GE2020: Singapore General Election - 10 July 2020

Picnic06-Biante15

1 minute ago, Yewheng said:

Don't think so by the pm Lee speech.. He is also giving people to help out in wp area too lao.. 

He once said this:

“What is the opposition’s job? It’s not to help the PAP do a better job! Their job is to make life miserable for me so that I screw up and they can come in and sit where I am here and take charge.

Right now we have Low Thia Khiang, we have Chiam, we have Steve Chia. So can deal with them, it’s ok. But supposing you had a Parliament with 10, 15, 20 opposition members out of 80.

Then, instead of spending my time thinking of what is the right policy for Singapore, I’m going to spend all my time – I have to spend all my time – thinking what is the right way to fix them, what is the right way to buy own my supporters over, how can I solve this week’s problem and forget about next year’s challenges?”

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3
  • Angry 1
  • Haha! 1

Just now, No_worries said:

He once said this:

“What is the opposition’s job? It’s not to help the PAP do a better job! Their job is to make life miserable for me so that I screw up and they can come in and sit where I am here and take charge.

Right now we have Low Thia Khiang, we have Chiam, we have Steve Chia. So can deal with them, it’s ok. But supposing you had a Parliament with 10, 15, 20 opposition members out of 80.

Then, instead of spending my time thinking of what is the right policy for Singapore, I’m going to spend all my time – I have to spend all my time – thinking what is the right way to fix them, what is the right way to buy own my supporters over, how can I solve this week’s problem and forget about next year’s challenges?”

http://theindependent.sg/lee-hsien-loongs-speech-on-fixing-the-opposition-resurfaces-and-goes-viral-again-as-ahtc-trial-continues/

Turbocharged
10 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

I think CSJ difficult to win a seat. Ppl would rather vote for a part timer. That alone says a lot. It's an uphill task for CSJ cos ppl remembers the bad things about his past. His arrests, his jail time, his sister, him barking at GCT during their walkabout. I cant recall what it was about but I remember him barking at GCT. 

Sad to say the negativity is stuck with him and it will probably be stuck with him for good. I hope I'm wrong.

Many new citizen added to the mix and in fact i see this as govt's only strategy to increase vote share quickly.

But then, if policies are shitty, new citizen also will fed-up eventually.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

So now the 2 best losers are WC team and EC team. If they take up the NCMP seats, who would u all like to see in the parliament? EC team must be NS lor. WC team leh? 

1 hour ago, Adrianli said:

I was looking at the spoil votes count. Highest is AMK!!!

1) AMK (5k+)

2) Pasir-Ris (3.9k+)

3) Tampines (3.9k+)

4) Jalan Besar (2.9k+)

For AMK, spoil votes no change.

For Tampines, it had dropped from 6+k.

For Jln Besar, clearly there is an increase likely due to Jo Teo and Lim Tean.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
(edited)
24 minutes ago, Kyrios said:

Yup not sure abt the optimism exuded by some fellow forumers, despite the baby steps taken by WP in winning another GRC, i had actually hoped the 2/3 majority can be eroded.

In my view, nothing to rejoice about.  GST will go 10% or above, Changalore will continue to expand, 'new' citizens will continue to be inducted at 20 to 30k per year (enough to win a SMC), more pple in their 40s will drive grab while Jo teo and ccs continue to make snooty speeches in parliament (or for ccs, behind closed doors).

Good luck everyone.

If u ignore the other opposition party and just focus on wp, wp did pretty well.

i think I have posted my comments about what I think about tcb and his capability. What we need is not people like Ivan Lim or tcb , but someone like Jamus.... hopefully he is both capable and right motivations..

jamus is one year my junior... there are lots more people like him. Hopefully this encourages them to step up.

Edited by Wind30
  • Praise 2

1 hour ago, Yewheng said:

https://mothership.sg/2020/07/pritam-singh-leader-of-opposition-pm-lee/

Finally pm Lee officially acknowledged pritam Singh as leader of opposition party and will be provided with appropriate staff and resources to support his duties. Does this mean that WP is able to setup workers party associations over at aljunied and sengkang grc and hougang smc? Then people association will then step aside on these area that they did not win? If that's the case, pm Lee is very fair. 

Moving forward there will be no repeat of Png Eng Huat Facebook post where losing pap candidate at hougang still address as MP? As pm Lee officially name pritum Singh as leader of opposition party and also will be provided with appropriate staff and resources for their duties.. This is what democracy is all about.. 

In other Westminster Parliamentary system, there is an office of Opposition Leader with full staffing paid by govt.

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
3 minutes ago, No_worries said:

He once said this:

小人 thinking. hope they change this mentality. The priority must always be the sustainability of Singapore. Not just economic growth, but in all aspect of life for Singaporean. You ease the life of Singaporean, so they can work faster, earn more, have better life, then eventually they will show you the support too.

Win-win situation.

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 1

(edited)
36 minutes ago, Solar said:

Honestly, I would hope to see the guy come back to show us his proper East Coast Plan 5 years later..

I think he's out of the running for the next PM to be already. Unable to convince and his poor showing means he can't make the grade to be the front man for his party, that's a no for any PM to be. You can't convince the electorate, you can't convince the entire nation. His comment that we aren't ready for a non-Chinese PM speaks volumes about how disconnected and myopic the top leadership is within the PAP.

Even a Chinese educated Teochew ex-teacher has the foresight, guts and conviction to put in the best man for the job to lead the WP, and that happens to be a minority race with Pritam. Based on this alone, it's totally deserving that WP wins big. Their ethos is closer to the founding values of SG, regardless of race, language and religion. 

Edited by Lethalstrike
  • Praise 13

19 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

After listened to his speech.. It seems like there will be designated people assigned to the town council that can be called like that all other pap mp have in privileged.. Like maybe a phone call to this person in lta that in charge of that area.. This will also mean the process is speed up if it requires urgency of the matter.. This also mean no more cc email to People association for aljunied and sengkang? Coz before that whatever issue it is always cc email to people association in aljunied grc and hougang smc.. Guess this will be taken off.. 

Get a room for meet the people session?

• Haha! 2

Twincharged
18 minutes ago, Kopites said:

Maybank 0.95 for time deposit.

Still shit rate.

I thought after this morning it would go up with strong mandate. 😁

Life still the same.

20200711_100720.jpg

You choose wrong time lah... Shud be the time Dr M was ousted... Now if want have to wait until Muhyidin turn liow... 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Twincharged
(edited)
3 minutes ago, Kopites said:

Get a room for meet the people session?

Possible.. Like finally no need to meet the people session at void deck.. But let's see in next few weeks to be more clear.. This is what I interpreted based on pm Lee speech.. 

Edited by Yewheng
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Watwheels said:

The case of the missing Radin Mas RP candidate is the most mysterious. Not only voters are confused with what party he's from he totally missed the tv broadcast? And with no good reason. He's actually helping pap to win more votes to be honest. The RP is the most ill prepared party. I wonder what talented ppl they will attract. Mostly MIA during GE.

And yet LHL's AMK results was actually worse than 2015 when the opposition was the same RP.  Considering RP was so ill-prepared this time, I thought the incumbent result in AMK should be much better, but instead they gone backwards by 6+% compared to 2015!

• Praise 1

7 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

I think he's out of the running for the next PM to be already. Unable to convince and his poor showing means he can't make the grade to be the front man for his party, that's a no for any PM to be. You can't convince the electorate, you can't convince the entire nation. His comment that we aren't ready for a non-Chinese PM speaks volumes about how disconnected and myopic the top leadership is within the PAP.

Even a Chinese educated Teochew ex-teacher has the foresight, guts and conviction to put in the best man for the job to lead the WP, and that happens to be a minority race with Pritam. Based on this alone, it's totally deserving that WP wins big. Their ethos is closer to the founding values of SG, regardless of race, language and religion. 

Look for Zaobao interview with Pritam on 5 things you did not know.

Pritam mentioned that LTK persistent in his effort to convince Pritam to take over Party Secretary.

• Praise 4

(edited)

Do you guys notice how Pritam and other leaders like CSJ and TCB are able to handle off the cuff questions from reporters comfortably, as compared with pinky who can't handle questions that are not scripted beforehand before each interview? I remember LKY was also able to answer questions very comfortably (he may get annoyed but he will still answer).

See this instance where Pritam was answering so many questions from SPH reporters after the election.

Edited by Weez911
  • Praise 7

2 hours ago, Pocy said:

JT can take over speaker of parliament (talk only job) ....... though we still spend $500k on that. At least no damage to be done to our job market. 😢

Wah brother, you surfaced liao ah.. 

Hoseyboh? 😁

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 4

1 hour ago, Mkl22 said:

Who knows, could be planned that way to get rid of HSK. Conspiracy theories.... hahah. 

Well, I would say like grab car model, it’s well tested and the people were pragmatic in voting knowing that it would mean another 1000 episode of Taiwan drama in getting a replacement PN, they choose wise enough to send a clear signal that the grc have been neglected long enough..

If hsk lost than like grab taxi the model that was cheap was not good and broke down ..

↡ Advertisement