Malaysia Touch 'N Go Card post-COVID-19

Kangadrool

1 hour ago, Kopites said:

A colleague just topped up RM 100 for me at one of the JB shell. It worked, even though the card has not been used for more than 5 years at least. The receipt show previous balance with the newly topped up values. 

No worry then, right? 🤔

Beware, can top up doesn't mean can use. I read about this before on TnG website.

↡ Advertisement
  • Shocked 1

2 hours ago, Kopites said:

A colleague just topped up RM 100 for me at one of the JB shell. It worked, even though the card has not been used for more than 5 years at least. The receipt show previous balance with the newly topped up values. 

No worry then, right? 🤔

Shouldn't hav problems alr if able to topup.

Edited by zipping

6 minutes ago, Beehive3783 said:

Beware, can top up doesn't mean can use. I read about this before on TnG website.

If wan 2b safe, register e card into TnG app

No worry then, right? 🤔

6 minutes ago, Beehive3783 said:

Source of truth is adding card to TnG app. If can add, then no problem.

I've posted earlier that I managed to top-up a card which is invalid and unable to add into the TnG app. End up I have to go through the hassle to get refund out of that invalid card.

1 hour ago, N00b said:

interesting. did you add the card into the tng app last time?

The card has an issue date 09/18. So I presume wifey bought it in early 2000 and used it for a couple of times and dumped it inside the drawer. Our subsequent trips for 5/6/7 years we have been using borrowed TNG card. 

I did tried to link the card with my TNG app but failed. It gave an error message "card has been linked". Asked wifey for password  and got scolded.  Back then where got app or wallet? 😬

So asked a Malaysian colleague to top up rm100 recently at JB shell.  It worked. Receipt show previous balance and the newly top up RM100. 

Edited by Kopites

Just now, Kopites said:

The card has an issue date 09/18. So I presume wifey bought it in early 2000 and used it for a couple of times and dump it inside the drawer. Our subsequent trips for 5/6/7 years we have been using borrowed TNG card. 

I did tried to link the card with my TNG app but failed. It gave an error message "card has been linked". Asked wifey for password  and got scolded.  Back then where got app or wallet? 😬

So asked a Malaysian colleague to top up rm100 recently at JB shell.  It worked. Receipt show previous balance and the newly top up RM100. 

Standby RM30 to pay cars behind.

4 minutes ago, Kopites said:

The card has an issue date 09/18. So I presume wifey bought it in early 2000 and used it for a couple of times and dumped it inside the drawer. Our subsequent trips for 5/6/7 years we have been using borrowed TNG card. 

Did you type wrongly or I read wrongly?

issue date 09/18 = Sep 2018?

How did your wife buy it in the early 2000s?

If 2018, 5/6/7 years will be 2023/2024/2025 :D 

You use TnG to travel back and forth between time? :D 

Should be 2018 ? Not right also.🤔

Anyway I remembered using borrowed cards for many of our Malaysia trips. 

20221116_114010.jpg

Edited by Kopites

24 minutes ago, badlammy said:

Source of truth is adding card to TnG app. If can add, then no problem.

I've posted earlier that I managed to top-up a card which is invalid and unable to add into the TnG app. End up I have to go through the hassle to get refund out of that invalid card.

My colleague reloaded at shell. U done the reload online?

Actually is true. Can top up does not mean can use.

Best is to standby another card.

My experience to share...

I have a TNG card (Expire Date: 20/05/2028) last used on March 2020 just before Malaysia MCO.

Managed to add this card to TNG App and top up in one of the 7-11 store in May this year after Malaysia borders opened. 

Tried using the card on 29/05 at the Woodlands Checkpoint and no issues at all. Both readers (Top and Bottom) at the counter can use.

Just when I thought the card still can be used, I proceeded to top up the card for future use before I come back SG.

To my surprise, all 5 different petrol kiosk I went to said my card is invalid hence cannot top up.

I was thinking how can it be since I just used it to enter malaysia hours ago but is true.

Fast forward to the most recent trip (2 weeks ago) when I tried to used the card, it still cannot be used.

Be it paying toll or carpark charges. It says invalid card.

One strange thing I realised is this TNG card can be used to deduct the RM$20.00 at the checkpoint but not the $2.37. Dunno why. 

• Praise 1

6 minutes ago, Kopites said:

My colleague reloaded at shell. U done the reload online?

I topped up at Petron. Since your app say card already linked, shd be fine.

7 minutes ago, Blackaccent said:

Actually is true. Can top up does not mean can use.

Best is to standby another card.

My experience to share...

I have a TNG card (Expire Date: 20/05/2028) last used on March 2020 just before Malaysia MCO.

Managed to add this card to TNG App and top up in one of the 7-11 store in May this year after Malaysia borders opened. 

Tried using the card on 29/05 at the Woodlands Checkpoint and no issues at all. Both readers (Top and Bottom) at the counter can use.

Just when I thought the card still can be used, I proceeded to top up the card for future use before I come back SG.

To my surprise, all 5 different petrol kiosk I went to said my card is invalid hence cannot top up.

I was thinking how can it be since I just used it to enter malaysia hours ago but is true.

Fast forward to the most recent trip (2 weeks ago) when I tried to used the card, it still cannot be used.

Be it paying toll or carpark charges. It says invalid card.

One strange thing I realised is this TNG card can be used to deduct the RM$20.00 at the checkpoint but not the $2.37. Dunno why. 

Your case really strange...

28 minutes ago, badlammy said:

I topped up at Petron. Since your app say card already linked, shd be fine.

Not sure though as wifey has not idea when was the card linked. 

Anyway seem like many "unknown" so likely to borrow another card as standby. 

Edited by Kopites

renting a car in langkawi. Dunno if need TNG card. But just bring my 2 cards which havent been used in several years. expiring next year and 2024.

Should be 2018 ? Not right also.🤔

Anyway I remembered using borrowed cards for many of our Malaysia trips. 

20221116_114010.jpg

Yes, the card mfg date is 2018. Card expiry is 10 years from mfg date.

That's why I see your post I blur.. early 2000s and 5/6/7 years didn't use :D 

31 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

renting a car in langkawi. Dunno if need TNG card. But just bring my 2 cards which havent been used in several years. expiring next year and 2024.

I don't think Langkawi have tolls la. But you can bring along if you want to test them out. Maybe use them to pay for other stuff.

• Praise 1