Looking to get a Karoq but have some concerns about the Skoda brand and the resale value

Kazman27

Neutral Newbie

Hi all

A newbie here..looking to get a Karoq but really worried about the Skoda brand and the resale value etc...the new RAV4 is also a great bet and pretty much similarly priced...I have decided that the CX5 wouldn't be worth it due to smaller boot space and other items...3 year warranty only etc..

Any thoughts? Can some Karoq owner PM me or assist. Also what do you think how long will the karoq take to deliver...and the best price u have received for Style version. TIA!

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged
(edited)
On 6/13/2020 at 11:26 AM, Kazman27 said:

Hi all

A newbie here..looking to get a Karoq but really worried about the Skoda brand and the resale value etc...the new RAV4 is also a great bet and pretty much similarly priced...I have decided that the CX5 wouldn't be worth it due to smaller boot space and other items...3 year warranty only etc..

Any thoughts? Can some Karoq owner PM me or assist. Also what do you think how long will the karoq take to deliver...and the best price u have received for Style version. TIA!

Hi, current Skoda Karoq ambition model owner here. I am also worried by the brand and resale value too before I bought the car. But things change after I got the car, as I think the car is really value for money (powerful engine and lots of storage space). Whether the resale value affect me can only wait when I sell the car later.

RAV4 was not out yet when I got my car 1 year ago, so no comment. Heard CX 5 is underpowered and the price was too high for me, so no go for me too.

Mine car collection was quite fast, 1 month I think . Local AD was fast in securing the COE, 1 bid got it. With the COVID situation now, you need to go and talk to the SE to find out more. Best if you can test drive and have a feel for yourself.  Only regret is that I didn't get the style model as it was out of my budget. 

Edited by Daniu82
  • Praise 1

On 6/13/2020 at 11:26 AM, Kazman27 said:

Hi all

Maybe you should be more worried about the reliability down the years instead of resale value and brand. 

if you want brand - buy a a mercs

if you want resale value - buy a toyota/honda

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Skoda cars quite common on the road nowadays le, dont know if their reliablity is good or not. Lol. But i sat in my colleague Skoda before, dont know if it is Karoq or kodiaq, i find the ride quite good.

Supersonic
6 hours ago, Hamburger said:

Get a toyota

Or get out from the cave. 

Ooooh.....hard truths

If straight off the bat, top concerns are resale and brand name, ownself answer ownself already

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Aiya, most important is to go thru the experience once yourself cos now whatever ppl say it will not enter your head. You are smitten by the car. So when you go thru the same shit ppl go thru then you will tell yourself, "never again".

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

16 minutes ago, Soya said:

Ooooh.....hard truths

If straight off the bat, top concerns are resale and brand name, ownself answer ownself already

Those that are sceptical about Skoda branding are either not familiar with automobile of modern era or still very much stuck with the 80s mindset that one must die die stick to jap car to be safe. 

• Praise 3

I doubt ppl will know the weakness of a DCT or a DSG. 

Dont care what brand, the two clutch will wear at some point, either one or both. The symptom will be the gb starts hunting for gears to get a "biting point". That's what ppl will feel, the car jerking off. It's not a gb problem as many will think. It's also dangerous to drive on the road when you get this kinda symptom.

The clutch will cease when it overheats in a traffic jam. While other cars move on you are stranded along the road waiting for the clutch to cool down.

You got to be mentally prepared and have important contact numbers stored in your phone. No other form of clutch give you these issues because other gb use a torque converter. 

Replacing the two clutch is also quite tedious. The labour cost to dismantling and assembling to get to them. It's important to know what you are getting yourself into. If you are coming from a Japanese car you will find this hard to accept.

• Praise 3

Supersonic
1 hour ago, Hamburger said:

Those that are sceptical about Skoda branding are either not familiar with automobile of modern era or still very much stuck with the 80s mindset that one must die die stick to jap car to be safe. 

But to be fair, the last 2 Skoda ventures in Sg was a spectacular failure. The current line up is a far cry from those bad old days but rebuilding the brandname will take at least a decade.

Look at how Kia made a comeback from those dismal days b4 C&C. But even Kia still face certain brand prejudice today compared to Toyota

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Hamburger said:

Nth wrong with asking around from skoda owners if one is thinking of buying. only owners will know kinks and quirks n anything related to warranty claim etc..those stuck in the 80s mindset will be the condemn or tell you dun waste time on skoda one

Not a skoda owner n not familiar with one but the octavia is attractive n oso priced reasonably..that has changed my perspective of skoda.. If u watch n read reviews online so far the comeback of skoda has been quite well received 

• Praise 1

Haven't even signed already thinking about resale value, doesn't sound like you are 100% sold on the car. Aside from the toyota/honda/top 3 German brands, none of the other makes have good resale value

Supersonic
18 minutes ago, StreetFight3r said:

Not a skoda owner n not familiar with one but the octavia is attractive n oso priced reasonably..that has changed my perspective of skoda.. If u watch n read reviews online so far the comeback of skoda has been quite well received 

Waiting for the next gen lineup for it to really hit the stride

2 hours ago, Watwheels said:

I doubt ppl will know the weakness of a DCT or a DSG. 

Dont care what brand, the two clutch will wear at some point, either one or both. The symptom will be the gb starts hunting for gears to get a "biting point". That's what ppl will feel, the car jerking off. It's not a gb problem as many will think. It's also dangerous to drive on the road when you get this kinda symptom.

The clutch will cease when it overheats in a traffic jam. While other cars move on you are stranded along the road waiting for the clutch to cool down.

You got to be mentally prepared and have important contact numbers stored in your phone. No other form of clutch give you these issues because other gb use a torque converter. 

Replacing the two clutch is also quite tedious. The labour cost to dismantling and assembling to get to them. It's important to know what you are getting yourself into. If you are coming from a Japanese car you will find this hard to accept.

Scotty Kilmer also says twin clutch is a no no and manufacturs are moving away from it. But ZF 8 speed is very good!

• Praise 2

6 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Scotty Kilmer also says twin clutch is a no no and manufacturs are moving away from it. But ZF 8 speed is very good!

Haha... Maybe there's some truths whether ppl believe or not. Car makers like Audi are moving in that direction with their big sedans.

If you look at the hardcore gearheads or petrolheads in the US you will never see them put a DCT mated to their V8. It's either a stickshift or a slushbox. So expect Scotty to say the same.

↡ Advertisement