GE2020: Singapore General Election - 10 July 2020

Maxus-MIFA9

Supersonic
9 minutes ago, Daniu82 said:

Everytime Aljunied put these type of low grade candidates, this shows how much they wan it back. If I am a resident there, I won’t vote for them. Might as well vote WP and have MIW as grassroots. 

Cannot blame them, after the GE2011 and losing their high grade ministers, they would remember and have learn from their mistake. They would not risk to lose another few high grade minister if aljunied lose again.

Better to send low grade candidates first, if can win back aljunied, maybe they will send better grade candidates in subsequent GE?! Cause it seems like once pap take back from opp, it is quite difficult for opp to win them back again. You can see that happened in Potong Pasir SMC.

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged
(edited)
45 minutes ago, Kopites said:

"Another way is to channel a fraction of land sales receipts (which currently go toward reserves) toward meeting recurrent expenditures like health and education. The common govt argument that land represents assets ignores the fact that human capital is an asset, too.‬"

mmm... Does anyone understand Jamus argument here?

I don't agree with him at all here. The government argument about land sales is always that we only have a finite amount of land and if we use land sales to fund recurrent expenditures, it is just not sustainable as one day we will run out of land.

Unless, he is assuming that the people we develop will help us to generate more income for the government in the future, which to put it bluntly, taxing the future generations more. 

I am not economics trained... so maybe I understand wrongly.

I agree that GST favours the capital (I assume the rich) because it is a regressive tax but putting land sales receipt into the reserves does not favour capital or labour, I feel. 

Edited by Wind30
  • Praise 1

Supersonic
4 minutes ago, Albeniz said:

Talking about WP being a "PAP-lite":

We had over-dosage of PAP-gao for many years, and are starting to experience some negative effects.

What we need is PAP-siew-dai as some caffeine would still be needed to get the day going.

So WP, being a "PAP-lite", is a viable option. 

Remember to choose "Siew-dai", for a Healthier Nation.

Although there are quite many supporters for WP but still not enough to make then become ''PAP-lite''. Lol.

Supercharged
37 minutes ago, Daniu82 said:

If he is the PM, I might just change my mind to vote for MIW. 

Me too....i will vote for him anytime, anywhere! ohhhh….btw, i am Chinese!

the only person that I love listening during budget speech since 12 years ago...those were the days i will listen attentively when he give the budget talk......i will stick to the end!

Now, i don't even bother to listen to you know who talking about budget...honestly, i can't even get thru the 1st 5 mins, i will lose attention already! and i don't understand a word what the current budget presenter is talking about...it bores me. and made worse as accounting, budgeting and finance is a dry topic!!!

I believe if Mr T is PM, Singapore will be able to reach greater heights! Majulah Singapure!!

• Praise 6

Twincharged
2 minutes ago, Spidey10 said:

Me too....i will vote for him anytime, anywhere! ohhhh….btw, i am Chinese!

the only person that I love listening during budget speech since 12 years ago...those were the days i will listen attentively when he give the budget talk......i will stick to the end!

Now, i don't even bother to listen to you know who talking about budget...honestly, i can't even get thru the 1st 5 mins, i will lose attention already! and i don't understand a word what the current budget presenter is talking about...it bores me. and made worse as accounting, budgeting and finance is a dry topic!!!

I believe if Mr T is PM, Singapore will be able to reach greater heights! Majulah Singapure!!

The most recent is the pap dialogue when tharman was talking about how to build inclusiveness and also to narrow down the gap between the elderly and the younger generation in technology. His thinking is really very sharp.. So sharp that if others want to debate with him, they sure lose.. 

• Praise 2

Twincharged
(edited)
17 minutes ago, Albeniz said:

Talking about WP being a "PAP-lite":

We had over-dosage of PAP-gao for many years, and are starting to experience some negative effects.

What we need is PAP-siew-dai as some caffeine would still be needed to get the day going.

So WP, being a "PAP-lite", is a viable option. 

Remember to choose "Siew-dai", for a Healthier Nation.

we in fact wanted a good system but ended up with Premium Added Payment. and lite pockets. The saying of you get what you Pay for is indeed flawed.

Well, I suppose just like buying on line is cheaper, I too am keen to find out what are the cost implications.

Edited by Sdf4786k
  • Praise 1

Twincharged
24 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Bhutan got wifi? :a-SOS:

I need to continue use MCF one leh. hahahha

I also thot ulu sembawang was ulu in nature but also got cell phone and wifi..

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Daniu82 said:

Maybe it’s the same as wear green cannot think, maybe wear white also cannot think too. I won’t know cos I don’t wear white, only wear green before.

some say if you wear green long enough it will evolve into white

• Haha! 1

Twincharged
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Blueray said:

no blank cheque

no 9% GST

no CECA

[:)]

Say is easy, later when get voted in and want to implement, find is super challenging or almost impossible how? 

Like the ceca.. Like ccs already said. What about India relationship? Then how sia? So going to find who is very good at businessman talking to talk to India and convince India to allow Singapore to reduce the ceca 1st? Totally remove ceca seems impossible at all unless we don't care our relationship with India anymore. This is one example.. 

Edited by Yewheng

Twincharged

I feel the new candidate are really taking baby steps 

Instead, I was hoping that they help groom many jobless to become another Jack Ma.

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Jack-Ma

Ma became interested in the English language as a young boy, and during his teens he worked as a guide for foreign tourists to Hangzhou. Ma failed the entrance exam for the Hangzhou Teachers College twice. (His weak point was mathematics.) He was admitted on the third try, in 1984, and he graduated with a bachelor’s degree in English in 1988. From 1988 to 1993 he taught English at the Hangzhou Institute of Electronics and Engineering (now Hangzhou Dianzi University). In 1994, he founded his first company, the Haibo Translation Agency, which provided English translation and interpretation.

On a trip to the United States on behalf of the Hangzhou city government in 1995, Ma had his first encounter with the Internet and saw the lack of Chinese Web sites as a great business opportunity. On his return, he founded China Pages, which created Web sites for Chinese businesses and was one of China’s first Internet companies. He left the company two years later, however, partly because of strong competition from the communications company Hangzhou Telecom, which had founded a rival company, Chinesepage. From 1998 to 1999 Ma was head of an Internet company in Beijing that was backed by the Ministry of Foreign Trade and Economic Cooperation. He felt, however, that if he remained with the government, he would miss out on the economic opportunities that the Internet was bringing. Ma persuaded his team at the ministry to go back to Hangzhou with him and found the Alibaba Group, which launched a Web site that facilitated deals between small businesses. Ma was convinced that the small-business-to-small-business Internet market had much greater potential for growth than the business-to-consumer Internet market had. Small businesses paid a membership fee to be certified as trustworthy sellers on Alibaba, with a greater fee being charged to businesses that wished to sell to customers outside China. Growth was rapid; in 2005 Alibaba attracted the attention of the American Internet portal Yahoo!, which bought a 40 percent stake, and in 2007 Alibaba.com raised $1.7 billion dollars in its initial public offering (IPO) in Hong Kong.

• Praise 3

22 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

Thanks for posting this brilliant article by Jamus. Move over, Tharman...

IMHO.
I had often asked myself what is the whole point of serving the public and if the length of service matters.   Today, it seems, again,  that  it is not important.

On the internet,  Tharman was born in 1957,  started in MAS, join the  Singapore Administrative Service and returned to MAS.  He took part in GE in 2001 which made him to be about 44. 

2 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

Say is easy, later when get voted in and want to implement, find is super challenging or almost impossible how? 

Like the ceca.. Like ccs already said. What about India relationship? Then how sia? So going to find who is very good at businessman talking to talk to India and convince India to allow Singapore to reduce the ceca 1st? Totally remove ceca seems impossible at all unless we don't care our relationship with India anymore. This is one example.. 

Wait for them kenna bom by China first? 

• Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Daniu82 said:

Maybe it’s the same as wear green cannot think, maybe wear white also cannot think too. I won’t know cos I don’t wear white, only wear green before.

Wear green cannot think, wear white DARE NOT think. They aren't stupid. 

• Haha! 6

17 hours ago, Alg said:

I received it and opened to check whether any vouchers or redemption for New Moon bird nest or not...... opened liao see all words throw straight to the bin.[:p]

Maybe higher chance in getting one is to collect the saliva of those who talk bird language in the house and make bird nest soup out of it

1 minute ago, Yewheng said:

why worry for CCS, its his problem to solve. 

if he cannot solve it, then voters will find someone else who can solve it. 

have we really benefited from CECA, if not, then just rip it up. you scared India invade us ah ? grow some balls lah. [laugh]

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 4

Twincharged
Just now, Mockngbrd said:

Wait for them kenna bom by China first? 

Don't know... But then somehow we are like dead end.. At same time we don't want to spoil our relationship with other countries, at the other end, there are many Singaporeans keep complaining. Like that how? So need someone who has better IQ and eq to outwin other countries politicians and yet able to come out with win win solutions would be the best. 

↡ Advertisement