National anthem

Fitvip

(edited)

Just now heard the National Anthem being played on channel 8 just before 1930 hrs. 

I felt the tune was very slow and depressing. Not lively at all.

Has anyone notice it? What is your comment? 

Edited by Fitvip
↡ Advertisement

I find it quite OK, very soothing and peaceful. 很走心。And so much better than the earlier "funeral" version.

But playing it hourly now seems to point to some national event heading our way... 

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 4

(edited)
26 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Is it in line with National Anthem act?
🤭

Guess so. 😁

NATIONAL ANTHEM

Occasions for performing National Anthem

11.—(1)  The National Anthem shall be performed when the President receives a general salute.

(2)  The National Anthem may be performed or sung on any appropriate occasion.

Respect for National Anthem

12.  When the National Anthem is performed or sung, every person present shall stand up as a mark of respect.

Musical arrangements of National Anthem

13.—(1)  Any person performing or singing the National Anthem shall perform or sing the National Anthem according to the official arrangement in the Third Schedule or any other arrangement permitted under paragraph (2).(2)  The National Anthem may be rearranged in any manner that is in keeping with the dignity due to the National Anthem, subject to the following conditions:

(a)the National Anthem shall not be incorporated into any other composition or medley; and

(b)every arrangement of the National Anthem shall accurately reflect the complete tune and the complete official lyrics of the National Anthem.

(3)  Any person who sings the National Anthem —

(a)shall follow the official lyrics in the Third Schedule; and

(b)shall not sing any translation of those lyrics.

I guess "appropriate occasion" includes public morale boosting for... um... miscellaneous reasons. 😂

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 2

1 hour ago, Carbon82 said:

I find it quite OK, very soothing and peaceful. 很走心。And so much better than the earlier "funeral" version.

But playing it hourly now seems to point to some national event heading our way... 

Funeral songs can be soothing and peaceful too. Imo, the National Anthem is expected to be strong, lively and vibrant. 

• Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Fitvip said:

Funeral songs can be soothing and peaceful too. Imo, the National Anthem is expected to be strong, lively and vibrant. 

Agree that National Anthem should be sang in a strong, lively and vibrant way to eludes the energy. I never agree when the Anthem is sang in an "artistic" way to show off the singer's vocal, like in example of last year's NDP and during F1 time. An Anthem represents the country which should always be sang in the right way.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
10 hours ago, Fitvip said:

funeral songs can be fast and catchy too

just refer to Astronomia 2K19 🤣

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

8 hours ago, Heartbreakid said:

Agree that National Anthem should be sang in a strong, lively and vibrant way to eludes the energy. I never agree when the Anthem is sang in an "artistic" way to show off the singer's vocal, like in example of last year's NDP and during F1 time. An Anthem represents the country which should always be sang in the right way.

"The National Anthem may be rearranged in any manner that is in keeping with the dignity due to the National Anthem" 

So it hinges on the "dignity" due the Anthem. Ordinarily that would be subjective, but we in Singapore are very fortunate to have a leadership that's given us an objective measure for dignity. Based on comments a certain prominent member of said leadership has made before, dignity is all about the money. And since I'm sure the rearrangement cost a lot of money, not least going to our musical talent, I'm sure there's enough dignity to go around. 😁

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

25 minutes ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

Reminds you that if your're SINGAPOREAN by birth & above 21yrs, you need to vote .......  :yuush: 

:XD:

Don't vote will lose your birth right to VOTE

• Haha! 1

6 minutes ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

NO ....  [:p]

Means you undecided which side is good for you ... :secret-laugh:

Even undecided also my vote.  Otherwise, confirm lose this birth right.

11 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Even undecided also my vote.  Otherwise, confirm lose this birth right.

Don't know ley, never tried before... :ph34r:

You try this time round and do a FR on it for our knowledge... :slow:

1 minute ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

Don't know ley, never tried before... :ph34r:

You try this time round and do a FR on it for our knowledge... :slow:

https://www.eld.gov.sg/voters_compulsory.html

Non-voters cannot vote at any subsequent Presidential or Parliamentary election, and they are disqualified from being a candidate at any subsequent Presidential or Parliamentary election.

Pay a small fee to reinstate and you will get back your birth right. 

I'm always ready to vote.  In the past, I needed to be excused from work to vote. Now I can vote any time.

I was even ready to vote for the elected president, but my service was not needed. 

Back to topic. 

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Fitvip said:

Pay a small fee to reinstate and you will get back your birth right. 

I'm always ready to vote.  In the past, I needed to be excused from work to vote. Now I can vote any time.

I was even ready to vote for the elected president, but my service was not needed. 

Back to topic. 

A non-voter can restore his name to the register by submitting an application to the Registration Officer with an explanation as to why he did not vote in the election. The application may be made online via the Services provided on this website using SingPass or through over-the-counter assistance at any community centre/club or the Elections Department. A fee of $50 will be imposed if a non-voter does not have a valid and sufficient reason for not voting.

When applying for restoration of their names to the Registers of Electors, non-voters are to state their reasons for failing to cast their vote at the earlier election. Some of the acceptable reasons are:

1. working overseas (including being on a business trip) at the time of the poll;
  2. studying overseas at the time of the poll;
  3. living with their spouse who is working or studying overseas;
  4. overseas vacation; and
  5. illness, or delivering a baby.

What Should a Voter Do If He Foresees He Cannot Vote in This Election?

After Nomination Day, if a qualified elector’s electoral division is contested and he is unable to vote in the election due to unforeseen circumstances (e.g. overseas on Polling Day) but wishes to vote at future elections, he may pre-apply for his name to be restored to the registers by submitting an application online via the Services provided on this website using SingPass or seek over-the-counter assistance at any community centre/club or the Elections Department. Applications for restoration of names received during the election period will only be processed after the list of electors who had failed to vote at the election (also known as the non-voter list) is compiled after the election.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1