GE2020: Singapore General Election - 10 July 2020

Picnic06-Biante15

3 minutes ago, Sosaria said:

SDP only have two prominent faces, CSJ and PT. CSJ is improving his percentage, as the younger voters are less familiar with his past antics. And with the passing of years and further elections down the road, CSJ will no doubt have improved chances.

Not too sure though what is the purpose of having so many oppo parties. Other than WP, the other oppo parties just have no depth of candidates. Each one only has one or two prominent names. All these splinter parties should band together in order to have enough mass and choices, in order to get elected. However when it comes to elections, should still avoid 3-cornered fights, which only plays into the hands of the incumbent.

Aren't the different oppos supposed to be running on different platforms?

They can't all just be the anti PAP right?

1 minute ago, Beregond said:

61%vote but got 89% of the seats?

seem weird to me.?

Improvement on 60% of the vote and 94% of seats

• Praise 1

Supercharged
3 hours ago, Lethalstrike said:

You can check back my earliest post on the Covid-19 thread.

I've specifically said and pointed out that we should have faith in the government with regards of masks when everyone is having doubts, and then I show the FB link of Lam Pin Min in the warehouse with stockpile of masks. End up it became a shit show quickly a weeks down the road and I'm the stupid one for having blind faith.

Yes, we have masks, but only for the essential medical personnel. 

Sama sama. I told my kakis. Family govt say got enough masks. And wear only when sick.

I am a sinner now...

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Icedbs said:

Iswaran got back in by just a whisker.  Hopefully he realised the need to re-look into CECA.

https://www.straitstimes.com/business/third-review-of-landmark-india-singapore-economic-deal-to-focus-on-trade-facilitation-e

I'm not hopeful. For so long he's in the office, what has he really done.. And it's there an overall direction from his boss what to do

15 minutes ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

translation please?

Mr Lau, a 62 years old hawker and a East Coast resident, voted WP in 2015 GE, decided to cast his vote to PAP yesterday. Reason being "HSK is our money god who gave us lot of money recently. We need to consider the future development of East Coast [I believe he is referring to the East Coast Plan 😁]]. Moreover, he traveled far far away from Tampines to East Coast, and was down with srtoke before. It is not easy for him, so we must support him"

Supersonic
5 hours ago, Kopites said:

Agreed. They Mia on national tv. Cardboard!

lHL really need to reflect.

Same go to people voice at JB. Law sue case pending and still able to garner 30 plus percentage. 

Indeed surprise to see PV able to get 34% in JB, guess due to Jo Teo. Many people even find PV cmi but still rather vote for PV than JT. 🙄 Cannot stand JT victory speech. 

• Praise 1

22 minutes ago, Beregond said:

61%vote but got 89% of the seats?

seem weird to me.?

Actually most democracies also like that eg Trump lost the popular vote to Clinton in last US Presidential Elections but still won the Presidency so nothing new. The popular vote is not proportionally equal to no. Of seats in almost any election internationally.

• Praise 6

PAP still 2/3 majority.

PAP still have a whole cheque book full of blank cheques.

santa claus heng survived!!!!!

huat ah!!!!!!

• Haha! 1

4 hours ago, Hamburger said:

Heard WC got more than 6k spoilt vote. 

Repent!!!!!!! 

On a serious note, be it deliberate or not, it's not wise and disappointing indeed. 

I agree if u have credible opposition like TCB n PSP in WC, spoiling of votes is indeed not wise. But I support spoiling of votes in Constituencies with poor Opposition ie candidates who don’t bother campaigning, walking the ground etc 

To clarify, poor Opposition doesn’t mean unknowns or those with average credentials. Poor Opposition is those that bochap, don’t state their views, nvr do TV broadcasts despite being scheduled to do so etc. RP at AMK is one such example and I also read here that the Radin Mas RP candidate went missing something like that. PV also another party with a half hearted approach to campaigning.

Singaporeans are not stupid as I said even before the results n vindicated by the actual results last night. We are hungry for good Opposition candidates but we can’t just put an X on anybody not wearing White just for the sake of opposing.

Edited: Just saw that the 6k figure is actually no shows, WC had 1,645 spoilt votes which is just over 1.12% (lower than the national average of 1.84%)

• Praise 12

2 hours ago, yishunite said:

One interesting thing we may see is the end of the parachute scholar general

Nowadays we can actually rattle off all the failures: starting with George Yeo we also seen the back of Lui Tuck Yew, Ng Chee Meng... dunno what status now for Tan Chuan Jin but clearly a has-been in PAP books

Then theres CCS... maybe favourite of LHL but intense negatives from many segments and can see there is brewing resentment even within his party with all the leaks

Ivan Lim saga show that even when they try to diversify abit... the recoil vs SAF type is very strong mostly amongst millennial generation

Gan should have been an all-star with nothing but praise... instead she barely scraped past one of those old guard oppo types that the younger generation dont care for either... the clincher? Ang Yong Guan also is ex-SAF. Negative for him too.

I think underlying problem for PAP is they try to tell us this is complex world and we need good leaders to manage it. Not untrue. But our paper generals who only ever played wargames may be in fact the least qualified to manage the complex world out there. For every Lui Tuck Yew and Ng Chee Meng, we have their counterparts failing just as badly in pte sector... Desmond Kwek, Ng Yat Chung, etc Singaporeans not stupid. Complex world ok. Give us good leaders who have intellect to unpack this complex world and manage it like Tharman. Give us paper general who bark commands at the complex world will help us how? Cant even make trains run on time how to manage AI/cyber revolution and unstable global environments?

I think that's also the result of a more intelligent population?

I'm assuming the population in Sengkang is also better educated since many people have pointed out the age band.

So when 'scholar' types of candidates are blindly parachuted without fighting for their rights, the population is generally unhappy. This is a very different mindset compared to the PG and MG population where most of them hardly have a graduate at home. My family has 2 graduates and it was considered a BIG thing in my generation :secret-laugh:.

Intelligence these days in Singapore has lost it's vibe especially with the younger crowd. Even made worse in this crazy world where people have to fight for every inch for the corporate ladder. The younger population in Sengkang has clearly demonstrated that. This is not just a period of 5 years, it must be years of being lost touch that it happened. WP seems to understand that but a bad move to place NS in East Coast cost them 5 seats.

Hopefully our ruling party realize with good intelligent people, there must also be empathy. I think we have yet to see true, genuine empathy when people loses touch with the ground.

Empathy.gif

• Praise 3

Hypersonic
6 minutes ago, Windwaver said:

I think that's also the result of a more intelligent population?

I'm assuming the population in Sengkang is also better educated since many people have pointed out the age band.

So when 'scholar' types of candidates are blindly parachuted without fighting for their rights, the population is generally unhappy. This is a very different mindset compared to the PG and MG population where most of them hardly have a graduate at home. My family has 2 graduates and it was considered a BIG thing in my generation :secret-laugh:.

Intelligence these days in Singapore has lost it's vibe especially with the younger crowd. Even made worse in this crazy world where people have to fight for every inch for the corporate ladder. The younger population in Sengkang has clearly demonstrated that. This is not just a period of 5 years, it must be years of being lost touch that it happened. WP seems to understand that but a bad move to place NS in East Coast cost them 5 seats.

Hopefully our ruling party realize with good intelligent people, there must also be empathy. I think we have yet to see true, genuine empathy when people loses touch with the ground.

Empathy.gif

I would say SK have a lot of PMD riders doing delivery and they are not happy with Lam Pa Min. 

• Praise 6
  • Haha! 2

50 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Indeed surprise to see PV able to get 34% in JB, guess due to Jo Teo. Many people even find PV cmi but still rather vote for PV than JT. 🙄 Cannot stand JT victory speech. 

I'm one of them who voted PV, and I agree Lim Tean's team was crap. 

Personally, it's a tactical decision to bring down JT's winning margin deliberately. I know she will win for sure, but I just cannot stand her and how desperately her boss is trying to protect such incompetency by having her parachuted into a safe haven like Jalan Besar. 

• Praise 13

Hypersonic
(edited)

I hope West Coast residents sleep well at night.

At 80 years old, does one think he wanted the power and money? He can retired comfortably and tend to his plants at his garden. Why do all the campaigning stuff? It’s tiring.

His friend GCT at 79 already enjoying life with his wealth.

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 11
  • Sad 6

15 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

I would say SK have a lot of PMD riders doing delivery and they are not happy with Lam Pa Min. 

You mean this? :grin:

lam-pin-min-call-out-goh-meng-seng.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 5