years plus of COE left and what I heard is some compressors will fail even after 3 years.

Er ........ while aircon not very high tech thing.  It is complex.

If you change compressor, I recommend you at least change minimally, the suction pipe and expansion valve.

Because hor, if the compressor, YOU THINK got problem - weak laaa, no power laa.  Then very lightly got debris liao, small little metal dust from the compressor lor.

So when you install the NEW compressor, will probably die within months.  Imagine the dust scratching the new compressor piston lor. Of course, the suction pipe has a sub component called a DRYER, it do help to trap all these debris.  It could be clogged lor

The main components in Aircon - Compressor, Discharge Pipe, Suction Pipe, Expansion Valve (Very Important - Check T Temperature hor), and the horrific Evaporator (Aircon Coil) lor

So how ? So complex ?  

I suggest hor you go cheap, try topup gas - The problem is you have to face the Dragon and Tiger Mechanic.  Tell them to TOP UP GAS, they want you to CHANGE the whole Aircon lor.

Top up gas, try to learn abit how to read the aircon gauge - YOUTUBE best.  Familiarize with term like Super Cool State - This want determine the the ability of the aircon rate of moving the heat wor.  Then, when aircon running 5 minutes, did the BLUE Gauge (Low Pressure), the temperature reach Zero ? Below Zero or Just above Zero lor. What what, pressure gauge become TEMPERATURE gauge leh.

There is a temperature scale mapped onto pressure lor, read the correct type of gas (it is that principle of simi thermal dynamic....

Tired.  PAY S$800, problem solved.

Internal Moderator
56 minutes ago, Apple-Tree said:

Er ........ while aircon not very high tech thing.  It is complex.

If you change compressor, I recommend you at least change minimally, the suction pipe and expansion valve.

Because hor, if the compressor, YOU THINK got problem - weak laaa, no power laa.  Then very lightly got debris liao, small little metal dust from the compressor lor.

So when you install the NEW compressor, will probably die within months.  Imagine the dust scratching the new compressor piston lor. Of course, the suction pipe has a sub component called a DRYER, it do help to trap all these debris.  It could be clogged lor

The main components in Aircon - Compressor, Discharge Pipe, Suction Pipe, Expansion Valve (Very Important - Check T Temperature hor), and the horrific Evaporator (Aircon Coil) lor

So how ? So complex ?  

I suggest hor you go cheap, try topup gas - The problem is you have to face the Dragon and Tiger Mechanic.  Tell them to TOP UP GAS, they want you to CHANGE the whole Aircon lor.

Top up gas, try to learn abit how to read the aircon gauge - YOUTUBE best.  Familiarize with term like Super Cool State - This want determine the the ability of the aircon rate of moving the heat wor.  Then, when aircon running 5 minutes, did the BLUE Gauge (Low Pressure), the temperature reach Zero ? Below Zero or Just above Zero lor. What what, pressure gauge become TEMPERATURE gauge leh.

There is a temperature scale mapped onto pressure lor, read the correct type of gas (it is that principle of simi thermal dynamic....

Tired.  PAY S$800, problem solved.

How many $800 have you spend? 😄

Supersonic

Since ts has a trusted regular workshop, he shouldn't have waited.Time wasted, can't enjoy the drive! 

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
7 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

Since ts has a trusted regular workshop, he shouldn't have waited.Time wasted, can't enjoy the drive! 

But can chitchat la-kopi here abit mah! hahah.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

2 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

How many $800 have you spend? 😄

I quote laaa.... Maybe $20 settled liao, but still charge $800 baa...... buy beer.

• Haha! 1

9 hours ago, UncleAtas said:

Mark kool is good.

Can't agree more. Over the years, I have never mind traveling from east to Woodlands for a proper diagnosis. 

On 6/9/2020 at 5:50 PM, kobayashiGT said:

But can chitchat la-kopi here abit mah! hahah.

hahaha, quite true!🤣

(edited)

I had a similar problem previously with my old car especially when the sun is out in late mornings or afternoons, or when parked open space. However, the car is cold during raining days, Sent to my regular workshop to check, aircon is still cold and working properly , as can see the aircon pipe condensation when opened the front bonnet. Found out that the big engine fan that is used to cool the car engine is giving problem,. Although still working but is slowing down, resulting in increase engine heat. Solution - replaced the fan, and everything is back to normal. Cost me about $500.

Suggest that you go to your regular workshop and have it checked out. 

Edited by Samlimlp
↡ Advertisement