Should I claim total loss or pay 8k out of own pocket for repair?

tubbies

Turbocharged
2 minutes ago, Mockngbrd said:

U rather they calibrate all their equipment zhun zhun then u really fail?

no no.. they should keep the calibration BUT show "Passed" instead! whahahahahaha..

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged
2 hours ago, Soya said:

Goes to show these 'inspections' are nothing but a money spinner

That's an open secret.

If your car is heavily modified, just pay some workshop some money to send your car for inspection and sure pass. I am puzzled - how could an illegally modified car pass inspection? Are the inspectors blind? 😂

• Haha! 1

18 minutes ago, Vinceng said:

That's an open secret.

If your car is heavily modified, just pay some workshop some money to send your car for inspection and sure pass. I am puzzled - how could an illegally modified car pass inspection? Are the inspectors blind? 😂

Well some commerical vehicle with faulty parts black smoke impossible to pass no matter how u try.

They can pass for u without repair.

Sg also not 100%clean.🤣

On 6/15/2020 at 9:12 AM, Genes said:

Many SG drivers like to take as wide a turn as possible one. Duno why

On the contrary, I find SG drivers like to turn too early especially in Lane 1. If you are in Lane 2, have to look out for these drivers who will swerve into your lane cos they turned too fast and unable to turn sharply to stay in lane.

A good right turn should be a smooth arc like the circumference of a quarter circle. It also means halfway through the turn you can start to power out of it...

• Praise 2

10 hours ago, flashbang said:

On the contrary, I find SG drivers like to turn too early especially in Lane 1. If you are in Lane 2, have to look out for these drivers who will swerve into your lane cos they turned too fast and unable to turn sharply to stay in lane.

A good right turn should be a smooth arc like the circumference of a quarter circle. It also means halfway through the turn you can start to power out of it...

i think we are basically talking about the same thing. lol

To your point, however i don't see them taking the apex while on lane 1 during right bends, only the left bends. Why ah? The can chek then chek pattern lo...

On 6/14/2020 at 10:49 AM, StreetFight3r said:

The driver still took the object on the ground n placed it by the side.. nice gesture though he caught himself in a bad situation cause of it

That is most likely his car's side skirt.

• Haha! 1

On 6/13/2020 at 10:05 PM, tubbies said:

Thank you for all your suggestions,🙏 I have made my decision. I have decided to go to my own workshop. I did make some calculation and all options got it’s pros and cons. I know it is not right to say based on gut feel but I made the decision mainly based on that😅 firstly, I just have this feeling that the insurance is going to con me and my car is not really tt bad. Someone in the thread said tt hope tt I would not sell it off after repairing... just to assure everyone... I have 良心 one.. I would just scrap it if I feel something is wrong.... I just hope tt when we can bet at Singapore Pool again... I would buy big big and hope to strike big one to get a new car🤣. ( It ever happen once, the one and only time my car was involved in an accident. 11B15B6A-BD73-40C7-A410-5B27B01C0F0B.thumb.jpeg.2201ae84b0a21c81d8582324ddaedf83.jpeg47397516-8A1A-4359-9FF0-0310D0E512A3.thumb.jpeg.b1b7d3b488bc5e99e2a5fbd184174327.jpeg13CB6CDF-6591-4B33-8A9C-7A21019D7403.thumb.jpeg.e808a690ff24b565c246f70f09ab9ed9.jpeg5AE34B10-52E6-4EE1-A36C-3FA5947D21D0.thumb.jpeg.b7741a1d28a2fcca82ee14ff2f38f61c.jpeg6C3B5900-39F0-4FA7-AE65-F8988B7767C5.thumb.jpeg.6d21a15cb45a41a5727604e89d5510e8.jpeg21FA5413-3337-48F5-9DEE-12B5DE8841E7.thumb.jpeg.f4fb21755103e729b21505a5dee52415.jpeg

Sorry to say, your gut feel is wrong. Some have rightly pointed out there is indeed severe damage to the undercarriage even though you don't think so just from these photos.

If your chassis is twisted from the impact, I seriously wonder if the workshop you appointed to fix the car will do a good job.

Not only that, even if the workshop is competent, your car will be in the workshop for a very long time. At least a month for a decently fast job. Add more time accordingly if they have to indent some parts not available in SG.

But anyway, good luck on the repairs.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie
(edited)
On 6/11/2020 at 9:54 PM, tubbies said:

Sorry for the late reply. I waited for 2 days but I did not get any responses so I gave up coming back to see. [Was very desperate] I try to answer as many questions as possible, thanks in advance.
Model: Honda Jazz , 1.5

Registration Date : Jan 2016

Price : $104k (High COE then, haiz)

Type of claim: Own  Claim Policy

Repair cost : +/- 16k ( Authorised Workshop by Insurance co)

The person in change of my claim said that due to Economic Repair Limit, they are only willing to pay 9k for the repair and the rest I have to top  it up. How they derived this sum? He said market value of the car ($50k) minus away the paper value ($41k). [ something like tt] 

The authorised workshop said tt they below things need to be changed: 
1) Front bonnet $1400 2) Front and rear fender 3) Fog Lamp $1200 4) Radiator 5) Suspension 6) They said under carriage badly damaged. 

(To me, I don’t think the car was badly damaged from view, but I also understand I cannot see the inside of the car.)

I got another 2 workshops to get a second opinions, both said tt they are able to repair at +/- $8k.

Also, before I agree to repair or do a total loss claim, I need to pay $1600 excess, to me either way it not worth it. The insurance company is offering $45k for my car. I still owe the bank $9k.

Sorry for the long post and a big thank you to everyone.

To share an experience. I crashed a car before. Contacted NTUC who told me I could tow it to ComfortDelgro’s workshop. CDG quoted me $17k for repair. I told them to f spider. Took it to my own workshop and paid $4k, out of own pocket of course. 

This happened in 2014 or 2015. Reason - save the 50% NCD, and to avoid hefty loading for future years. 

Edited by Liquidice
  • Praise 3

does that mean cars with low market value, eg. COE car, when wanna claim 3rd party for more than a few K will most probably be slapped with "Total Loss"/"Not economical to repair" by 3rd party's insurance coy?

if so, isn't it less risky to get PARF car with at least a few years left, rather than renew COE (writing off PARF) then risk have to scrap when kena even minor accident?

Edited by Eyke
  • Praise 1

Ever since the use of " market value" used in insurance policy clause, it has been gray and subjective. 

I remembered in the 80s there was  numerical sum insured clearly stated on the policy paper. 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Hamburger said:

Ever since the use of " market value" used in insurance policy clause, it has been gray and subjective. 

I remembered in the 80s there was  numerical sum insured clearly stated on the policy paper. 

Since 90s, all Car needs COE.

2 hours ago, Eyke said:

does that mean cars with low market value, eg. COE car, when wanna claim 3rd party for more than a few K will most probably be slapped with "Total Loss"/"Not economical to repair" by 3rd party's insurance coy?

if so, isn't it less risky to get PARF car with at least a few years left, rather than renew COE (writing off PARF) then risk have to scrap when kena even minor accident?

Mkt value minus remaining COE = maximum repair value

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2