Expats feeling the heat in Sinkapore

StreetFight3r

We have close to 4mil work force... 10% redundancy is 400k jobs lost..

globally governments are massively injecting the economies to postpone a global collapse whilst a cure is being developed.. if we don’t do like wise.. we don’t stand a chance.

expats not getting a share of the pie.. isn’t exactly fair imo... afterall... they do pay their taxes here.. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4
  • Haha! 2

FT are talented, highly mobile and skills no locals have according to govt narrative. They pay taxes, true,but they can leave in a whim. While here, enjoy our typical SG hospitality, excellent infrastructure, education and safe environment. It's purely transactional, nothing unfair unless they sink their roots here.

Imo, government is voted in on the premise to better it's people lives. If they cannot do it, they deserved to be voted out.

• Praise 12

Twincharged
8 hours ago, Mockngbrd said:

Means they are preparing for more than 100k jobs to be lost. 

Ya, its very bad. Only hope that government created these jobs are just for short to medium term, aka when economy start picking up, slowly release these government created jobs back to private sector to take. If not in long term basis, when government jobs keep expending till a point there is lopsided, meaning government jobs overwhelming and private sector jobs kept shrinking. Then where do government continue to get money? Government still need to pay salaries to those working in the government sector, and private sector jobs keep shrinking, the contribution to the government need to come from somewhere to fund for all these expenses. So in long run it will make things worst. 

Turbocharged

firm supporter of "hire Singaporeans first" here...

but even i have to admit, some (or rather many) Singaporeans, especially the younger ones, are damn choosy... or too idealistic?

cannot take hardship, dun want OTs, dun want hands dirty, want unrealistic high pays without proving anything yet, want managerial roles but stress free and no responsibilities type

(got such jobs, i also want myself lah)

dunno izzit our educational system fails?

• Praise 9
  • Haha! 2

16 minutes ago, Scion said:

but even i have to admit, some (or rather many) Singaporeans, especially the younger ones, are damn choosy... or too idealistic?

cannot take hardship, dun want OTs, dun want hands dirty, want unrealistic high pays without proving anything yet, want managerial roles but stress free and no responsibilities type

Better quality of life may give rise to a tendency of taking for granted or self entitlement. But jobs nowadays are not confined to single scope or task and call for multiskill and multitasking, especially in our context of pure human capital 

• Praise 3

(edited)

Not fair to label most of our youngsters as not able to take hardships, don't want OT, don't want to get hands dirty, etc. From my own anecdotal experiences, this is simply not true and I want to stick my neck out for them. So many online falsehood about them.. Here are some of my observations:

1) I have 3 young Singaporeans in my company who are very driven and they do work hard and work long hours. 1 just has a kid, and 1 just graduated 2 years ago. They are diploma holders;

2) the 2 Singaporean auditors auditing us - they work until 10pm to 12am most days in Mar;

3) I have a nephew and an in-law who work as junior doctors at NTF and CGH. They do very long shift; and

4) My sis heads the Compliance team of a bank, and she told me her team works very late to clear alerts and hits. Her team is all Singaporeans.

Above are all anecdotal and pre-WFH CB. My point is we should not discredit the majority of our youngsters when we do not know whats going on outside our own encounters. There are a lot of honest hardworking Singapore kids around. I stand up for them.

Edited by Weez911
  • Praise 9

(edited)
9 hours ago, SuPerBoRed said:

We have close to 4mil work force... 10% redundancy is 400k jobs lost..

globally governments are massively injecting the economies to postpone a global collapse whilst a cure is being developed.. if we don’t do like wise.. we don’t stand a chance.

expats not getting a share of the pie.. isn’t exactly fair imo... afterall... they do pay their taxes here.. 

wrong.. as long as you away from the country for more than 6 months, you can choose to pay taxes back home as well. But yeah, most have their taxes Paid by the company when you are the expats. 

But I understand, nowadays, the package is "local plus" . Means less fringe benefit, and hence have to do a swap out, job rotation to HK or India.

In India, you still get the usual Car and driver and a house foot by ah kong.

After that tour of duty, you route back to singapore.

Edited by Sdf4786k
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged
11 hours ago, Soya said:

If u so sure those engineers u know dun hv the qualifications required by law, u shld poh mata on them coz that's a serious safety lapse n punishable by law. No point saying it here in MCF

As I have said, is there a law or code of practice that state you cannot appoint RE or RTO without a recognized degree or diploma? The code of practice only requires the QP to sign off or do submission.  To register as a QP there are strict requirements. BTW QP is Qualified Person. 

14 hours ago, Philipkee said:

Its kalimantan.....  Myanmar or Vietnam but not Bali.....

Why discrimination one? 

You too good for Bali lady? 

You don't like to eat suckling 🐷 

:D

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 3

3 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

Why discrimination one? 

You too good for Bali lady? 

You don't like to eat suckling 🐷 

:D

Never been to Bali.  I dunno what's there.  I only know got beach and male masseur there.  You sound like an expert  :D

• Haha! 1

Supersonic
24 minutes ago, Victor68 said:

As I have said, is there a law or code of practice that state you cannot appoint RE or RTO without a recognized degree or diploma?

If u have to ask such a question,  no point discussing oredi....

• Haha! 1

Twincharged
1 hour ago, Scion said:

its lao peh lao bu fault la.

"ah boy, ah girl... wah how come this job so tough... if too tough then just quit la". " lim peh will give you pocket money...slowly find something you like."

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Twincharged
(edited)
1 hour ago, Scion said:

Not surprising, if you look at those people who commented on phv drivers Facebook page, these people who drive phv still think too highly on themselves such that like what you said darn choosy, too idealistic, cannot take hardship, don't want hands dirty.. You name it, it's all over there in that phv drivers Facebook page. Haiz.. 

Edited by Yewheng

Twincharged
10 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

its lao peh lao bu fault la.

"ah boy, ah girl... wah how come this job so tough... if too tough then just quit la". " lim peh will give you pocket money...slowly find something you like."

To even a point where government need to tell young graduates to lower their expectations and take lower pay job to get experience in this pandamic and upcoming economic crisis. Darn jia lat 

1 hour ago, Philipkee said:

Never been to Bali.  I dunno what's there.  I only know got beach and male masseur there.  You sound like an expert  :D

Thank you very much. What you say is true.

I am an expert male masseur.

:grin:

Anyway Bali is very beautiful, with really great food and the ladies are very gentle and graceful.

If you never there you are missing out.

BB and I love it there and we post a lot of photos in MCF

See for yourself.

https://www.mycarforum.com/forums/topic/2717958-bbs-first-bali-trip-amidst-covid-19-scare/?tab=comments#comment-6832094

https://www.mycarforum.com/forums/topic/2717577-bali-5d4n-suggestions-for-a-first-timer/?tab=comments#comment-6785511

https://www.mycarforum.com/forums/topic/2718400-coaching-for-free/?page=2

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2