SG PHV Drivers earns $400 on first day of Phase 2

RickyWee

https://mothership.sg/2020/06/phase-2-grab-passenger-surge/image.png.7deabeb86af8dc789021192b9789fba7.png

Phase 2 officially began on June 19, 2020, and private hire drivers are back in business as Singaporeans head out again after more than two months of circuit breaker measures that kicked in on April 7 to curb the spread of Covid-19.

Surge in demand for PHV drivers

As a result, private hire vehicle (PHV) drivers have also seen a surge in business since the start of Phase 2.

Some Grab drivers shared their excitement in the ‎PHV Gojek/Grab ( Drivers & Riders SG ) Facebook group after seeing surge pricing for the first time in months, due to the spike in demand for drivers.

With more passengers, some drivers also shared that it had been a while since they've gotten an alert from the app to take a break.

Another driver shared that it had been the first time in a long while since they've seen a "red" zone on the heat map, indicating a higher concentration of passengers looking for a ride.

More earnings

PHV drivers shared that they have been earning significantly more in the last couple of days with more people heading out.

image.thumb.png.24533832395dc7a32bed3b30e71c5ca7.pngimage.thumb.png.238cbaeb757cbc649d6d5f45bd0765ba.pngimage.thumb.png.b093e9f53a20f483394a3bba2a608311.png

🤑🤑🤑

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Twincharged
(edited)

Okay I am a grab driver.. This is just one off.. Coz don't forget that its the 1st weekend of phase 2. So what will most people do? High chance is go chiong out and meet friends, go out eat, drink, bring kids to meet family members coz now increased to 5 person. So all these contribute to higher demand.. Plus these drivers for very long time had been waiting for calls for quite long during phase 1 and also circuit breaker. So when the 1st 3 days of phase 2 come and demand pick up. What will they do? A lot of them end up drive maybe like 16 to 20 hours for the Friday, sat and Sunday. So do the math, yes the demand picked up but is not as rosy as before the circuit breaker, plus this coming weekend demand will be slightly less then the 1st 3 days of circuit breaker.. Coz the eagerness of people to meet up friend after so long never go out meet is not there already. Plus grabhitch is back.

So this figure of 400plus close to 500 will not be possible already. Btw this is before 20% commission. I think if these drivers continue to drive 16 to 20 hours on this coming Friday, Sat and Sun, they might get 300 close to 400 or slightly more then 400. However, this is not substanable.. The more probably figure should be around 250 to slightly more then  300plus with 12 hours driving on Friday, Sat and Sunday. 10 hours should be around 200 to close to 300 range.. All is before 20% commission. This is still way off before the circuit breaker.. 

Weekday I think demand for morning peak and afternoon would still be the same.. Very slow.  Except night time.. Maybe slightly better.. It is still the same.. Will not hit 400plus close to 500 even if drive 18 to 20 hours.. For weekdays. 12 hours driving should be around 250+-.. If unlucky might be 200plus only. All is before 20% commission.. 

Edited by Yewheng
  • Praise 9

Come, I clap for you.

Where's fatty Kim? Ask him to come clap clap.

But I recall seeing in the news during weekday office hour calls for cab/phv are very few, especially going to CBD area cos ppl are still WFH.

How long will this last? It's anyone's guess. It has been so far one weekend.

• Praise 1

Twincharged
(edited)
18 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Come, I clap for you.

Where's fatty Kim? Ask him to come clap clap.

But I recall seeing in the news during weekday office hour calls for cab/phv are very few, especially going to CBD area cos ppl are still WFH.

How long will this last? It's anyone's guess. It has been so far one weekend.

Yup, coz it's the 1st 3 days on phase 2.. On weekend.. So demand definitely pickup a lot.. But that is like false hope.. Coz when come this coming weekend when the egarness of people to go out meet die off.. They will be facing the reality that OMG.. Cannot hit 450 or close to 500 with 18 hours drive lao. 

Plus grabhitch is back too.. So definitely the demand for this coming weekend for phv will be quite a bit lesser as compared to 1st 3 days of phase 2 already. 

Edited by Yewheng
  • Praise 3

Turbocharged

this article may sabo the PHV drivers

wait the govt withdraws the 3k per quarter supplement scheme to them

• Praise 1

53 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

Okay I am a grab driver.. This is just one off.. Coz don't forget that its the 1st weekend of phase 2. So what will most people do? High chance is go chiong out and meet friends, go out eat, drink, bring kids to meet family members coz now increased to 5 person. So all these contribute to higher demand.. Plus these drivers for very long time had been waiting for calls for quite long during phase 1 and also circuit breaker. So when the 1st 3 days of phase 2 come and demand pick up. What will they do? A lot of them end up drive maybe like 16 to 20 hours for the Friday, sat and Sunday. So do the math, yes the demand picked up but is not as rosy as before the circuit breaker, plus this coming weekend demand will be slightly less then the 1st 3 days of circuit breaker.. Coz the eagerness of people to meet up friend after so long never go out meet is not there already. Plus grabhitch is back.

So this figure of 400plus close to 500 will not be possible already. Btw this is before 20% commission. I think if these drivers continue to drive 16 to 20 hours on this coming Friday, Sat and Sun, they might get 300 close to 400 or slightly more then 400. However, this is not substanable.. The more probably figure should be around 250 to slightly more then  300plus with 12 hours driving on Friday, Sat and Sunday. 10 hours should be around 200 to close to 300 range.. All is before 20% commission. This is still way off before the circuit breaker.. 

Weekday I think demand for morning peak and afternoon would still be the same.. Very slow.  Except night time.. Maybe slightly better.. It is still the same.. Will not hit 400plus close to 500 even if drive 18 to 20 hours.. For weekdays. 12 hours driving should be around 250+-.. If unlucky might be 200plus only. All is before 20% commission.. 

So did you drive on that weekend?

Lets see how this coming weekend will go..

Twincharged
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Scion said:

this article may sabo the PHV drivers

wait the govt withdraws the 3k per quarter supplement scheme to them

Actually during the 1st 3 days of phase 2.. Some drivers might had taken advantage of this sudden spike in demand due to too many people egar to go out meet friends, go out eat and meet gf, families and etc where they cannot do so for the past 2 months. However some driver might missed this opportunity due to maybe they had families or also took these 1st 3 days of phase 2 to meet up friends and etc too. So not all drivers benefited from this sudden spike. Expect this coming weekend demand will not be as good as 1st 3 days of phase 2.

Edited by Yewheng
  • Praise 1

Twincharged
(edited)
6 minutes ago, UncleAtas said:

So did you drive on that weekend?

Lets see how this coming weekend will go..

Ya I drive on that weekend.. Yes the figure should be around there if I drive 16 to 18 hours.. But I never.. I drove 12 hours and get 350 plus minus (before deduct commission) for that Friday, sat and Sunday. 

Edited by Yewheng

i think also will have more permanent demand, in terms of people now not wanting to take public transport.  If i have to go back to work, i may also take PHV more. 

BUT  there is no barrier to entry for this trade, so if people start hearing jin ho tan, they will cheong the industry until oversupply and the whole thing collapse in its own weight. 

Twincharged
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Chongster said:

i think also will have more permanent demand, in terms of people now not wanting to take public transport.  If i have to go back to work, i may also take PHV more. 

BUT  there is no barrier to entry for this trade, so if people start hearing jin ho tan, they will cheong the industry until oversupply and the whole thing collapse in its own weight. 

By my observations.. I think phv drivers is way lesser as compared to pre circuit breaker.. So even though demand had picked up on 1st 3 days of circuit breaker, but not till the pre circuit breaker... I seems to be getting calls that is way further then pre circuit breaker and yet the fare is no surge. So this explain 1 thing.. A lot of drivers had returned cars.. So way less phv cars on the road as compared to before circuit breaker. That being said.. Demand definitely is not near the pre circuit breaker period... Coz don't forget.. Now we do not have any tourist.. Before circuit breaker especially before Feb this year we still have tourist coming to Singapore hor.. Tourist also take up quite a bit of % in terms of phv and taxi ride hor..

Edited by Yewheng
  • Praise 2

Human nature.

After CB everyone must go our. Go here, go there.

After a few weeks, things will go back to normal.

Don't go out so much again.

:grin:

Just like Macs open.

See social media everybody go Macs

All the sheep also must go.

Now no more queue ask them go lah,

Don't want.

Monkey see , monkey do.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
(edited)

Let's say on average, earnings is $250 over a 12 hr period (weekdays and weekends combined).

Minus 20% commission ($50), petrol $50, rental $50, you still get a decent $100 daily , or $3,000 a month driving 30 days a month.

Edited by Vinceng
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Chongster said:

true...

i also having second thoughts about changing cars although mine is expiring

see what the company says about WFH policy first

if this is a new normal, then no need drive that frequently liao

Turbocharged

For the $452 top earner, he still gets $240 nett for 18 hours work ($13/hour)  after deducting 20% commission, $70 petrol and $50 rental.

↡ Advertisement