Using iPhone as Car Key

RickyWee

1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

Nowadays, you can walk up to SafeEntry QR code and says "Hey Siri, Scan QR CODE"

Yup.

But these days i use Singpass app. Don't need to scan. Just tap and register.  

• Praise 2

10 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Yup no proximity sensor. I won't buy the car. I upgraded the trim for the elantra specifically for this one feature. Ha

11 hours ago, Watwheels said:

Like smart doorlocks from Kwikset. https://www.kwikset.com/smart-locks

I have a friend who has the Kevo model installed. It uses bluetooth from the smartphone as a proximity sensor.

Same. just need to go up to the door, touch door knob with one finger and it auto unlock. It will know you are inside or outside your house such that you will never lock yourself out. 

Aren't these features potentially dangerous? For example you think the door is locked but maybe the locking mechanism is spoilt.  How do you check it?

Like for me sometimes before I leave my car I will give the handle a tug just to make sure its really locked.  If you go near for this kind of lock and maybe touch the handle the door is unlocked.  So how do you check?

I think I wrote this question is another post but I can't remember where....

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
(edited)

I don't know what this world has become.

All these functions such as auto unlock/lock and auto start can be performed with the car key, and you don't need to further drain your car's battery with such features using the hand phone.

It's also ungreen to start the car prior & allow the engine to run. How difficult can it be to walk to your car and open the doors to allow the  hot air to escape before driving off?

Edited by Vinceng
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Can someone pickup your lost handphone in a shopping centre, saw the App and go to the car park to drive off your vehicle ? :slow:

Many ppls never auto-lock HP as they find it very troublesome every now and then have to key in the code to unlock HP.... :wut:

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

Can someone pickup your lost handphone in a shopping centre, saw the App and go to the car park to drive off your vehicle ? :slow:

Many ppls never auto-lock HP as they find it very troublesome every now and then have to key in the code to unlock HP.... :wut:

Going to learn hacking now!!!! 🤓

haha.

• Praise 1

I believe the virtual key work via Express Mode and does not need FaceID or TouchID to unlock, just like like Express Transit. One might say like that not secure? Same goes if you lose you physical car key also..

Even under battery flat mode(not entirely flat when iOS tells you to plugin), the NFC chip is able to last 5hours to unlock your car. If one is to last 5hours outside without phone usage at all, you are surely asking for it to be lock out from your car. Apple also uses the ultrawideband U1 chip so u can have it inside your bag or pocket without taking out to unlock the car.

I think car key works via Apple Watch as well.

• Praise 3

(edited)
19 hours ago, Philipkee said:

Aren't these features potentially dangerous? For example you think the door is locked but maybe the locking mechanism is spoilt.  How do you check it?

Like for me sometimes before I leave my car I will give the handle a tug just to make sure its really locked.  If you go near for this kind of lock and maybe touch the handle the door is unlocked.  So how do you check?

I think I wrote this question is another post but I can't remember where....

Err .. no if any of the door is ajar, it will beep once instead of two or won’t even beep .. depends on the car make and model.

on some model the signal light stay lit . 

Edited by Sdf4786k

(edited)
1 hour ago, kelaihoyin said:

I believe the virtual key work via Express Mode and does not need FaceID or TouchID to unlock, just like like Express Transit. One might say like that not secure? Same goes if you lose you physical car key also..

Even under battery flat mode(not entirely flat when iOS tells you to plugin), the NFC chip is able to last 5hours to unlock your car. If one is to last 5hours outside without phone usage at all, you are surely asking for it to be lock out from your car. Apple also uses the ultrawideband U1 chip so u can have it inside your bag or pocket without taking out to unlock the car.

I think car key works via Apple Watch as well.

Finally someone who knows the tech. 👍 

Anyway, BMW app can already lock and unlock the car, ventilate the car and access 3D view, all remotely. So the technology is already there, just adding an iOS platform and making Apple rich.

Edited by Voodooman
  • Praise 1

4 hours ago, Sdf4786k said:

Err .. no if any of the door is ajar, it will beep once instead of two or won’t even beep .. depends on the car make and model.

on some model the signal light stay lit . 

I meant as in you close the door but the door never locks.  Cos u hear the beep but u never see the lock actually shut.  Later u realise the beep or signal light is working but locking mechanism is not working actually....

• Praise 1

10 hours ago, Philipkee said:

I meant as in you close the door but the door never locks.  Cos u hear the beep but u never see the lock actually shut.  Later u realise the beep or signal light is working but locking mechanism is not working actually....

yup.. u can do a simple experiment..

go to any passenger side door and leave it open.

Arm the car. 

again depending on your make. Some will sound off the alarm. For mine it will beep Once instead of twice.

I once had a door that is shut but refuses to lock because the circuit/solder joint was lifted. So the alarm could not be arm and there is only a single beep and a listed signal light for 10 secs. (not blinking but stay lit)

Of course if you are not observant, you would miss it.

• Shocked 1

14 hours ago, Voodooman said:

Finally someone who knows the tech. 👍 

Anyway, BMW app can already lock and unlock the car, ventilate the car and access 3D view, all remotely. So the technology is already there, just adding an iOS platform and making Apple rich.

I think in the decade of 2000, there is already 2 way remote which is an aftermarket product.  It will alert remote holder when car kenna intruded.

In addition, it could also on engine and air cond.

24 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

yup.. u can do a simple experiment..

go to any passenger side door and leave it open.

Arm the car. 

again depending on your make. Some will sound off the alarm. For mine it will beep Once instead of twice.

I once had a door that is shut but refuses to lock because the circuit/solder joint was lifted. So the alarm could not be arm and there is only a single beep and a listed signal light for 10 secs. (not blinking but stay lit)

Of course if you are not observant, you would miss it.

I can lock my car despite passenger door is still open.  Once passenger door is shut, it will be locked as well.

If passenger door  is not properly shut, need to unlock all door to slam it again.  After that, then lock.

I off the signal blinker.  Use my ear to know whether is locked or not.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1