Using iPhone as Car Key

RickyWee

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a32936716/apple-iphone-car-key-bmw-revealed/

image.png.a210a402303d180ca5583b053768bf32.png

Apple announced digital key that opens and starts vehicles using the iPhone and Apple Watch.

The first vehicle that will support the system is the 2021 BMW 5-series.

The feature will roll out next month on iOS 13, and Apple is working with industry groups to bring the feature to more cars in 2021.

If you've ever decided that your car key is just too bulky, Apple has a solution. The company announced at its annual World Wide Developers Conference that its digital key solution is coming to iOS 13 and the upcoming iOS 14. The first automaker partner will be BMW, but Apple says it's working on a standard to make it work with more cars next year.

Opening a car with an app or even a piece of plastic isn't new, of course. For the BMW, setup will take place via the BMW app. The system will open car doors and start vehicles. Plus, on the BMW, an owner can share the key with five others via Apple's iMessage texting app with either full access or a restricted driving profile that lets you control top speed, horsepower, maximum radio volume, and other features—helpful for when you want to give a teen access to the car.

The digital key uses NFC technology. The driver can just tap the vehicle to unlock it and once in the vehicle, put the phone in the charging tray and start it. At least that's how it works on the BMW. The digital key will live in the iPhone’s Wallet app. Apple says it’s working to make it possible in the future to do all of this without taking your phone out of your pocket or bag. Sort of like how most keys currently work.

If you're concerned about your phone becoming worthless and stranding you if the iPhone's battery is depleted, BMW states that there is a power reserve feature where the phone will still function as a key for up to five hours after the phone turns off because of a low battery.

Apple touted the security around the digital key feature saying that keys can be disabled for other drivers from the phone and if your phone goes missing, access to the vehicle can be revoked via Apple’s cloud service, iCloud.

While automakers already have apps that can open car doors and start vehicles, what Apple wants to do is create a standard based on its secure hardware found in the iPhone and Apple Watch. That hardware ensures that the encryption keys that make the phone or watch talk to the car stay on the actual device. No one else, not even Apple, has access to that data.

Apple announced that it was already working with auto-industry groups to make the system work with more cars and is hoping to expand the feature to other vehicles next year. It's likely each automaker will want to implement its own options within Apple's digital key, but at today's event, the tech company was very excited about the ability to share keys over iMessage.

Fortunately for BMW 5-series owners, the feature will be available starting in July on iPhone that use iOS 13. So they don’t have to wait until this fall when iOS 14 is available to the general public.

Can't wait for this to happen. I think the best part is the 'key' will still function even if your iPhone battery is low.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

23 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Toyota already been there done that back in 2018.

They trying to reduce the need of downloading an app in order to use this 'key'

and maybe in the future any car brands can be used not only BMW

• Praise 1

10 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

Why complicate things?

i think it make things easier. More people will forgot bring car key than bring phone out

(edited)

For now a lot of cars are using proximity sensor. With the keyfob in the pocket or handbag all the driver has to do is grab the door handle to unlock and touch the sensor on the door handle to lock.

Still have to take out the phone from the pocket or bag, face recognition to unlock phone and put near the door handle to unlock car is a step back imo.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 5

22 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

Why complicate things?

I love it but Apple is getting into all facets of our life, it is scary.  Once you signed up to their ecosystem, it is hard to extricate yourself. They make it so hard to move your photos, notes, etc to another platform..

If Apple is owned by the Japs, I am sure it will be broken up by you know who. 

• Haha! 3

10 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

For now a lot of cars are using proximity sensor. With the keyfob in the pocket or handbag all the driver has to do is grab the door handle to unlock and touch the sensor on the door handle to lock.

Still have to take out the phone from the pocket or bag, face recognition to unlock phone and put near the door handle to unlock car is a step back imo.

You mean the technology cannot go into a phone? 

3 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

Exactly, me wifey car no proximity sensor and needs to unlock door manually via key fob while holding an umbrella in the rain.

Sibei mafan!!!!!!!! 

😂

13 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

You mean the technology cannot go into a phone? 

For NFC to activate is like using your contactless credit card on your phone. You have to press the sleep button twice. If this iphone car key works the same way you have to take out your phone, press button then face recognition. 

For me right now I just have to walk up to my car and grab the door handle it will unlock. I dont even have to take out the remote keyfob to press a button. Much more convenient.

• Praise 5

2 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

For NFC to activate is like using your contactless credit card on your phone. You have to press the sleep button twice. If this iphone car key works the same way you have to take out your phone, press button then face recognition. 

For me right now I just have to walk up to my car and grab the door handle it will unlock. I dont even have to take out the remote keyfob to press a button. Much more convenient.

Understand but I am pretty sure if you want the that convenience in a phone, it can be done or you can "Hey Siri, unlock doors.". 😄

(edited)
11 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

Understand but I am pretty sure if you want the that convenience in a phone, it can be done or you can "Hey Siri, unlock doors.". 😄

IMO Apple should just do what they do best. Leave all this to car makers.

Other smart key product makers are already way ahead in many areas.

Like smart doorlocks from Kwikset. https://www.kwikset.com/smart-locks

I have a friend who has the Kevo model installed. It uses bluetooth from the smartphone as a proximity sensor.

Same. just need to go up to the door, touch door knob with one finger and it auto unlock. It will know you are inside or outside your house such that you will never lock yourself out. You can also give temp access to your parcel delivery guy thru email or message so he can use the bluetooth on his phone to open your door. If you have internet cam you can keep an eye on the delivery guy while he open your door and place your parcel inside of your home. Apple still havent come up with all this stuff yet.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 2

42 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

Nowadays, you can walk up to SafeEntry QR code and says "Hey Siri, Scan QR CODE"

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Hamburger said:

Exactly, me wifey car no proximity sensor and needs to unlock door manually via key fob. 

Sibei mafan!!!!!!!! 

Yup no proximity sensor. I won't buy the car. I upgraded the trim for the elantra specifically for this one feature. Ha

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1