Buy a VW without Stepping Foot in a Dealership

RickyWee

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a32840985/vw-car-buying-online-signature/

Volkswagen has announced that its dealerships now offer buyers the ability to send a remote digital signature for vehicle purchases and leases.

Now instead of sitting in the showroom signing paperwork, customers can take care of all their signatures on a tablet.

The technology uses two-factor authentication to help secure the transmission of sensitive data.

If you’re looking to buy a new Volkswagen but would rather not step foot into a showroom because of the ongoing pandemic, the automaker and its financial arm, VW Credit, have unveiled a Sign Anywhere digital solution that supports signing paperwork digitally instead of with paper and pen.

The service is currently available at 420 U.S. VW dealerships after a small pilot program of 10 dealerships began in April. "Planning to implement this technology began two years ago, but since this pandemic took hold, we've accelerated our plan to make this a permanent tool for our dealers," said Anthony Bandmann, CEO of VW Credit.

Since Sign Anywhere has gone live, Volkswagen says that more than 1900 sales and lease transactions have occurred using the system. The technology is powered by CDK Global, and Volkswagen is its first customer using the tech, but it’s likely that other automakers will follow suit as potential customers start seeing the advantages of online car shopping and purchasing.

The Sign Anywhere system will use two-factor authentication (using a second method such as a known device to determine that the correct person is using a service) to secure the transmission of paperwork to reduce the chance of that information falling into the wrong hands. Volkswagen also notes that it's up to individual dealerships to determine if this type of transaction is legal within their state.

Will you guys buy your car using remote signatures or would you prefer to see the salesperson?

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

Turbocharged

Singapore small small not really a concern to visit showroom during normal time. 

With or without pandemic I would want a better price than seeing the salesman/saleswoman.🤣

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

I don't know.. For such a big ticket item, I would want to touch and feel the car, basically enjoy the retail experience

• Praise 2

Supersonic
19 hours ago, Ody_2004 said:

Singapore small small not really a concern to visit showroom during normal time. 

With or without pandemic I would want a better price than seeing the salesman/saleswoman.🤣

That's true. Now all these so-called online car selling is nothing more than a lead generator for the salesman. Maybe hv non-commission product demonstrator to arrange test drive, go make online purchase and bid COE ownself cutting away the middleman maciam buying travel or term insurance liddat. Buying a car isn't all that complicated. 

• Praise 1

13 minutes ago, Soya said:

That's true. Now all these so-called online car selling is nothing more than a lead generator for the salesman. Maybe hv non-commission product demonstrator to arrange test drive, go make online purchase and bid COE ownself cutting away the middleman maciam buying travel or term insurance liddat. Buying a car isn't all that complicated. 

No test drive never mine as long as at least 10% cheaper than buying offline.

• Haha! 1

Supersonic
30 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

No test drive never mine as long as at least 10% cheaper than buying offline.

Maybe 10% a bit optimistic. If say a AD offer $3k off (assuming that's the salesman comm & incidentals) for DIY purchase on a $80k car, I'm sure many would bite.

(edited)
20 hours ago, Ody_2004 said:

during this period, we saw moderation of VW GTi drop from 171 to 158. 

As long as advert on Lazada can improved the Dealership price, more likely I will buy from the E commerce platform as I wont be able to test out the car on the usual fixed" test drive"  route, unless the sales person is a regular that I buy from. 

But a few K more of discount is hard to ignore.

Anyway, after you buy, does anyone here really believe your sales person remotely care enough about your welfare or your car day to day running issue ? 

And if there is a pre launch invite, the prices would be something really palatable that you wont get to experience it after the event anyway, so yeah Buying on line works. 

Edited by Sdf4786k

(edited)

when i want to buy a particular car model

i have google until cows come home

read blogs, reviews, forum postings until self poisoned liao

watch youtube videos until i can explain back to the salesperson

the on site see see touch touch the seat, slamming the car door, and the pathetic 20mins test drive really just to self approved must buy ... lol

to me PRICE is everything ... the salesperson do not convince me this car is awesome

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 6
  • Haha! 1

18 minutes ago, Wt_know said:

the on site see see touch touch the seat, slamming the car door, and the pathetic 15mins test drive really just to self approved must buy ... lol

Fully agree.

To put my word where my mouth is, my last 2 new cars were bought from PIs and without doing test-drive. As Wt_know shared, you can know much more through the youtube videos than the SE. I do not think any current generation car can drive so badly that  you regretted only after you collected the car and driving it for the first time. Any issues would have been highlighted by the reviewers if you have done enough due diligence.

Basically those who have been buying from PIs have already gotten used to not doing test drive, and I am sure this concept will work if the discount is good enough. Even $1k saved is some money that can be better spent to buy more gadgets or for good dinner.

• Praise 1

Supersonic
12 minutes ago, Wt_know said:

the on site see see touch touch the seat, slamming the car door, and the pathetic 20mins test drive really just to self approved must buy ... lol

to me PRICE is everything ... the salesperson do not convince me this car is awesome

Think when many of us go buy car, we actually know the car more than the salesman...lol

Sometimes they are a barrier to buying more than anything else

Yes there are those buyers who need others to do everything for them. Kinda like joining a package tour. They can listen to and pay whatever the salesman offer. Nothing wrong if that's what they're comfy with.

Just wished there was a DIY option for those of us who oredi done our homework and know the way around. Kinda like a free & easy holiday that's cheaper n no need to be herded to compulsory shopping to some marked up ginseng or jewellery tourist trap.

(edited)
5 minutes ago, Heartlander said:

Fully agree.

To put my word where my mouth is, my last 2 new cars were bought from PIs and without doing test-drive. As Wt_know shared, you can know much more through the youtube videos than the SE. I do not think any current generation car can drive so badly that  you regretted only after you collected the car and driving it for the first time. Any issues would have been highlighted by the reviewers if you have done enough due diligence.

Basically those who have been buying from PIs have already gotten used to not doing test drive, and I am sure this concept will work if the discount is good enough. Even $1k saved is some money that can be better spent to buy more gadgets or for good dinner.

for me, I usually visit the car service dept to hear those horror stories first while drinking coffee. Service advisor normally gets unsolicited feedback on the ride problem of owners.

And hence , even before you buy the car from VW, you would have prepare yourself for the water pump and wheel sensor failure for the existing cars that is across the platform.

Only part that does not have is the trade in of the owners car. 

As long as the owner has the " self help" platform to scrap or sell the cars on their own, the buying experience should be irrelevant. But even then, the owners car is usually traded in a few thousand lower then what the market is doing, so no love lost really.

Edited by Sdf4786k

Supersonic
5 minutes ago, Heartlander said:

Fully agree.

For me, a test drive is a must. Paper specs & reviews don't tell the full story. Many times I've walked away from the test drive disappointed that what I read vs what I felt didn't match up. Similarly,  there were also a few pleasant surprises the other way round.

How a car feels is subjective to different folks. So what is 'good' to a (paid) reviewer mindful of business continuity from a AD isn't necessarily good if one has to actually pay for it.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3