Group Drive To KL or Kuantan

NightWind

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, Shibadog said:

I understand where u are coming from. Esp if driving in rural areas. Or even urban areas where the road isn't swept clean as often in SG.

I do solo drives up north to Msia and Thai occasionally, up to 8k km each time. A lot of the time is spent in ulu areas and sometimes unpaved roads. And out of cellphone coverage. A real concern (among others) is tyre damage beyond usable condition. In order to mitigate this, i:

1) use tyres that are considered a common size even up north, so that it's easier to replace*

2) carry a full size spare (a bit more difficult if using staggered rims)

3) carry a tyre repair kit and 12V compressor

4) have a good torch light (or two) in case of night fall.

my first time to north thai, I even considered bringing two full spares but decided it was overkill.

so far, I've only experienced a puncture when heading south towards KL. Changed to spare tyre myself and went to a tyre shop to repair the puncture.

to be honest, I see all these as part n parcel of the "adventure" of road trips. I know people who blew engines while driving up north. This is really cry one night.

*but I drive a bread n butter car. Exotic cars usually have more unique tyre requirements.

bonus pic - I took this RORO/LCT to cross a lake in Thai. In Jan 2020.
This was during a drought thus the water level was lower than the dry season norm.

boat.thumb.jpeg.76b5f024e7340f799b4f877dd73c1b67.jpeg

Share with us more of your adventure! I am keen! 🙂

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged
3 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Share with us more of your adventure! I am keen! 🙂

I posted pics in this thread. Minimal descriptions.

adrianli does much better write ups with details of his trips.

• Praise 4

Internal Moderator
57 minutes ago, Shibadog said:

I posted pics in this thread. Minimal descriptions.

adrianli does much better write ups with details of his trips.

woah. that was 8 years ago. Going to do one soon?

I mean after the virus lah. hahah.

Turbocharged
38 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

woah. that was 8 years ago. Going to do one soon?

I mean after the virus lah. hahah.

8yrs ago? that's not me la. I merely posted in the thread instead of starting a new one. I think I posted trips in 2018, 2019 and 2020.

yes planning to go again when (if?) the covid situation is manageable.

• Praise 1

On 6/22/2020 at 11:28 AM, NightWind said:

There r many other cases where they target ordinary sg cars. 

Maybe popular Conti or Jap, but not others, unless your car is cluttered or you are trapped in a bank robbery where any car is good enough to run away as long it moves.

I think buying a unpopular non-flashy car in the view of Malaysians is also another way to prevent car theft, at least in MY.

For example, statistics shows that MY thieves are more inclined to steal a Civic than Elantra, so I would buy and drive the Elantra instead.

• Praise 1

9 minutes ago, Brass said:

Maybe popular Conti or Jap, but not others, unless your car is cluttered or you are trapped in a bank robbery where any car is good enough to run away as long it moves.

I think buying a unpopular non-flashy car in the view of Malaysians is also another way to prevent car theft, at least in MY.

For example, statistics shows that MY thieves are more inclined to steal a Civic than Elantra, so I would buy and drive the Elantra instead.

There are many flashy cars in KL. Why target Sg cars which are far and few in KL?  Don't know about others, but I actually carry more cash in home territory than when I am overseas. To carjack a flashy Sg car, statistically, it would have been a much longer wait for any criminal. Don't think Sg cars are targeted specifically. 

The risk is always there, just be sensible, avoid certain places at certain time and park in car parks with lot of traffic and human flows. 

Popular makes stolen for parts or for exports to Indonesia and Indochina, I read. 

• Praise 3

(edited)
1 hour ago, Voodooman said:

There are many flashy cars in KL. Why target Sg cars which are far and few in KL?  

Simple. Because the flashy cars in KL are often driven by the rich and connected. Which means any robber targeting them will surely be marked. The polis will be highly "motivated" to catch them but maybe they're likely to die in custody, get my meaning? All it takes is a call to their friend the Sultan, the Crown Prince, or the Police Commissioner, etc. In a country that's lawless (relative to ours), it can cut both ways.

In contrast, in SG even the rich and connected guai guai do things by the book most of the time. It's just a different environment. And flashy car SG drivers are even more powerless up North, in general.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Haha! 2

8 hours ago, Voodooman said:

There are many flashy cars in KL. Why target Sg cars which are far and few in KL?  Don't know about others, but I actually carry more cash in home territory than when I am overseas. To carjack a flashy Sg car, statistically, it would have been a much longer wait for any criminal. Don't think Sg cars are targeted specifically. 

The risk is always there, just be sensible, avoid certain places at certain time and park in car parks with lot of traffic and human flows. 

Popular makes stolen for parts or for exports to Indonesia and Indochina, I read. 

To avoid carjack, don't use steering lock.

All bags are to be kept in trunk or on floor.  If car as low as mine, better keep in boot.

6 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

Simple. Because the flashy cars in KL are often driven by the rich and connected. Which means any robber targeting them will surely be marked. The polis will be highly "motivated" to catch them but maybe they're likely to die in custody, get my meaning? All it takes is a call to their friend the Sultan, the Crown Prince, or the Police Commissioner, etc. In a country that's lawless (relative to ours), it can cut both ways.

In contrast, in SG even the rich and connected guai guai do things by the book most of the time. It's just a different environment. And flashy car SG drivers are even more powerless up North, in general.

Depends on how you define flashy car.

Macan, Panny & Cayenne are not flashy.  Urus is flashy.

A lot of triad head also drive flashy car.

The super good side, F12 can mod with Capristo Racing Exhaust.

• Praise 1

2 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Depends on how you define flashy car.

Macan, Panny & Cayenne are not flashy.  Urus is flashy.

A lot of triad head also drive flashy car.

The super good side, F12 can mod with Capristo Racing Exhaust.

Oh I don't consider Macan, Panny, Cayenne flashy in the least. I barely even consider them Porsches. 😁

• Haha! 2

18 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

To avoid carjack, don't use steering lock.

All bags are to be kept in trunk or on floor.  If car as low as mine, better keep in boot.

Er y dont use steering lock? N whats ur ride? Judging from ur handle i guess its a bm?

Tbh i think all sg plates will b targetted becoz we r on their turf, we dont know the area as well as them, we are also quite passive n docile, conditioned slaves by PAP so easy to take down

1 minute ago, NightWind said:

Er y dont use steering lock? N whats ur ride? Judging from ur handle i guess its a bm?

Tbh i think all sg plates will b targetted becoz we r on their turf, we dont know the area as well as them, we are also quite passive n docile, conditioned slaves by PAP so easy to take down

I had driven my Mini up to Cameron.  By having steering lock, it will prolong your time in car park.

Which 1 more dangerous, carjack or lost car?

What we are lacking is street smartness.  This applies to everyone who have stay here for some time.  My previous CFO (an Italian) said so.

(edited)
5 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

I had driven my Mini up to Cameron.  By having steering lock, it will prolong your time in car park.

Which 1 more dangerous, carjack or lost car?

What we are lacking is street smartness.  This applies to everyone who have stay here for some time.  My previous CFO (an Italian) said so.

Ahhh ok gotcha bro. Btw my Malaysian coz uses steering wheel lock though. N he does it so fast.

I thought about getting a Mini, but its not straight 6 right?

Btw i been wfh fer 3months now. If i dont get back to office soon i m sure i will b retrenched by sep...

Edited by NightWind

6 minutes ago, NightWind said:

Ahhh ok gotcha bro. Btw my Malaysian coz uses steering wheel lock though. N he does it so fast.

I thought about getting a Mini, but its not straight 6 right?

Btw i been wfh fer 3months now. If i dont get back to office soon i m sure i will b retrenched by sep...

In Malaysia, there is another type of lock below steering column that will start your car from start.

I wish a flat 6 Mini.

7 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

Don't think my Chinese friends in KL think they get special privileges at the police and justice shops in MY but many do drive flashy cars but are not connected.

Rich people are however generally targeted, regardless of the tye of vehicle plates they have.  Robbers and carjackers are mostly small minded criminals who are also probably drug addicts, they don't plan much. They are not bank robbers material.  I just don't think they specifically target Sg cars.

If your hypothesis is true, then MY ministers shouldn't get robbed in MY.  😄

https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia/2013/12/24/burglars-target-deputy-home-ministers-kuching-home/587001

https://mothership.sg/2020/03/syed-saddiq-robbery/

• Haha! 1

32 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

Don't think my Chinese friends in KL think they get special privileges at the police and justice shops in MY but many do drive flashy cars but are not connected.

Rich people are however generally targeted, regardless of the tye of vehicle plates they have.  Robbers and carjackers are mostly small minded criminals who are also probably drug addicts, they don't plan much. They are not bank robbers material.  I just don't think they specifically target Sg cars.

https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia/2013/12/24/burglars-target-deputy-home-ministers-kuching-home/587001

Lol, you might be right. But then again Mini Stars only have special powers in some countries including ours. 😂😂😂

• Haha! 1

36 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

Nong nong time ago, MY female friend front passenger window was smashed by motorcyclist at traffic light.

At the same time, traffic light turned green.  She pedalled to metal (1st car at traffic light).

The motorcyclist tries to snatch her handbag on front passenger seat at traffic light.  I think she drives a Proton then.

• Praise 1

9 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Nong nong time ago, MY female friend front passenger window was smashed by motorcyclist at traffic light.

At the same time, traffic light turned green.  She pedalled to metal (1st car at traffic light).

The motorcyclist tries to snatch her handbag on front passenger seat at traffic light.  I think she drives a Proton then.

Wow she has guts. I think definitely the local drivers there will have more street smartness than sg drivers

↡ Advertisement