Expats feeling the heat in Sinkapore

StreetFight3r

6 minutes ago, Staff69 said:

With election just around the corner,  lots of positive news are coming out to give the peasants a feel good feeling so as to re-elect the incumbent. Almost feels like living in paradise. 

https://www.theonlinecitizen.com/2020/04/21/singapore-falls-to-158-on-2020-world-press-freedom-index-categorised-as-black/

Good News

No.1 in VERY BAD CATEGORY.

Above us is Kazahstan.

Below us is Sudan

As compared to our neighbour

Malaysia: 101

Indonesia; 119

Brunei: 152

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

Turbocharged
(edited)
26 minutes ago, Dinosaur33 said:

Please allow me to say a word of fairness. We should express our sympathy to everyone whose job/income is being affected during this covid-19 crisis. Everyone is important to us, whether you are a expat or a migrant foreigner worker. It would be wrong to use the same brush to paint the same picture to everyone and apply to everyone.

Some expats do have family to feed in Singapore as well, and they have children to feed as well. There will be bound to be a rotten eggs anywhere you go, be it whether you are local, a tourist or a foreigner (migrant worker or expat). Of course, if you break the law, bullied our citizen and create trouble in our society, then we should come down hard on you.

Likewise if your circumstance is being affected due to unforeseen circumstance, then we will hope that you can be more accommodative and adjust your living lifestyle accordingly as well. It always goes both way. In this manner - we can help each other and adjust to each other ways of living. It cannot be you are driving a luxury car, and our poor citizen is struggling to make a living.

Agree to the above.  And I don't have any comment about expats getting pay cut and so on. Because when comes to job matters, it affects everyone. Now we see the expats facing the brunt simply because JSS doesn't apply to them.

But on a longer term, Sporeans will face it too because the post covid world  will mean companies are more tolerant towards WFH. When that happens, we won't be only  facing job competition from foreigners who are willing to relocate here,  but also with any foreigner around the world who has a laptop and an internet connection.  They don't need to apply S-pass or E-pass. Has any Sporeans even start imagining that situation and realise  how precarious they are in now?

Edited by Icedbs
  • Praise 5
  • Shocked 1

4 hours ago, Philipkee said:

I hope its jobs saved for locals and not jobs lost.

Example.  10 jobs.  4 by locals 6 by expats. 6 expats sent back. I hope it's so that 6 jobs could go to locals and not 6 jobs lost so no one gets any job.

I know what the article says but hear say on the ground there is a lot of unemployment and those jobs where expats are leaving are jobs that are lost totally and not jobs going to locals (or maybe new vacancies are prioritised for locals which is different from expats giving up their jobs for locals to take).

For sure its job lost. 

With the CB and lock downs globally 

HQ realise many jobs are not required or duplicate /redundant. 

Then decide to downsize to fit current economy. 

Some business really become not viable with the new covid economy. 

• Praise 4

4 minutes ago, Icedbs said:

Agree to the above.  And I don't have any comment about expats getting pay cut and so on. Because when comes to job matters, it affects everyone. Now we see the expats facing the brunt simply because JSS doesn't apply to them.

But on a longer term, Sporeans will face it too because the post covid world  will mean companies are more tolerant towards WFH. When that happens, we won't be only  facing job competition from foreigners who are willing to relocate here,  but also with any foreigner around the world who has a laptop and an internet connection. Has any Sporeans even start imagining that situation and realise  how precarious they are in now?

Won't the local job pie get smaller (not all jobs can be offshored) and competition even stiffer? 

Looks like universal income is coming to Singapore?  🤣😂🤣

16 minutes ago, Icedbs said:

But on a longer term, Sporeans will face it too because the post covid world  will mean companies are more tolerant towards WFH. When that happens, we won't be only  facing job competition from foreigners who are willing to relocate here,  but also with any foreigner around the world who has a laptop and an internet connection. Has any Sporeans even start imagining that situation and realise  how precarious they are in now?

I need to add that, everyone must work together - let's not complicate matter worse, in today's circumstance. If you can afford to scale-down your expensive lifestyle in order to hire a additional headcount, then you should do that. Likewise, for those "previously expensive" foreigner that wish to continue to live in Singapore, you should make necessary adjustment to your lifestyle, have some trust in our societal system to take care of your needs. 

Singaporean alike, should adjust to our lifestyle to suits the condition. If have some humane conscious, no one would ever gives a second thought about the living condition of those migrant worker, and look at where are we now at the global stage on this matter, pretty embarrassing.

In this post-covid world, I think it is those who are doing manual work and physical work that are most likely suffered the largest and greatest impact. Not those, who can work from home ("WRH") typing away in their laptops, but instead - those who need to be physically present at the factory, job-site that requires the attention of the government instead. They belong to the older worker, less well informed. No amount of money can equal to the amount of health risk, family sacrifice, lack of attention for their children.

These are the group of people that needs the additional "helper assistance", the washing machine, the basic car for them to do their job. Not those who afford to live in luxury. Those who live in luxury can forgo their maid, their car and work from home for the time being... Every amount of government grant may not mean a lot to you, but it may mean a lot for the people whom you do not see. 

• Praise 3

2 hours ago, StreetFight3r said:

I work for small SME dun even have expats.. majority singaporeans, malaysians, china, myanmar getting popular lately

how is working with or for an expat like? anyone can share their experiences just curious 

They help and favour their own kind lor. 

Not just ceca or kamsamnida or arigato..... 

I am talking about AMDK. 

Some of my peers also shared before like those $6-7K FT probably came here as spouse visa .  Then find any work by, referral or recruitment agencies. 

Have heard and seen lower range that close to EP minimum. 

Then some companies in order to bypass useless Jobbank, get referral + resume + interviews..... Then after 3 months say non of those can fit the JD, then hire AMDK. 

Best is those job above the Jobbank criteria more than $14k. Sure hire AMDK... 

But luckily now this has increased to $20k, used to be $10k when it started out... that also meant MOM was really out of touch when they 1st implemented the process and set the criteria. 

Even for regional markets

Does AMDK really know the regional markets better if they do not have regional market experience? 

Some of their practices in their home markets also cannot match what we do in SG. 

To them is probably to share it back home. Which is very good as that will enhance the status of SG biz environment. 

Hiring practice is their preference. 

But as colleagues and bosses. 

Majority are good. Like 60%.

40% are leaches. 😅

• Praise 3

36 minutes ago, Icedbs said:

Has any Sporeans even start imagining that situation and realise  how precarious they are in now?

I sometimes wonder if medical field can go this way as well.

Have one booth. You go in, make payment by credit card and a doctor will see you online.  In the booth you can have a BP machine, thermometer and heart monitor.  You talk to the doctor online.  He prescribes you a medicine and the prescription is printed out.  You then get the medicine from a nearby pharmacy or you get it from a vending machine.  

You will still need a clinic and maybe a healthcare assistant to man the machine and top up medicines but cost will be lower cos you dont have to pay for a doctor to sit in the clinic.  Of cos it's only for basic medical care but who knows where it can lead to?

Or if you are willing to just have a tele consult you just need a laptop and internet connection and the doctor can advice you to either see a doctor.or just give you an MC by email - for a fee.

1 hour ago, Throttle2 said:

Probably 1 out of 1000 is a real expat on expat terms today.

Have seen an SME who has an AMDK as partner, working as MD who in fact is really lousy doing his job. Can't recall if he was Singaporean already or PR

Like to shout at some of his staff. Even other AMDK. 

Heard he left already. 

Same country as blade runner that accidentally shot his GF. 

Whatever it is, Singapore Government must look after its own citizens first. If FT got to go, they got to go. 

• Praise 9
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Atonchia said:

Have seen an SME who has an AMDK as partner, working as MD who in fact is really lousy doing his job. Can't recall if he was Singaporean already or PR

Like to shout at some of his staff. Even other AMDK. 

Heard he left already. 

Same country as blade runner that accidentally shot his GF. 

Shout?

thats low class

Twincharged
(edited)
11 hours ago, Wt_know said:

the type of zuckerberg or FAANG quality expats dont come here la

come here are the 1/2 bake type and talk big ... $7.5K is overpaid liao [laugh] 

sinkies $5K-$6.5K would do a better job and expected to answer whatsapp during weekend liao ... lol

Got la. Dyson ceo.. He choose to come sg and create jobs for Singaporeans leh. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/business-48932334

Edited by Yewheng
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

(edited)
22 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

20 percent paycut ending up at 6,000?

Meaning original only $7500?? 

What kind of half F "Talent" is this? Even if that's only basic pay, it's still quite pathetic.

FT not necessarily earning high 5 digits,  at every level  of pay scales there are FT to compete with us. 7.5k is likely an individual contributor like a mid level IT professional, people in the medical care field or whatever. Dont underestimate this group of people , the sheer volume of FT earning this salary range is depriving our local Singaporean from getting even a chance for  interview, letting alone landing them a job.  Go Chennai business park to see it for yourself , you will know what I mean.

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 7
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, Tiger1 said:

Whatever it is, Singapore Government must look after its own citizens first. If FT got to go, they got to go. 

So true. Gahmen takes good care of citizens first. 

Until erections is over, that is. 

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 8

Turbocharged
On 6/13/2020 at 12:31 AM, Vinceng said:

Do you know how many of these 'talents' are jobless in their home countries? 😁

But I must say they can be very articulate. 😂

Articulate and bluff are different things.

But yes, I have gone thru a number of job interviews and can't help but noticed many interviewers take things at face value. 

If one fake wishes to take the chance, it is very easy for them to land a job here. And I believe the MOM won't be checking on their experience and background either.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
15 hours ago, Apple-Tree said:

So I guess you all feel a bit shiok with the impression that Singaporean are better off hor.  It affected more foreigner hor.

So, SUREBO, 60% foreigner affected wor and NOT 60% Singaporean wor.

Elections coming, all the fake news sure give the shiok shiok feeling about BEING CARED FOR...... wow ...... I LOVE IT.

I find this article specially crafted to make us Singaporeans 'feel good'. Useless and might even be a fake news as suggested.

The writer probably forgot that foreigners esp AMTK won't settle for less than 10k salary with that kind of lifestyle. As someone pointed out, 7.5k before paycut? How can that be.

And they have minimum wage to qualify for a EP here, and employers won't apply with that minimum for it may likely kenna rejected.

• Praise 4

4 hours ago, Atonchia said:

They help and favour their own kind lor. 

Not just ceca or kamsamnida or arigato..... 

I am talking about AMDK. 

Some of my peers also shared before like those $6-7K FT probably came here as spouse visa .  Then find any work by, referral or recruitment agencies. 

Have heard and seen lower range that close to EP minimum. 

Then some companies in order to bypass useless Jobbank, get referral + resume + interviews..... Then after 3 months say non of those can fit the JD, then hire AMDK. 

Best is those job above the Jobbank criteria more than $14k. Sure hire AMDK... 

But luckily now this has increased to $20k, used to be $10k when it started out... that also meant MOM was really out of touch when they 1st implemented the process and set the criteria. 

Even for regional markets

Does AMDK really know the regional markets better if they do not have regional market experience? 

Some of their practices in their home markets also cannot match what we do in SG. 

To them is probably to share it back home. Which is very good as that will enhance the status of SG biz environment. 

Hiring practice is their preference. 

But as colleagues and bosses. 

Majority are good. Like 60%.

40% are leaches. 😅

The higher pay job will go to AMDK, then the sub 10k will go to verylongnameicannotprounce, next is they will hire their whole village here. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 4