Group Drive To KL or Kuantan

NightWind

Hi all m just wondering after covic19, i prefer to drive, if possible, to next vacation. Its safer than being in a confined cabin in a plane.

R there any group drives being organised for a safe drive up north to KL or Kuantan pls?

M planning fer a post covic19 drive up.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

17 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

Post - covid? What a positive thinker you are. 😁

Bro, life goes on. N i cant be confined to a small tiny overpopulated island

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

Turbocharged
56 minutes ago, NightWind said:

Hi all m just wondering after covic19, i prefer to drive, if possible, to next vacation. Its safer than being in a confined cabin in a plane.

R there any group drives being organised for a safe drive up north to KL or Kuantan pls?

M planning fer a post covic19 drive up.

KL and Kuantan are easy to go solo, esp with Google Maps/Waze. No need to be bound by the rigidity of a group drive.  

safety wise, I would say Kuantan probably has a lower risk of petty crime compared to the KL region.

Just be sure to have data roaming or a local sim card

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

5 minutes ago, Shibadog said:

KL and Kuantan are easy to go solo, esp with Google Maps/Waze. No need to be bound by the rigidity of a group drive.  

safety wise, I would say Kuantan probably has a lower risk of petty crime compared to the KL region.

Just be sure to have data roaming or a local sim card

I used to go up alot years back but dont dare to now see

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/not-safe-on-n-s-highway-even-in-convoy

Not safe on N-S Highway, even in convoy

A Ferrari 430 Spyder car spun out of control and crashed while being chased by thugs on the North-South Highway. PHOTO: WANBAO

PUBLISHED

SEP 8, 2008, 6:00 AM SGT

FACEBOOKTWITTER

Carolyn Quek and Kimberly Spykerman

THIS is the car that was wrecked in a daring robbery along the North-South highway in Malaysia on Friday.

The Ferrari 430 Spyder was bought only 10 months ago and cost the owner about $900,000.

It was on its way to meet a convoy of about 20 Ferraris and Maseratis, which had set out earlier that morning for Genting Highlands.

But the lone Ferrari found itself pursued by a Malaysia-registered Mercededes-Benz just before Sungei Besi, the exit for Kuala Lumpur.

The Ferrari driver, a businessman who was accompanied by his wife, tried to shake off the pair in the C-Class Merc – unaware that the same duo had made three attempts to rob members of the convoy earlier.

In the end, he was undone by the weather. His metallic-grey car spun out of control and crashed into a railing and another car.

The thugs used a crowbar to smash the vehicle, before dragging the owner out to rain punches on him.

Stay Informed | Singapore GE

Get breaking news and updates in the lead-up to Polling Day.

By signing up, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms and Conditions.

While his wife fled to get help, four other thugs joined in the attack, before running off with the man’s two watches.

Blood on his face, the victim flagged down oncoming vehicles for help.

As luck would have it, a Maserati, which had been part of the convoy he was trying to join, drove by. The driver, lawyer Krishna Ramachandra, had himself managed to shake off that same Mercedes twice earlier.

Members of the convoy, from the Singapore Ferrari Club, returned to Singapore yesterday evening. So too the Ferrari driver and his wife via another car driven by their chauffeur. The damaged Ferrari is being repaired at a workshop here.

The robbery stunned motoring enthusiasts in car and motorbike clubs for whom convoy trips to Malaysia and beyond are becoming an increasingly common weekend past-time.

BMW Motorcycle Club’s committee member Matthew Chua said he was surprised that a convoy was targeted. “In a group, it is highly unlikely they will attack you,” he said.

Most representatives of motoring clubs said they were left well enough alone on the highway, especially if they maintained “convoy discipline”.

In most cases, there is always a designated leader as well as a “sweeper” – usually the car that brings up the rear of the convoy. Vehicles are also equipped with long-range walkie-talkies to ensure that the members are able to maintain contact with each other throughout the drive.

This is when they warn each other about slow or fast-moving vehicles and when a vehicle needs to make an unscheduled stop.

In the case of the Ferrari, it was not hooked up to the communication system that the other cars in the convoy were on.

Private fund equity manager Mok Weng Sun, 41, member and leader of the Porsche Club Singapore’s racing team, said his club has formal rules on being part of a convoy. No car, for example, is allowed to overtake another and position has to always be maintained.

When the club makes long trips in convoys of 30 to 40 Porsches, there are experienced drivers in the middle to hold the group together.

While there have been no incidents of robbery or other crimes that he can recall, the club still makes sure it does not invite trouble.

They try not to make too many stops or go into small towns off the highway. For toilet or meal breaks, they will keep to the bigger and more popular rest areas.

Mr Mok said that while cars may occasionally try to get into a race with his Porsche, he ignores their challenges. “The key is to not attract unneccesary attention and to stay out of trouble.”

Mr Tony Goldman, 65, safety officer of the Harley Owners Group in Singapore, said: “For motorcycles, we have to maintain a strict formation when we ride, and we also don’t encourage overtaking.”

Motorcyclists also either use blue-tooth walkie talkies attached to their helmets or stay in contact through mobile phones.

All these safeguards are to ensure no member of the convoy gets left behind.

Economic Development Board senior officer Justin Choo, 26, and his party of six found themselves lagging behind – and out of walkie-talkie range of – a convoy of seven cars heading up to Kuala Lumpur last December.

They were in a rented Silver Toyota Wish cruising along the North-South Highway when they realised a black BMW tailgating and honking at them. “I assumed that he was honking at us to get us to give way to him, but he didn’t give us any time to react before he tried to cut in front of us,” he recalled.

Several kilometres of zig-zagging later, the BMW cut in front of the Toyota and forced it to the side of the road. The driver got out and started hurling insults, claiming he had a parang in his car.

Mr Choo said: “He clearly had a chip on his shoulder because he kept insulting Singaporeans. We had to pacify him. We didn’t even dare get out of the car. If not, things might have got out of hand.”

The man got back into his car on the approach of a highway patrol vehicle.

The fact that the Friday’s convoy consisted of Ferraris and Maseratis – both flashy and expensive sports cars – might well have attracted attention.

But the motor clubs say that it could happen to any car – luxury or not.

Mr Melvin Goh, 52, managing director of Lamborghini Singapore, disagrees.

“It doesn’t matter what car you’re driving,” he said. “The sheer fact that you’re driving a Singapore car on a foreign road should make you more alert. And Singaporeans should drive more courteously. After all, it’s the Malaysians’ road – you have to give them leeway.”

He alternates between driving his Alfa Romeo and Lamborghini to Malaysia once a week.

As for Maserati owner Mr Krishna, Friday’s scare is not going to stop him driving to Malaysia: “This is certainly not going to deter me.”

While MY is not as safe as SG as perceived. Sometimes, it's an element of luck matter. It does not help that this case involved a car that will cause eyes to become red. 

• Praise 2

I can't agree more that after Covid-19, I would avoid airplane traveling for a year or two. It is just way too contagious, not to mention many cases are asymptomatic. 

I drove from SG to Cherating beach in 2018. It's really easy to drive there with help of google map or waze. Convey, IMO, is not necessary as you lose the freedom of stopping and resting at your own pace. 

• Praise 5

16 minutes ago, Kangadrool said:

While MY is not as safe as SG as perceived. Sometimes, it's an element of luck matter. It does not help that this case involved a car that will cause eyes to become red. 

There r many other cases where they target ordinary sg cars. 

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
14 minutes ago, NightWind said:

I used to go up alot years back but dont dare to now see

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/not-safe-on-n-s-highway-even-in-convoy

yes am aware of this case but i'm sure it's probably a very small % that get accosted and/or robbed.

I see in your other posts that you got a Maser? perhaps ask the maser grp if anyone is keen to join. Or join an AAS driving trip when they resume.

I have friends that won't drive into Msia for the same reason (even in a convoy), but they will happily hitch a ride with me [laugh] 

that being said, in my opinion, if one has a great fear of this happening, I think it's better not to go, even in a group; It won't be a peaceful and pleasant trip.

• Praise 4

Internal Moderator
6 minutes ago, NightWind said:

There r many other cases where they target ordinary sg cars. 

haha. depends lah. if we drive up with Kenari with singapore plate, the robber won't even take a look at us one.

He will be thinking, own people, let him pass. 😊

I like your positivity! Maybe can plan one. By marking the itinerary and activities first. No point doing a concrete date for now. You cannot guarantee anything for now.

I never been to Kuantan before. There got what to do arh?

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
11 minutes ago, Sarapo said:

I can't agree more that after Covid-19, I would avoid airplane traveling for a year or two. It is just way too contagious, not to mention many cases are asymptomatic. 

I drove from SG to Cherating beach in 2018. It's really easy to drive there with help of google map or waze. Convey, IMO, is not necessary as you lose the freedom of stopping and resting at your own pace. 

I like driving up on the east coast. Very peaceful and tranquil. I went to Kelantan too, which has a very different vibe (in a good way). Friendly people, nice food. Just need to avoid the monsoon season.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
5 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

haha. depends lah. if we drive up with Kenari with singapore plate, the robber won't even take a look at us one.

I like your positivity! Maybe can plan one. By marking the itinerary and activities first. No point doing a concrete date for now. You cannot guarantee anything for now.

hard to say. They may want Kenari spare parts.

• Haha! 4

Hypersonic
21 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

go there get poisoned by rare earth processing plant....that's a must do there

🤣

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
4 minutes ago, Enye said:

go there get poisoned by rare earth processing plant....that's a must do there

🤣

What is rare earth processing plant? hahahhaha. Sound dangerous leh. 😅

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged

What's there to enjoy in life if you worry so much about everything - getting robbed while in Malaysia. If you time is up, it's up. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 2