GE2020: Singapore General Election - 10 July 2020

Picnic06-Biante15

4 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Since this time GE Jo Teo is leading the Jalan Besar GRC and seems like a lot of people dont like her, quite a waste there is no better quality and well establish opp come to contest lo? Then maybe will have higher chance to win and also vote off Jo Teo? Even though past 3 election, even WP come contest also lose, it shows that Jalan Besar voters quite supportive for pap.

I think Lily Neo is popular with the elderly in Jln Besar. Probably same with Denise Phua since she's good with community work and even setup the Pathlight school. Yacoob is likely good with his Malay community. Dunno how good is Heng Chee How though. Kinda low profile. 

I think that's why Jln Besar used to be a tough fight. Now with Jo Teo and a new face I dunno what the voters will be rooting for.

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

On Chinese social media, Singapore elections amuse and confuse

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/politics/article/3091833/chinese-social-media-singapore-elections-amuse-and-confuse

During my 18 years living and working in mainland China, people who discovered I was Singaporean would usually respond with one of the following remarks:

• Singapore is efficient and corruption-free – usually said with a note of envy.

• Singapore is what it is today because of former leader Lee Kuan Yew.

• Singapore is run by the Lee family.

• Singapore is predominantly ethnic Chinese.

• Lee Kuan Yew was an admirable and amazing leader – a few would even go on to add, “if only China had an equivalent of Mr Lee”.

• China learned a great deal from Singapore during the country’s reform and opening-up process.

• Former Chinese leader Deng Xiaoping admired Singapore, especially the island’s pursuit of economic success while maintaining a tight grip on politics.

• Singapore is a one-party state and tolerates no dissent.

These observations are offered in various permutations but have largely withstood the test of time.  Understandably so, because these are the broad narratives about Singapore conveyed in Chinese media and books published there over the years.

Popular books about Singapore sold in China in recent years include Lee Kuan Yew: A Great Man from a Small Country and several versions of Lee biographies by Chinese authors.

At an academic level, the Centre for Singapore Studies has been established at Shenzhen University, Xiamen University, Guangxi University and Jiangxi’s Gannan Normal University.

Apart from conducting research into Singapore’s foreign affairs and efforts in tackling corruption and fighting terrorism and extremism, these institutes examine Singapore’s water policies, public administration, social and urban management, vocational training and the cultural identities of Singaporean Chinese.

Among netizens and ordinary Chinese, though, Singapore attracts less attention. The one exception came in 2017 when the feud between Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and his younger siblings over property owned by the late Singaporean prime minister was splashed across the headlines in China. Many Chinese regarded the dispute over a dead ancestor’s estate as “extremely Chinese” and therefore relatable.

Now, as Singapore campaigns ahead of its general election, Chinese interest has again stirred, particularly on the microblogging website Weibo.

One user expressed amazement that Singapore conducts elections, asking: “Isn’t there a saying that in predominantly Chinese societies it is not wise to engage in the backward practices of the West? Look, Taiwan elections are in a mess.”

Another asked whether the next Prime Minister of Singapore will be a “Lee”. Another user responded: “No, it will be a ‘Wang’” – referring to the Chinese rendering of Heng Swee Keat, the deputy prime minister and Lee’s designated successor. In turn, users piled on in surprise, demanding to know: “Why is it not a Lee?”

Last month, Lee Kuan Yew’s younger son, Lee Hsien Yang, threw his support behind the opposition, creating a stir on Chinese social media. One user insisted “his father would strike his younger son unconscious if he is still alive”.

Another asked why an election was needed given “the results and outcomes are always the same”.

Yet another noted: “Ordinary people have the vote, yet Singapore politics is not messy like in the West. Perfect!”

The general lack of understanding about what makes Singapore tick and the hard issues faced during an election campaign should not come as a surprise. After all, Singapore is a small country and ordinary Chinese are generally better informed about countries that more significantly impact their own, such as the US, Japan and India.

The fascination among Chinese with the Lee family is impossible to miss. Singapore’s official name in Chinese is “Xin Jia Po” but many Chinese refer to it instead as “Li Jia Po”, emphasising the Lee family’s importance. For example, they might ask: “Isn’t this Li Jia Po? Why is there the need to canvass votes?”

Online, Singapore becomes a subject for serious discussion only when it adopts a position at odds with China, such as support for US engagement in the region or endorsing international law in maritime disputes, potentially undermining Beijing’s territorial claims in the South China Sea.

These discussions usually centre on Singapore’s pro-US stance and the perceived attempt to use the US as a counterweight to China’s influence in the region. Such discussions are often critical, suggesting Singapore, as a predominantly ethnic Chinese country, should be careful of inching closer to the Western camp and instead remember which side its bread gets buttered. Sometimes there is even a warning – or a threat – of repercussions and punitive measures against Singapore for not siding with China.

Fundamentally, many in China regard Singapore as a Chinese nation that should therefore understand and support Beijing’s policies.

Whatever happens in Singapore’s upcoming elections, the country’s leaders will need to manage this ongoing balancing act, pursuing their own country’s national interests without jeopardising the goodwill with Beijing that accompanies a shared lineage.

Edited by inlinesix

Supersonic
7 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

No chance she will lose here.  The closest ever was 2011.  Ah Lui still win with 13k majority or 59% of the vote.

Looks like no matter which pap minister contest in Jalan Besar GRC, sure win de. I guess maybe there are many eldery in this GRC, and people always say eldery usually would support pap de?!

• Praise 1

12 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

Agreed. Jamus by far is one of WP strongest candidate. WP is probably hoping to win Sengkang.

Have anyone seen that that Khan person posted??? I am trying to find the post to judge.. 

Same . I want read for myself to see what exactly is written.

But like cannot find

Twincharged

WP Sylvia lim bring a very good point on many elderly struggle and yet government is full steam ahead of fully going digital.. 

Turbocharged

sigh.... classic case of 以其人之道, 还治其人之身

social media is powerful... everything you said online will come back to haunt you

internet never forgets....

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Supersonic
6 minutes ago, Mockngbrd said:

PAP know where to place their chess pieces.  Esp. the last Cai Shen Yeh piece. 

Indeed true, and pap really good in placing their chess pieces. Guess opp is not very good in this.

Hypersonic
10 minutes ago, 13177 said:

This is really the reality in sg. Now i think even CSJ also gone case liao due to the 10m population accuses?!

CSJ is different lah. 

His case he fighting not to grow the population, be it 6.9m, 10m or 100m makes no different. 

So what if he made a mistake of that 10m, the objective is in no increase of anymore population.  There is a big different in the 2 cases.

Mayb he misread the information, mayb he cannot find back out, but the fact is he did not lie, and they cannot call him a liar. He is also speaking on a bigger picture and no race card played. 

wont hurt him lah... [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 4

Twincharged
(edited)
3 minutes ago, Mockngbrd said:

https___bucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984_s3.amazonaws.com_public_images_4a37435b-bc13-4fc5-be5a-374e51b856bb_828x1593.jpg.370fb5878e3b30d46eb17dcbad1a04b9.jpg

106530214_4055234934549425_1577330619520619338_o.thumb.jpg.4a78af52c7632d2d3db422b4c6e16656.jpg

As we know politics is a totally different game play.. Last time she not in politics, she comment like this no one cares.. Now she joined politics, she should had deleted all these past Facebook post, although she is very Frank about her concerns. Being Frank vs politics.  Sometimes cannot be mixed. 

Edited by Yewheng
  • Praise 2

(edited)
3 minutes ago, Scion said:

social media is powerful... everything you said online will come back to haunt you

Ya, but she herself knows she post stupid shit online never come clean with WP during selection process? Or does she REALLY believe what she posted was right? Is like I will never run for PAP because I also know I post too much stupid shit online. Wait ppl bring up post I tok about bra/panties how?

Edited by Mockngbrd
  • Haha! 7

Turbocharged
3 minutes ago, Scion said:

But this is why the WP lapse in not doing as simple a background check as social media postings is quite crazy... i mean even employers do this for anyone facing the public 

• Praise 1

2 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Indeed true, and pap really good in placing their chess pieces. Guess opp is not very good in this.

Oppo bo bian. They cannot suka suka parachute here and there, they needed to walk the ground from early early. Give PAP advantage to know who going where liao. PAP can just ride on their brand name and win. 

• Praise 1

Supersonic
1 minute ago, Mockngbrd said:

Ya, but she herself knows she post stupid shit online never come clean with WP during selection process? Or does she REALLY believe what she posted was right? Is like I will never run for PAP because I also know I post too much stupid shit online. Wait ppl bring up post I tok about bra/panties how?

That's why Trump is a superhero. Can talk and post until simi sai, people still sarpork. 

We are not superheroes like Trump. Neither is this Khan girl.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

1 minute ago, Turboflat4 said:

That's why Trump is a superhero. Can talk and post until simi sai, people still sarpork. 

We are not superheroes like Trump. Neither is this Khan girl.

GG lo, try again in 5 years. 

4 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

WP Sylvia lim bring a very good point on many elderly struggle and yet government is full steam ahead of fully going digital.. 

That's where the grassroot leaders/volunteers and MPs help out the elderly to get connected. If dont go digital the elderly will have to physically travel and queue up at govt org or whatever to get something done which is even more of a struggle.

That's how they help the elderly and score points with them at the same time.

Twincharged
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

That's where the grassroot leaders/volunteers and MPs help out the elderly to get connected. If dont go digital the elderly will have to physically travel and queue up at govt org or whatever to get something done which is even more of a struggle.

That's how they help the elderly and score points with them at the same time.

It's not easy man.. Like my mother.. Finally she now know how to use WhatsApp recently.. And it was a real struggle for her.. I had to go through days of teaching and constantly practing with her.. Though sending and receiving WhatsApp message until she get the hang of it. The struggle is real.. Now the singpass and the qr code to scan is another headache.. 

Oh ya.. What about those age 80plus, 90plus.. Still want then to go fully digital when they already like struggling with a lot of things and these people will still have energy and memory to learn digital? 

Edited by Yewheng
↡ Advertisement