GE2020: Singapore General Election - 10 July 2020

Picnic06-Biante15

Supercharged

Afterall, we fellow mcf forrumers here r sensible enough and r well articuled and have definately almost made up our minds.

Together we can make singapore a better place after 10th july 2020.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

(edited)
9 minutes ago, Spurman said:

Anyway beware of heartlandeeee might come in here soon to do his job. Smear campaign thingy. May get us caught in if members here reaxt after 2359.

That heartlander was the lowest n cheapest tier of paid IBs..

Really shameless in provoking n stirring shit among us here..

Quality same as those Uptron standard..

Anyway, think he’s now weighing his durians n calculating his ROI ...

Edited by Freeder
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 5

Hypersonic
(edited)

Last post before midnight.

Over the last few weeks, I have seen much of the election discussion revolve around issues of policy. Party manifestos have been pored over and critiqued, and rightfully so. As voters, we must hold parties accountable to their policies, and we must vote for policies that benefit Singapore and her people.

I have also seen, frighteningly, ghosts of the past. I see them in unfounded police reports made against Raeesah Khan, an activist who has worked tirelessly advocating for necessary change, accused of inciting disharmony simply for pointing out that such disharmony existed in the first place. I see them in POFMAs against Paul Tambyah and online publications, attempts to distract and distort, and to silence those who dare speak up and speak out. I see the terrifying tendrils of the PAP political machine, ensnaring and destroying, undermining any and all opposition thought. 

I was born into a political family - an opposition family - and so never had the privilege of being detached from politics. My grandfather, JB Jeyaretnam, fought his whole life for a just and equitable Singapore for all, only to be attacked with defamation lawsuits and sued into bankruptcy. I grew up learning about the plights of many others - Chia Thye Poh, Vincent Cheng, Tang Liang Hong, Chee Soon Juan - who were detained without trial, jailed, exiled, or bankrupted. I heard stories of my father, a new graduate with a double first from Cambridge, struggling to get a job and being told outright that he could not be hired because of his last name. I listened as my mother recounted tense conversations with friends telling her to stay away from the Jeyaretnam name. I watched as fear took hold of Singaporeans, just as the PAP had planned. 

And so today, I find it difficult to separate policy from fear. How can I in good conscience vote for a party that has utilised fear and oppression to keep citizens in check and themselves in power? How can I stand aside and watch as the same underhanded tactics that have been used since our independence continue to stifle and gag? 

Many argue that we put up with this behaviour for the sake of parliamentary efficiency. We do not get caught up in the stalemates that have plagued governments in the West. Where else in the world does parliament get so much done? (Ignore the fact that what gets done are bills like POFMA.) To quote my grandfather, “are we proud that parliament can pass five bills all in one afternoon sitting? The efficacy of this house, the usefulness of this house is to be measured in how it serves the people’s interests.” We cannot boast of efficiency in and of itself if it does not benefit our people - everyone, and not just a privileged few. Are you proud that your MP hardly questions the party line?

Others are fraught with fear, fear of meeting the same demise that my grandfather faced. Yet others are filled with hope. In the past week, I have spoken with many Singaporeans, reaching out on social media, who have told me stories of their interactions with JBJ. They admire his perseverance, his drive, and continue to be inspired by his vision for Singapore. They have shared personal stories of being forgotten and cast aside, our fellow Singaporeans left to fend for themselves by the PAP. They inspire me. 

I urge you, as voters, to look beyond only policy. Think hard about the systems and principles you are supporting when you cast your vote. A vote for the PAP is a clear signal, a ringing endorsement of the fear tactics that have plagued our nation for so many years. Until such a day when the scales are balanced and our democracy just, I will not vote for the PAP. 

For you, grandpa, I will vote opposition.

C3D37F81-4E98-4078-AEE6-AF5928AF1329.jpeg

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 9
  • Shocked 1

14 minutes ago, Freeder said:

You vote his masters out and his gang will all be jobless, aka using 1 stone to kill 2 birds (sorry bird lovers, I didn't mean it literally). 

• Haha! 3

Hypersonic
1 hour ago, Windwaver said:

Can never be sure, some got a load of stuffing.

I have a friend damn handsome and popular with girls. Got once he kena conned by push up bra plus padding :grin:

He told me no choice but quickly finish business and F off.

giphy.gif

WONDER BRA.

Make a guy really WONDER after the BRA is taken off.

• Haha! 1

Supersonic
(edited)
1 hour ago, Yewheng said:

Screenshot_20200708_223908_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.88dfb174def99203dbe44c28b4e75128.jpg

So tomorrow will have final party political broadcast, he said it will be the most important messages.. Look like he is saving all his energy on tomorrow most important political broadcast.. . Do tune in and watch that final broadcast.. 

What an inspiring man! 

And to pretty much every other opposition candidate out there, you that walk in the shadow of CST and LTK and even the late great JBJ and David Marshall, let me quote poet Laurence Overmire and say:

"You carry the hopes and dreams of all those who have gone before."

All the best from all of us.

Goodnight.

(It's 23:47, I'm going to cool off). 😁

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 6

Turbocharged
(edited)

My final thots for this GE

We are told grc is necessary coz it would be bad if minorities cannot get into parliament. Aside from being patronizing and never actually proven that Sg is racist when selecting candidates the solution of grc stops opposition from getting enough candidates into parliament. 30-40% of votes but 5-10% of seats such that even PAP acknowledge this is unhealthy (not to mention we know about all the weak and lackluster candidates pap smuggle in to the point u never heard of them even when they running 2nd or 3rd time)

Pap tell us dont worry opposition can sure get in with NCMP scheme.

My thots: i agree minorities need representation...but why not we use minority ncmp scheme just like the opposition one? Highest performing minority candidates of any party go in on ncmp if they lack certain number of seats in parliament

Then we can finally discard this nonsense that rob 30% of ppl of their voice in parliament allegedly becoz minorities must have seats. We could even make room for eurasian this way

Edited by yishunite
  • Praise 5

Thank you all, pro pap and pro oppies. 

For the undecided, pap will win this election,  give your vote to opposition,  they need your encouragement 

This is for you, it been fun 🤪🤪🤪420full-bella-thai.jpg.303170085b1df438f7e40afcdff16e7c.jpg

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 9

Supersonic
13 minutes ago, Staff69 said:

420full-bella-thai.jpg.303170085b1df438f7e40afcdff16e7c.jpg

Have to say this (totally non-political) but the cutie in your photo is like many public speakers. 

Covering the important points but still leaving a lot to be desired. 😂😂😂

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 7

2 hours ago, Freeder said:

Siang ka pager? Now munching on msw.

Not quite as shameless as those who twisted the pictures and videos to suit their narratives lah. Really fun to see people shooting own goals. I merely try to point out the obvious, did not even bother to try to shoot at all. 

Anyway, good night sweet dream.