Should I claim total loss or pay 8k out of own pocket for repair?

tubbies

(edited)
21 hours ago, BabyBlade said:

It's a newbie and it's a first post. Hence my reply to ask for patience.

Sometimes people create accounts to post but don't login frequently because it's not a habit unlike for many of us. I was the same with my Flowerpod forum account years back. 

Relax.[flowerface]

Supork, be patience to newbies who ask genuine questions , many of us came a long way from there too.  If the problem statement is not clear, guide them to provide more specific info. Let's make this forum a pleasant place to be in. Otherwise this place will be left with all the old birds talking to one a other 😄😄

Edited by Ct3833
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

50 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

Go JB get a botched repair job done. 

Sell the car cheap and someone will buy for their MIL. 

Let them drive to the end. 

:D

Reuse, recycle, repeat. 

Some will even pay way above market for such cars just for their MIL! 

Trust Jamesc.... 

• Haha! 4

49 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

3rd option will be James MIL. How can we forget to include you on such good deals for your MIL. 

Good idea. 

The more botched job the repair the more I will pay to buy the car. 

:D

11 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

Supork, be patience to newbies who ask genuine questions , many of us came a long way from there too.  If the problem statement is not clear, guide them to provide more specific info. Let's make this forum a pleasant place to be in. Otherwise this place will be left with all the old birds talking to one a other 😄😄

Ya. I think ts is here to find a solution for his car only.

Judging from his disappearance high chance settle liao.

If he come back to post feedback then good loh.

If not take it as our discussion.😁

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, Meanmachine said:

Just strike my mind, how came TS can start a new thread since he is a Newbie huh !

Has the rule changeD ?    [wave]

I split into a new thread. TS posted in FAQ section for newbies. Rules unchanged. 

• Shocked 1

Internal Moderator

56 minutes ago, Beregond said:

Ya. I think ts is here to find a solution for his car only.

Judging from his disappearance high chance settle liao.

If he come back to post feedback then good loh.

If not take it as our discussion.😁

@Ct3833 @Beregond Thanks for the understanding!

[flowerface]for you! 

• Praise 1

14 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

I split into a new thread. TS posted in FAQ section for newbies. Rules unchanged. 

is that why he's lost and cant find his thread anymore? 🤣

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

4 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

I newbie here, please be patient with me thanks in advance 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha! 6

1 hour ago, SiLangKia said:

I newbie here, please be patient with me thanks in advance 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Nobody will dare to defend an old bird  when he gets whacked because he is trying to pretend like a  newbie😛😛

• Praise 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha! 3

5 hours ago, Meanmachine said:

Just strike my mind, how came TS can start a new thread since he is a Newbie huh !

Has the rule changeD ?    [wave]

Brilliant question. but you see! now he does not even dare to power up his computer.

Aiya, don't like that lor, recently really eng lor. It is actually good to meet a troll one.

Like now, boss still say don't go back to office wor.  My job only limited to send email only one. So carry on WFH wor.  Now have to watch Rise of Skywalker the 15th time lor.  

• Praise 1

(edited)

Sorry for the late reply. I waited for 2 days but I did not get any responses so I gave up coming back to see. [Was very desperate] I try to answer as many questions as possible, thanks in advance.
Model: Honda Jazz , 1.5

Registration Date : Jan 2016

Price : $104k (High COE then, haiz)

Type of claim: Own  Claim Policy

Repair cost : +/- 16k ( Authorised Workshop by Insurance co)

The person in change of my claim said that due to Economic Repair Limit, they are only willing to pay 9k for the repair and the rest I have to top  it up. How they derived this sum? He said market value of the car ($50k) minus away the paper value ($41k). [ something like tt] 

The authorised workshop said tt they below things need to be changed: 
1) Front bonnet $1400 2) Front and rear fender 3) Fog Lamp $1200 4) Radiator 5) Suspension 6) They said under carriage badly damaged. 

(To me, I don’t think the car was badly damaged from view, but I also understand I cannot see the inside of the car.)

I got another 2 workshops to get a second opinions, both said tt they are able to repair at +/- $8k.

Also, before I agree to repair or do a total loss claim, I need to pay $1600 excess, to me either way it not worth it. The insurance company is offering $45k for my car. I still owe the bank $9k.

Sorry for the long post and a big thank you to everyone.

Edited by tubbies
  • Praise 7

5 minutes ago, tubbies said:

Sorry for the late reply. I waited for 2 days but I did not get any responses so I gave up coming back to see. [Was very desperate] I try to answer as many questions as possible, thanks in advance.
Model: Honda Jazz , 1.5

Registration Date : Jan 2016

Price : $104k (High COE then, haiz)

Type of claim: Own  Claim Policy

Repair cost : +/- 16k ( Authorised Workshop by Insurance co)

The person in change of my claim said that due to Economic Repair Limit, they are only willing to pay 9k for the repair and the rest I have to top  it up. How they derived this sum? He said market value of the car ($50k) minus away the paper value ($41k). [ something like tt] 

The authorised workshop said tt they below things need to be changed: 
1) Front bonnet $1400 2) Front and rear fender 3) Fog Lamp $1200 4) Radiator 5) Suspension 6) They said under carriage badly damaged. 

(To me, I don’t think the car was badly damaged from view, but I also understand I cannot see the inside of the car.)

I got another 2 workshops to get a second opinions, both said tt they are able to repair at +/- $8k.

Also, before I agree to repair or do a total loss claim, I need to pay $1600 excess, to me either way it not worth it. The insurance company is offering $45k for my car. 

Sorry for the long post and a big thank you to everyone.

I thought in your original post, you mentioned can claim total loss of $50k? They have now changed it to $45k?

If the extent of damage to the car due to the accident is rather serious as there was front, rear and undercarriage damage. Then I would suggest you take total loss and negotiate up to the market rate with the insurance company, with that $ buy a car at market value where you possibly have some bargaining power.

If the workshops that quoted you the repair at +/- $8K, then your insurance should have no qualms covering it, in that case can you trust the workshop and get an honest opinion on the damage done to the car and if there are any foreseeable issues after the repair?

Also, you probably want to take into account loss of use when you give the car up or when you pass it to the workshop, I know most independent workshops will arrange a car for you during that period.

• Praise 2

Total claim was $45k

I cannot go to other workshop cause I did not opt for that when I bought my insurance.

I do not want to opt for total claim cause I will only get back +/-$30k and if I get a new car, I will start my instalment all over again versus the fact that by the end of 2020, I would have settle my loan. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1