Should I claim total loss or pay 8k out of own pocket for repair?

tubbies

(edited)

The best thing about all these cars.

If crash no need to claim insurance.

Just scrap and take back the balance COE.

:grin:

Edited by Jamesc

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, Ct3833 said:

Now TS is overwhelmed with lots of advice and suggestions 

I'm super glad that he login-ed again. There are many helpful members here. The suggestions, solutions, alternatives will help in one way or another in his final decision to scrap or repair. But honestly I would scrap the car too if the damage was this extensive. Wouldn't be the same car anymore.

• Praise 4
  • Sad 1

Supersonic
4 hours ago, mersaylee said:

Sekali also same same but different...how? Referring to car model not driver hor

at least we know...jan 2016... siam far far

Maybe the seller oso crashed it into a tree b4, repair and then sell off

Really same same but different. Lol

• Haha! 1

(edited)
16 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

TS hit a tree ah?

Here is the claim filed. See for yourself.

Due to Privacy Issues I cannot reveal which one is the TS claim.

Coming home I drove into the wrong house and collided with a tree I haven’t got.

A bull was standing near and a fly must have tickled him because he gored my car.

A lamp-post bumped into my car, damaging it in two places.

A pedestrian hit me and went under my car - this one is my MIL's claim.

An invisible car came out of nowhere, struck my car and vanished.

A truck backed through my windshield into my wife’s mother's face - this is the one I wish I had claimed.

As I approached an intersection a sign suddenly appeared in a place where no stop sign had ever appeared before.

I collided with a stationary tree coming the other direction.

Car had to turn sharper than was necessary owing to an invisible lorry.

Cow wandered into my car. I was afterwards informed that the cow was half-witted.

Going to work at 7am this morning I drove out of my drive straight into a bus. The bus was 5 minutes early.

I am responsible for the accident as I was miles away at the time.

I am sure the old fellow would never make it to the other side of the road when I struck him.

I bumped into a lamp-post which was obscured by human beings.

I bumped into a shop window and sustained injuries to my wife.

I can’t give details of the accident as I was somewhat concussed at the time.

I collided with a stationary truck coming the other way

I consider that neither vehicle was to blame but if either were to blame it was the other one.

I didn’t think the speed limit applied after midnight.

I had been driving for 40 years when I feel asleep at the wheel and had an accident.

I heard a horn blow and was struck violently in the back. Evidently a lady was trying to pass me.

I knew the dog was possessive about the car but I would not have asked her to drive it if I had thought there was any risk.

I knocked over a man. He admitted it was his fault as he had been run over before.

I left for work this morning at 7am as usual when I collided straight into a bus. The bus was 5 minutes early.

I left my Austin Seven outside and when I came out later to my amazement there was an Austin Twelve.

I left my car unattended for a minute, and whether by accident or design it ran away.

I pulled away from the side of the road, glanced at my mother-in-law and headed over the embankment.

I saw a slow-moving, sad-faced old gentleman as he bounced off the roof of my car.

I saw her look at me twice. She appeared to be making slow progress when we met on impact.

I started to slow down but the traffic was more stationary than I thought.

I thought the side window was down but it was up, as I found when I put my head through it.

I was scraping my nearside on the bank when the accident happened.

I was sure the old fellow would never make it to the other side of the road when I struck him.

I was thrown from the car as it left the road. I was later found in a ditch by some stray cows.

If the other driver had stopped a few yards behind himself the accident would not have happened.

In an attempt to kill a fly, I drove into a telephone pole.

My car was legally parked as it backed into another vehicle.

No one was to blame for the accident but it would never have happened if the other driver had been alert.

No witnesses would admit having seen the mishap until after it happened.

On approach to the traffic lights the car in front suddenly broke.

On the M6 I moved from the centre lane to the fast lane but the other car didn’t give way.

Q: Could either driver have done anything to avoid the accident? A: Travelled by bus?

The accident happened because I had one eye on the lorry in front, one eye on the pedestrian and the other on the car behind.

The accident happened when the right front door of a car came round the corner without giving a signal.

The accident occurred when I was attempting to bring my car out of a skid by steering it into the other vehicle.

The accident was caused by me waving to the man I hit last week.

The car in front hit the pedestrian but he got up so I hit him again

The car in front of me stopped for a yellow light, so I had no choice but to hit him. (She pushed him through the intersection)

The car in front stopped suddenly and I crashed gently into his luggage grid.

The gentleman behind me struck me on the backside. He then went to rest in a bush with just his rear end showing.

The indirect cause of the accident was a little guy in a small car with a big mouth. The other car collided with mine without giving warning of its intentions.

The other man altered his mind so I had to run into him.

The pedestrian ran for the pavement, but I got him.

The telephone pole was approaching and I was attempting to swerve out of its way when it struck the front end of my car.

The water in my radiator accidentally froze at 12 midnight.

There was no damage done to the car, as the gate post will testify.

There were plenty of lookers-on but no witnesses.

To avoid a collision I ran into the other car.

To avoid hitting the bumper of the car in front I struck a pedestrian.

We had completed the turn and had just straightened the car when Miss X put her foot down hard and headed for the ladies’ loo.

When I saw I could not avoid a collision I stepped on the gas and crashed into the other car. Windshield broke. Cause unknown. Probably Voodoo.

The claimant had collided with a cow. The questions and answers on the claim form were: Q: What warning was given by you?
A: Horn.
Q: What warning was given by the other party?
A: Moo.

As I approached the intersection, a sign suddenly appeared in a place where no stop sign had ever appeared before. I was unable to stop in time to avoid the accident.

I had been learning to drive with power steering. I turned the wheel to what I thought was enough and found myself in a different direction going the opposite way.

I had been out shopping for the garden all morning. I was driving home and as I approached the junction a hedge sprang up, obscuring my vision so I could not see the other vehicle.

I started to turn and it was at this point I noticed a camel and an elephant tethered at the verge. This distraction caused me to lose concentration and hit a bollard.

I was backing my car out of the driveway in the usual manner, when it was struck by the other car in the same place it had been struck several times before.

I was taking a friend home and keeping two yards from each lamp-post which were in a straight line. Unfortunately, there was a bend in the road bringing the right-hand lamp-post in line with the other and of course I landed in a ditch.

One wheel went into a ditch. My foot jumped from brake to accelerator pedal, leapt across the road to the other side and jumped into the trunk of a tree.

Edited by Jamesc
  • Haha! 4

Internal Moderator
1 minute ago, Jamesc said:

Here is the claim filed

Coming home I drove into the wrong house and collided with a tree I haven’t got.

As an insurance company that has been in business for 35 years, we have seen all sorts of claims come over our desks. Insurance is a series business but sometimes it is nice to have some fun so we thought we’d share a few funny claims with you. Here we go….

A bull was standing near and a fly must have tickled him because he gored my car.

A pedestrian hit me and went under my car

A truck backed through my windshield into my wife’s face.

As I approached an intersection a sign suddenly appeared in a place where no stop sign had ever appeared before.

Cow wandered into my car. I was afterwards informed that the cow was half-witted.

Going to work at 7am this morning I drove out of my drive straight into a bus. The bus was 5 minutes early.

I am sure the old fellow would never make it to the other side of the road when I struck him.

I collided with a stationary tree.

I consider that neither vehicle was to blame but if either were to blame it was the other one.

I had been driving for 40 years when I feel asleep at the wheel and had an accident.

I heard a horn blow and was struck violently in the back. Evidently a lady was trying to pass me.

I knew the dog was possessive about the car but I would not have asked her to drive it if I had thought there was any risk.

I knocked over a man. He admitted it was his fault as he had been run over before.

I left for work this morning at 7am as usual when I collided straight into a bus. The bus was 5 minutes early.

I left my Austin Seven outside and when I came out later to my amazement there was an Austin Twelve.

I left my car unattended for a minute, and whether by accident or design it ran away.

I pulled away from the side of the road, glanced at my mother-in-law and headed over the embankment.

I saw a slow-moving, sad-faced old gentleman as he bounced off the roof of my car.

I saw her look at me twice. She appeared to be making slow progress when we met on impact.

I thought the side window was down but it was up, as I found when I put my head through it.

I was sure the old fellow would never make it to the other side of the road when I struck him.

I was thrown from the car as it left the road. I was later found in a ditch by some stray cows.

If the other driver had stopped a few yards behind himself the accident would not have happened.

No one was to blame for the accident but it would never have happened if the other driver had been alert.

On the M6 I moved from the centre lane to the fast lane but the other car didn’t give way.

Q: Could either driver have done anything to avoid the accident? A: Travelled by bus?

The accident happened because I had one eye on the lorry in front, one eye on the pedestrian and the other on the car behind.

The accident happened when the right front door of a car came round the corner without giving a signal.

The accident occurred when I was attempting to bring my car out of a skid by steering it into the other vehicle.

The car in front of me stopped for a yellow light, so I had no choice but to hit him. (She pushed him through the intersection)

The gentleman behind me struck me on the backside. He then went to rest in a bush with just his rear end showing.

The indirect cause of the accident was a little guy in a small car with a big mouth. The other car collided with mine without giving warning of its intentions.

The telephone pole was approaching and I was attempting to swerve out of its way when it struck the front end of my car.

We had completed the turn and had just straightened the car when Miss X put her foot down hard and headed for the ladies’ loo.

When I saw I could not avoid a collision I stepped on the gas and crashed into the other car. Windshield broke. Cause unknown. Probably Voodoo.

The claimant had collided with a cow. The questions and answers on the claim form were: Q: What warning was given by you?

As I approached the intersection, a sign suddenly appeared in a place where no stop sign had ever appeared before. I was unable to stop in time to avoid the accident.

I had been learning to drive with power steering. I turned the wheel to what I thought was enough and found myself in a different direction going the opposite way.

I had been out shopping for the garden all morning. I was driving home and as I approached the junction a hedge sprang up, obscuring my vision so I could not see the other vehicle.

I started to turn and it was at this point I noticed a camel and an elephant tethered at the verge. This distraction caused me to lose concentration and hit a bollard.

I was backing my car out of the driveway in the usual manner, when it was struck by the other car in the same place it had been struck several times before.

I was taking a friend home and keeping two yards from each lamp-post which were in a straight line. Unfortunately, there was a bend in the road bringing the right-hand lamp-post in line with the other and of course I landed in a ditch.

One wheel went into a ditch. My foot jumped from brake to accelerator pedal, leapt across the road to the other side and jumped into the trunk of a tree.

You never fail to amaze me. 

Send in the BabyBlade Seal of Approval please. [flowerface]

• Haha! 3

@tubbies since many have offered their opinions, I just want to highlight 2 things basing on experience from close friends of mine.

1) How severe was the damage to the car? If under carriage is affected and requires any form of serious knocking or welding, scrap the car! You are unlikely to pass LTA inspection with a damaged under carriage (my friend's family ended up scrapping their S Class after spending >$20K repairing it).

2) How was market value been defined in your insurance policy? Does it have a clause stating that payment can be in form of cash or replacement of a car of the same make and model year (something like that)? I did once help a friend to claim total loss for his car. Long story short, we did lot of data collection before getting back to the insurer, trying to prove that the compensation amount (before deduction of excess) could not get the same car in the market, and asked the insurer to get the car for us (same model, same spec, same period). And we won, my friend got another ~$6k - $7K in compensation (from ~$45K to >$50K).

Seriously, if the damage was so severe to warranty a $8K repair (from 3rd party workshop), I see no reason in keeping the car, from cost and safety perspective.

• Praise 10

Supersonic

After so many MCFers share advice, still waiting for TS to share w MCFers which insurance company so at least we can oso learn

Twincharged
30 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

1) How severe was the damage to the car? If under carriage is affected and requires any form of serious knocking or welding, scrap the car! You are unlikely to pass LTA inspection with a damaged under carriage (my friend's family ended up scrapping their S Class after spending >$20K repairing it).

this is interesting.

anymore details? the workshop couldn't fix it right? on what basis did LTA fail the car?

1 hour ago, Jamesc said:

Here is the claim filed. See for yourself.

A pedestrian hit me and went under my car - this one is my MIL's claim.

A truck backed through my windshield into my wife’s mother's face - this is the one I wish I had claimed.

I collided with a stationary tree coming the other direction.

This post has been awarded the Baby Blade Seal of Approval.

[flowerface]

image.png.66b96efb324917bcaf6159fd6dbf7da4.png

image.png.691692385555a9a479e16df54acd5141.png

image.png.40892bdea7101524530f61a4b26d99b9.png

image.png.cbbd6562981a84d032fbb860eabb92b8.png

image.png.e778baa00fc5c3a8ba66322eb84ed517.png

image.png.2c02b5dbb5e421e4e8a2f584d0ef3b1a.png

image.png.9c85f0325621fea96ea7baea2d7c9d91.png

image.png.dc397bf19d83155a9a8443c8121e55ba.png

image.png.ae3e23cb98ace936e7b6514715d20a8a.png

image.png.e60c7ad3344e2d309a362316ac7cf7a9.png

image.png.a6f074e9121354d905d0e9d033d4fe47.png

image.png.a244767adeb540fe203f57cfd38bae1b.png

image.png.4fd71c6b15a687c5dc2df2b1d482252f.png

image.png.4960a9c783b1145a8cee3f558d95151b.png

image.png.d01e7ea062ce3c392e47e05f01c79c66.png

image.png.992548be2549b149e4ee96fd9c32416f.png

image.png.663f9ad31355b016dcdd87020e1cd4ae.png

• Haha! 3

Turbocharged
2 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

Seriously, if the damage was so severe to warranty a $8K repair (from 3rd party workshop), I see no reason in keeping the car, from cost and safety perspective.

A real example from my case.. these damaged quoted by Insurance workshop $14.4k 😱

in the end they compromise to $14k for lump sum repair.. Excess oredi $3.5k plus GST hoh..

honestly i don believe the quote.. but LL lah..

23971FE5-8B54-42B1-A909-EF188663C9B6.jpeg

904D1B11-0F9C-4C42-8139-2BE766F92886.jpeg

• Praise 3
  • Shocked 1

16 minutes ago, Ody_2004 said:

A real example from my case.. these damaged quoted by Insurance workshop $14.4k 😱

in the end they compromise to $14k for lump sum repair.. Excess oredi $3.5k plus GST hoh..

1k fender 

1k bumper

1k headlight

500 kopi or tiger cum cigarettes 

about there 😅

• Haha! 3

3 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

1k fender 

1k bumper

1k headlight

about there 😅

Bumper looks OK. Only 150 to respray. Save another 850. But passenger airbag looked like deployed. No need to replace also. Just patch up the dash and sell to Jamesc. He can ferry his MIL with her sitting in front.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 5

Turbocharged
7 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

1k fender 

1k bumper

1k headlight

about there 😅

you over quote liao! whahahahaha..

they quote NEW but use USED leh..

Aiyah how workshop and insurance work you know I know.. my dad USED to run workshop.. KARMA ah! whahahahahahaha..

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 6

Twincharged
(edited)
2 hours ago, Ody_2004 said:

What? Like that repair 14k? OMG.. 

Edited by Yewheng

4 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

this is interesting.

anymore details? the workshop couldn't fix it right? on what basis did LTA fail the car?

LTA is very particular about structural integrity of a car and inspection of car structure is one important part of the bi-annual vehicle inspection. 

Once the undercarriage or body structure is found to be damaged or underwent extensive modification and/or repair, the car would be deem not road worthy and onwer would be asked to have the car scrapped.

• Praise 5

Twincharged
9 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

LTA is very particular about structural integrity of a car and inspection of car structure is one important part of the bi-annual vehicle inspection. 

Once the undercarriage or body structure is found to be damaged or underwent extensive modification and/or repair, the car would be deem not road worthy and onwer would be asked to have the car scrapped.

Thanks learnt something. So next time if tio accident and it involved undercarriage. Then don't bother to repair and go scrap the car sua. 

↡ Advertisement