Australian-Asian claims racism for being greeted in Chinese

Macrosszero

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/reality-tv/masterchef-2020-sarah-tiong-slams-triple-m-for-racism/news-story/60f547fca7ecc280aad65537279a6a47

Recently evicted MasterChef star Sarah Tiong has called out radio station Triple M for racism after a “shocking” on-air moment this morning.

Ahead of her chat with hosts from Triple M Sunraysia, Sarah revealed she was greeted by one presenter who said “ni hao ma”.

She took to Instagram shortly after to tell fans she felt “uncomfortable and shocked” following the “tone deaf” incident.

“This is racism. What an insensitive, tone deaf thing to say. Please, check yourself and do better,” she wrote on her Instagram stories.

When questioned further by followers regarding the exchange, Sarah explained why the interaction was “privileged and ignorant”.

“It is racist to assume I identify as Chinese and speak the Chinese language,” she stated.

“Even if I have referenced such heritage or knowledge in the past, it is privileged and ignorant to assume anything about me based on the colour of my skin. It is rude and privileged to assume that I understand that Asian language, just because I appear of that descent.”

Sarah then revealed that the morning radio host had queried whether “it would be lei ho ma?”

“The mere presumption that I speak or want to speak Mandarin or Cantonese with you,” Sarah said, “followed by the flippant dismissal of distinguishing the two different languages is racist. It is dehumanising. And no … ‘My partner is Asian’ is not an excuse for your racism.”

MasterChef judge Melissa Leong backed Sarah up in her own Instagram story, reminding fans that this experience “is a mere daily occurrence for many POC.”

“It is not funny, or clever. It just illustrates how deep rooted racial toxicity is in this country, and anyone with a voice in media should know better,” she posted.

It comes after Immigration Minister Alan Tudge named Australian-born MasterChef judge Melissa as his best example of why Australia is not racist because she’s “Chinese” and “hugely popular”.

Despite the fact that the star of the new MasterChef program was born in Sydney nearly 40 years ago, Mr Tudge has insisted she’s an example of why 99.9 per cent of Australians abhor racism.

Melissa, 38, was born to Singaporean parents with a Chinese background and has spoken out repeatedly about “casual racism” and racist trolls that attacked her after she first joined the program.

While a spokesman said she was “fine” with being described by Mr Tudge as ethnically Chinese despite being born in Sydney, she warned Australia had a long way to go.

Melissa Leong said, “Australia has a long way to go” in the face of diversity and inclusivity.

“While I am proud to play a small part in the changing face of diversity and inclusivity in Australian media, let me be clear in saying that we are so very far from where we need to be,’’ Melissa told news.com.au.

“Whether it’s our ancient indigenous heritage or more recent multicultural contribution, representation of the different abled, or those who are fighting to be accepted for how they identify, or loving who they love, it is clear that we all need and deserve to feel seen and be heard. It is my hope in these difficult times that we can and will bring about lasting and positive change in this regard.”

When contacted by Triple M, a spokesperson told news.com.au: “Triple M Sunraysia unreservedly apologises for the offence caused by comments made to Sarah Tiong off-air this morning.”

↡ Advertisement
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

Maybe a lifetime of growing up in Australia caused this accumulated sensitivity, but its akin to kicking up a fuss if I asked someone where the toilet was, and got pointed to the gents. I mean, what if I self-identified as a woman and meant to go to the ladies’?!?!

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

Supersonic
(edited)

like this also called "racism"

charbo always like that, small gas,  little things blow up big mountain.

i have local indians who tried to speak to me in hokkien. i'm just amused and encouraged, they tried. what "racism" ?

Edited by Kb27
  • Praise 3
  • Haha! 3

(edited)

Last time I also asked a yellow skin person in HK "Diu Lei Low Mou?". I never understood why he got so angry about me asking how's his mother doing.

Nowadays SMLJ also can be #BLM. Oh wait.. the term SMLJ is bery dehumanizing to the male population. I unreservedly apologize to all LJs in the world for being tone deaf.

Edited by Jellandross
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 9

Twincharged
27 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Sarah Tiong : "Is it because I am Tiong ?" 

NOPE ... because they are all Sovereign !

• Haha! 3

Turbocharged
(edited)

I think the presenter greeted her that way thinking it is being polite, but she look at it as being racism. Even if she is born in Aussie, she is still a Chinese right?

Edited by Icedbs

6 hours ago, Icedbs said:

I think the presenter greeted her that way thinking it is being polite, but she look at it as being racism. Even if she is born in Aussie, she is still a Chinese right?

Yes, that will be a fact she has to accept but she chose not to. Regardless where she is born, if her ethnic is Chinese, she will be regard as Chinese where ever she goes. I read the news about this, and it is not even a racism problem, the problem solely lies in this so-call chef mindset and thoughts.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

7 hours ago, Icedbs said:

Like those road HK si gina...?

“No China no China, i is Brick dish” 

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged

Over sensitive, not sure what the big deal is.. if don't understand just say don't know

Got someone commented, if you say hello to a russian because he's white, and he doesn't or don't know how respond, considered racist?

Supercharged

I say good morning to an british white man.

He seems pissed.

Hes wondering why speak english to him... why so racist to use his native language to speak to him

53 minutes ago, Spurman said:

I say good morning to an british white man.

He seems pissed.

Hes wondering why speak english to him... why so racist to use his native language to speak to him

I used to say good mourning to my ang moh colleagues...till they start to say “same to you”...

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1