GE2020: Singapore General Election - 10 July 2020

Picnic06-Biante15

22 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

Haha...as a witness only.

Anyone here do before?

Was polling agent and counting agent before.

Wont go into duties on the day itself.

After you fill in the form and they call you, you get to choose from a list of timings to go to the Hq.

You will be briefed on the duties and such.  Most importantly is you will need to sign the OSA form which will be witnessed by officials.  This is important cos they dont want people doing funny things at the polling centre or counting centre.

After that you will be briefed on your duty that day.  This is different from the previous briefing cos previous briefing would be like what you must do as a polling agent.  But only after you sign the form do they tell you where to go, who to report to and so on.

Some places would combine both together cos usually the assumption is that if you want to turn up in the Hq, you will go through with it.

Polling agent for WP in 2011

Counting agent for TJS 2011

Counting agent for SDP 2015

Different experiences each time.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Twincharged

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/opinion/2013/02/25/commentary/world-commentary/ponzi-demography-as-singaporeans-fear-overpopulation-bubble-burst/#.XwR52Cj7RaR

'Ponzi demography' as Singaporeans fear overpopulation bubble, burst

BY WILLIAM PESEK
BLOOMBERG

Singaporeans are raring to do something extraordinary: protest.

That might not seem like a big deal with the Arab Spring uprisings; Chinese journalists taking to the streets; and thousands of typically docile Japanese rallying against government policies. But tropical Singapore is the land of quiet brooding, where mass street demonstrations are as common as snowstorms.

What has people so riled up? Well, people.

The impetus for the Feb. 16 march was a report that the tiny island’s population may rise by as much as 30 percent to 6.9 million by 2030. This seems to be the government’s answer to the question of how to sustain prosperity in one of the most crowded and expensive cities in the world.

The signs of overcrowding and urban stress are palpable to any visitor. Prices are surging, public services in a nation famed for nanny-state tendencies are slipping and some of the finest infrastructure anywhere is buckling under the strain. Locals blame the influx of immigrants, which Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong’s ruling party touts as one key to Singapore’s success in the years to come.

The city-state, with about half the area of New York City, has 3.3 million citizens and 2 million foreign residents, many of whom have contributed greatly to Singapore’s growth in finance and construction. Yet complaints that overseas workers deprive locals of jobs and drive up housing prices fill the air. Singapore is the third-most-expensive Asian city and ranks as the sixth most-costly in the world, according to an Economist Intelligence Unit ranking of 131 cities.

Singapore may well serve as a case study for what happens when leaders try to offset slowing economic growth with immigration and increased birthrates. There are lessons that Japan or Italy would do well to study. All of it is turning into a political liability for Lee, the son of Lee Kuan Yew, who is regarded as the father of modern Singapore.

The erosion in his party’s popularity is accelerating after the release Jan. 29 of a white paper that contained the 6.9 million figure, which it calls a projection, not a goal. Lee Hsien Loong has since said the number of people will be “significantly” lower than the report suggests. Will Singaporeans buy that?

“The new population policy is anti-Singaporean and it threatens our existence and livelihoods,” says Gilbert Goh, 51, an advocate for unemployed citizens and an organizer of the Feb. 16 protest.

Sadly, some of the rants one reads in the media and online veer toward xenophobia. If Singaporeans are so livid, they should stop supporting Lee’s party. After all, isn’t the government, by seeking to import more human capital, telling its own people that they lack the skills to compete? Anyone who doubts Singapore is serious only has to look at accelerating efforts to reclaim land from the sea for development, giving the city the room for population growth.

The real question, as public angst rises, is whether the opposition is justified. Former United Nations demographer Joseph Chamie says it is. To Chamie, the view that it’s almost always better to have more and more people is the human equivalent of what Bernard Madoff did with money, something he calls “Ponzi demography.”

The human-pyramid scheme works like this: Population growth, either through births or immigration, boosts demand for goods and services, increases borrowing, boosts tax revenue and adds to corporate profits. Everything seems grand and leaders take a bow.

It’s a bubble, though, and it eventually bursts when population growth stalls. Incomes top out, high debt crushes consumption and investment, the need for public assistance rises, environmental degradation increases and angry people take to the streets.

As households are left to pick up the tab once Ponzi demography runs its course, government leaders issue dire warnings about economic decline if the flow of fresh talent stops.

This will sound familiar to Singaporeans as Lee’s People’s Action Party sketches out a dystopian future without adding wealthy bankers and low-income workers to the nation’s ranks.

Singapore needs to find another way. The era of easy growth is over. Just as economies such as Japan and South Korea are seeing the limits of their export-led models, Singapore’s formula has run its course.

Raising the productivity of its current workforce would be more potent for a developed, open economy looking to compete in a region dominated by the cheap labor and manufacturing of China and India. Singapore should focus as much energy on incentives for its existing residents to innovate and start new businesses as on adding more bodies.

Not only is Singapore toying with liberalized immigration, it’s also revving up a campaign to persuade Singaporeans to wed younger and reproduce. It is an odd push for Lee. Four decades ago, concern about overpopulation prompted his father to urge a delay in nuptials and to have smaller families. Today, amid a birthrate of about 1.3 children per woman, efforts to encourage bigger families border on the offensive. Just check a new website, “Hey Baby.”

Singapore’s addiction to population growth sends a simple and disconcerting message: The country has run out of ideas to increase economic vitality, aside from encouraging people to procreate or immigrate. Ponzi demography, indeed.

• Praise 5

Hypersonic

Lucky the polling station I’m assigned to is below my block. 😆

Polling agent is just a witness right?

23 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

Depends. 

In theory you are to ensure there is no undue influence or fraud.  You are to raise any objections to the officer in charge and to contact the candidate or the party you represent if it is serious and the officer does not want to resolve it.

In practice.........

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, RadX said:

Can ask ur cousin to lend some stocks

put Blood as the mark!!

Biohazard lah deh, wait spread virus or diseases how?! 

61vHfsuuhDL._SL1500_.jpg

23 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

Exercise your eye power! Watch and make sure no miscounted, no one hiding or smuggling voting slips in and out of the centre... :D

• Praise 6
  • Haha! 2

2 hours ago, RadX said:

Can ask ur cousin to lend some stocks

put Blood as the mark!!

Dra will visit you later  ... he say one. Get ready your garlic garland ... I say one. 

• Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Kangadrool said:

Please do not use this as it is erasable. No fountain pen also. Suggest you bring a permanent marker.

No worry Bros. Merely joking.

My vote very precious. I won't "waste"it. 

5 years! Waited for this day to mark their performance.

• Praise 6
  • Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

Oh it’s available at their website. Just fill up the google form and they will email you.

You be careful.  Safety always come first.

Remember we are still in the mid of pendemic. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

Not ambassador meh?  Sleep early hor 😂

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

(edited)

Dear fellow bros

We be going to cast our votes tomorrow, again, not going to make much difference,  cos pap be going back in power and forming the government again.

For those who has decided whom to vote, I respect your decision.

For those undecided, please dont spoil your vote. Just ask yourself,  in any healthy relationship or team work. You need to have diverse views and opinions from different people. 

We need opposition to give constructive criticism and offer a different perspective.  Can you imagine avengers are form by iron man alone,                        

Give Singapore a team, not a 1man show8-years-of-the-avengers-how-joss-whedons-risk-became-crucial_5z9w.thumb.jpg.70c10d06f1261602bc00113b484ac7c8.jpg

Edited by Staff69
  • Praise 11

Supersonic
22 minutes ago, Count-Bracula said:

Not ambassador meh?  Sleep early hor 😂

Its a long day for polling agent tomorrow. Stay safe.

For voters also a long night tomorrow if you plan to stay up to witness the live telecast of the GE vote results.

• Praise 1

(edited)
15 minutes ago, Staff69 said:

Dear fellow bros

We be going to cast our votes tomorrow, again, not going to make much difference,  cos pap be going back in power and forming the government again.

For those who has decided whom to vote, I respect your decision.

Just ask yourself,  in any healthy relationship or team work. You need to have diverse views and opinions from different people. 

We need opposition to give constructive criticism and offer a different perspective.  Can you imagine avengers are form by iron man alone,                        

Give Singapore a team not a 1man show8-years-of-the-avengers-how-joss-whedons-risk-became-crucial_5z9w.thumb.jpg.70c10d06f1261602bc00113b484ac7c8.jpg

Let me tag along.

Tomorrow this hour probably everything will be dusk and settled. PAP return to power. The following day we are going to start new complaint threads on government policy again. We need to wait for another 5 more years to use our precious vote to mark pap performance.  The cycle repeat itself. 

I urge everyone to reflect for a minutes. Past 5 years did our living improved or regressed.

Cast your Vote according to your heart.

Edited by Kopites
  • Praise 11

12 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Its a long day for polling agent tomorrow. Stay safe.

For voters also a long night tomorrow if you plan to stay up to witness the live telecast of the GE vote results.

What I'm hoping for is a loong night, not a yang night.

Hopefully, loong night means there are recounts necessary in certain SMCs and GRCs, if you know what I mean

• Haha! 3

(edited)
11 minutes ago, Adrianli said:

Early bird? You PO also arh?:D

PC...

Premises Coordinator [cool]

Using my working place (school) as polling centres. :meaw:

70% of schools single polling but mine, 2 polling centres (AMK - GRC)

Edited by Picnic06-Biante15
  • Praise 5