GE2020: Singapore General Election - 10 July 2020

Picnic06-Biante15

20 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

May not be new citizen. Could be any shit stirrer from other countries. Out to disunite us. 

This is the kind of online falsehood which should be POFMAed. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

17 minutes ago, Kopites said:

This is what I called "pulling power".😁

Imagine doing that with Jo Teo. Hahaha

Seems that all the 雪玲s, no matter Sun or Seah have the star power. 

• Praise 1

6 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

Singapore government in denial

12 July 2020

Author: Michael Barr, Flinders University

The People’s Action Party (PAP) government of Singapore has suffered its worst ever election result, but Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong has suggested merely that the result was ‘not as strong an endorsement as hoped’.

Individual swings against the ruling party of up to 27 per cent and typically 6–15 per cent were insufficient to defeat well-entrenched PAP candidates who enjoyed a multitude of unfair advantages. If the result is not recognised as a disaster, the government is in denial.

Elections are Singaporeans’ twice-a-decade opportunity to send messages to the government and, on this occasion, the message was clear. A national 7.62 per cent swing against the PAP delivered its second-lowest national vote since independence — 61.24 per cent, only 1.1 per cent better than the train-wreck 2011 election.

The opposition Workers’ Party enjoyed massive swings to strengthen its hold on its existing seats and to win four seats in a newly-created multi-member constituency. This added four more MPs to bring the opposition tally to 10, against the PAP’s 83. The Progress Singapore Party, led by former PAP MP Tan Cheng Bock, separately came within a whisker of defeating the PAP in its West Coast heartland.

Worryingly for the government’s succession plans, Prime Minister Lee’s designated successor and favoured family friend Heng Swee Keat held his constituency with a mere 3.4 per cent margin, down 7 per cent from the 2015 election. Heng was also in charge of the PAP’s national campaign, so he bears heavy responsibility for the flop. It is a sign of the state of self-delusion, both in cabinet and among what passes for Singapore’s political commentariat, that a recurring theme of the election-night coverage was that ‘this is not a referendum on Heng Swee Keat’. It was.

The most sobering lesson for Prime Minister Lee and his inner circle is that the next generation of leaders — known collectively as ‘4G’ — have failed to cut through to the electorate, and do not seem up to the job of government.

Between them, the 4G leaders have presided over a massive COVID-19 failure, government data breaches involving personal medical records, rising health and transport prices (and failures), new restrictions on when retired Singaporeans can access retirement savings, and a flatlining economy.

Amid these failures has been an alarming 4G initiative: empowering cabinet ministers to issue directives to websites with supposed correction notices, backed by huge fines for those that don’t comply. During the election campaign this power, known as the Protection from Online Falsehoods and Manipulation Act (POFMA), was wielded by permanent secretaries, thus politicising and weaponizing the civil service against the opposition. Tellingly, civil servants wielded POFMA fairly freely during the election campaign.

Heng’s personal contribution to government has been a series of inarticulate speeches, that are perhaps the consequence of the lingering effects of a massive stroke he suffered in 2016, but which are making him something of a figure of fun, not just in Singapore but in the region.

It is hard to believe that Lee is not aware, but it is even more difficult to accept that Heng’s colleagues, who he beat in the race to the top, are also not aware — especially as nearly all of them polled better than Heng himself.

The 4G leaders have been basically running government for the last year or more and this was the election where Singaporeans were asked for their judgement — which they gave, though no one seems to be listening.

Lee Hsien Loong was planning to step down as prime minister in the next year or so. He has postponed these plans indefinitely, but in his post-election press conference he made it eminently clear that Heng is still the anointed successor. So desperate is Lee to keep his succession plans in place that he is willing to keep his senior team in place for another parliamentary term to protect Heng from his own shortcomings, and from the ambitions of his colleagues.

Why is Lee so keen on Heng? Perhaps because he is the only candidate he can rely upon to step down at a time that suits Lee’s longer-term succession plans.

The election points to secular deterioration in the standards of Singapore’s government. The outcome for the opposition is now much rosier. The Workers’ Party has confirmed its status as the main opposition party under its new leader, Pritam Singh. It was particularly instructive to see a new generation of political activists — including high calibre minority (Indian and Malay) candidates — take leading roles in the Workers’ Party’s successful campaigns. Looking ahead, it will need to think more strategically in choosing where to run its most effective campaigners.

Tan Cheng Bock has also declared that he will be back for another round in five years’ time — keeping alive his fledgling party, which nearly defeated two ministers on the West Coast.

If these ‘Davids’ can find a way to form a single alignment with a fused brand and a cooperative strategy, they might even be able to do some serious damage to the common ‘Goliath’ they confront.

Michael Barr is Associate Professor in International Relations in the College of Business, Government and Law, Flinders University. He is a fellow of the Australian Academy of the Humanities and Associate Editor of Asian Studies Review.

Why is Lee so keen on Heng? Perhaps because he is the only candidate he can rely upon to step down at a time that suits Lee’s longer-term succession plans.

What this mean?

• Haha! 1

7 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

Taken from Facebook. Seems to be from WeChat.

4A3189ED-4D19-4DCA-BDF1-039FDB7B1E27.jpeg

Might be someone of Cantonese origin.   话语权? 

• Praise 2
  • Angry 1

8 hours ago, Yewheng said:

Thanks for this link. Yep indeed, a few policies came from WP...

"Mr Goh (GCT) must have been in parliament when the WP proposed our alternative A Dynamic Population For A Sustainable Singapore, or when we proposed our alternative model for ministerial salaries. I was deeply involved in those. I had also presented various proposals in education and early childhood during my time in parliament, amongst others. Most of what I had proposed for reforms to the early childhood sector have now been adopted in one form or another. When I had proposed them early in my parliament term, the proposals were new at that time. Perhaps others had proposed similar policy transformation to the sector that I had called for, but not in parliament before I did, unless I am mistaken. I am not claiming credit for proposing these persistently. Just because the government does not acknowledge our contributions when changes were made does not mean that the opposition did not propose anything. Similarly, I had persistently called for all primary schools to have Student Care inside the school, and the proposal was brushed aside. I went through extensive effort on my own to even call many existing SC centres within schools to better understand the situation of urgent shortage of places. Some time later, MOE announced that all primary schools would eventually have SC centres. I was the first to propose in parliament that we could implement laws to punish companies outside of Singapore for transboundary haze. That was eventually done."

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

Turbocharged
6 hours ago, Lethalstrike said:

Seems that all the 雪玲s, no matter Sun or Seah have the star power. 

how about a clash of the xuelings next GE? 😂

SXL vs NS in one selected SMC

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Cauldron said:

Why is Lee so keen on Heng? Perhaps because he is the only candidate he can rely upon to step down at a time that suits Lee’s longer-term succession plans.

What this mean?

This one obviously a stirrer.  Don’t read too much into it.  Lee family will just go the way the Chiangs went in Taiwan.  

Also Heng’s  polling in EC vs say CCS numbers in TP or OYK numbers in Sembawang is meaningless.  Any coffee shop uncle could have educate the professor on that. 

heng was also chosen from among his peers.  He might not even be LHL first choice.  

(edited)
2 minutes ago, Scion said:

how about a clash of the xuelings next GE? 😂

SXL vs NS in one selected SMC

Don’t think wise for her to challenge SXL.  She is very loved too.  

we shdnt encourage anything that will lower the number of MILFs in parliament 

Edited by Chongster
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 7

7 hours ago, Kopites said:

This is what I called "pulling power".😁

Imagine doing that with Jo Teo. Hahaha

Uncle one meter 一下。。。🤣🤣🤣

Sign of the times in the age of Corona. 

Twincharged
32 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

Thanks for this link. Yep indeed, a few policies came from WP...

"Mr Goh (GCT) must have been in parliament when the WP proposed our alternative A Dynamic Population For A Sustainable Singapore, or when we proposed our alternative model for ministerial salaries. I was deeply involved in those. I had also presented various proposals in education and early childhood during my time in parliament, amongst others. Most of what I had proposed for reforms to the early childhood sector have now been adopted in one form or another. When I had proposed them early in my parliament term, the proposals were new at that time. Perhaps others had proposed similar policy transformation to the sector that I had called for, but not in parliament before I did, unless I am mistaken. I am not claiming credit for proposing these persistently. Just because the government does not acknowledge our contributions when changes were made does not mean that the opposition did not propose anything. Similarly, I had persistently called for all primary schools to have Student Care inside the school, and the proposal was brushed aside. I went through extensive effort on my own to even call many existing SC centres within schools to better understand the situation of urgent shortage of places. Some time later, MOE announced that all primary schools would eventually have SC centres. I was the first to propose in parliament that we could implement laws to punish companies outside of Singapore for transboundary haze. That was eventually done."

I am more interested in the 2nd part he mentioned.. 

Screenshot_20200713_082507_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.b47367f26c59583c15adebec87acac89.jpg

This is the one... If pm Lee officially name pritum singh as opposition leader also meant wp elected mp finally able to use grassroots facilities, particularly the PA resources and decide on the community improvement fund in their own ward, then it is really a very good move in terms on creating fair competition.. And also the sentences he mentioned thereafter.. That could save some taxpayers money. Reduce in government expenditure should be the most critical step government should do now, not increasing government expenditure to fix the opposition party. 

15 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

🤣🤣

The handshake by LHL damn guniang. Like waiting to be kiss by Trump.

1A674592-F04E-4730-9551-FFB50B7F23FA.jpeg

Actually LHL is trying to indicate to Trump that he is superior than him. Its all in the handshake.

https://www.idiva.com/career/advice/10-types-of-handshakes-and-what-they-mean/15070642

9. The Top-Handed Shake: Instead of holding his hand in a vertical position, this hand shaker holds it horizontally, so that his hand is on top of yours. This means he feels superior to you.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 5

8 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

May not be new citizen. Could be any shit stirrer from other countries. Out to disunite us. 

If you read the chinese written, its def not of a China chinese orgin. Its way off. The percentage and the brain damage part are the biggest give away. 

At times, i just cannot stand the way some supporters from both camps try to do. Low class attacks.

• Praise 4

Twincharged
(edited)
2 hours ago, Cauldron said:

What this mean?

Don't know, maybe he is looking at all other younger ministers (they are also getting older) and no one seems to fit pm role even ccs also cannot fit based on the way he talk to public. Then see hsk, okay at least have some fit.. That's what they have now so have to make do with it. Just don't know why pm Lee just don't want to LOOK at tharman and think, hey he's a perfect fit for the up coming pm. Haiz...

Edited by Yewheng

Turbocharged
16 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

I see LHY very awkward when doing walkabout. Don’t think he’s a people’s person.

Imagine he got elected as an MP and doing Meet the People Session. Then people tell him about this issue that issue...he where got interested?

LWL even worse...

but tbf going out meeting public to canvass for vote is not easy. Need to have skin like those mrt insurance agents.

Hypersonic

C. V. Devan Nair. Former President of the Republic of Singapore, wrote below in 1999 about how one type of bullying in SG politics began. Here's hoping GE 2020 marks the beginning of the end of this type of politics. 

"It is just as well that I release this requiem now. If not timely yet, it will be soon enough. Here goes, for good or ill to myself:

Some months after I was kicked upstairs to the presidency of the republic of Singapore in October 1981, there was a by-election in the parliamentary constituency of Anson, which I had held prior to my ill-fated elevation. I had won that seat with a comfortable majority of some 80 percent of the votes cast. The PAP's candidate in the by-election was a relative unknown, while the Workers Party put up J.B Jeyaretnam. To the consternation of the PAP, Jeyaretnam won.

The day after the by-election verdict was declared, I had lunch with the Prime Minister. I was amazed at how he fretted and fumed like a caged fury. As I saw it, Jeyaretnam constituted no threat at all to the PAP whether in parliament or outside it. For one thing, despite Jeyas courage, he displayed a woeful lack of economics. He clearly never knew at any point of time how Singapore clicked economically. And it was as plain as a pikestaff to me that in five years of free performance in 'parliament against the likes of Dr Goh Keng Swee, Mr Lim Kim San et al, he would stand exposed in public for his abysmal ignorance of economics.

In truth, if I had to cope with J.B Jeyaretnam as a hostile delegate at regular National Trade Union Congress (NTUC) Delegates Conferences, I would have given him all the rope and more he wanted to hang himself with. And after free and open arguments over three days of conferencing, I would have beaten him hands down at the ballot box. I knew this, as did the workers. For they knew that in the colonial days, Jeyaretnam had never stood on a picket line. I had, not once but several times, not only stood on picket lines, but also bedded down for the night on the gravel with the workers whom I led.

“I told all this to Kuan Yew. Nothing I said sank in. He fretted about a potential critical percentage drop in PAP votes across all the constituencies that could eventually bring the PAP government down, and he wouldn't stand for it. Only later did I realise that this was the moment that started his formidable brain box ticking away furiously at the fecund gerrymandering schemes he was to introduce later to ensure that all opposition parties would be put in a Gordian bind that would make it impossible for them to ever achieve control of parliament, unless an Alexander came along. Such a possibility appears impossible now, unless it takes the awesome shape of shattering geo-political circumstances already building up around Singapore.

Immediately, however, Kuan Yew's attention was concentrated on how he would deal with J.B Jeyaretnam in parliament. I was quite alarmed at some of the things he told me at that lunch. "Look," he said, "Jeyaretnam cant win the infighting. I'll tell you why. WE are in charge. Every government ministry and department is under our control. And in the infighting, he will go down for the count every time." And I will never forget his last words. "I will make him crawl on his bended knees, and beg for mercy."

Jeyaretnam was made of sterner stuff. To his eternal credit he never did crawl on bended knees, or ever begged for mercy. And it is to Lee Kuan Yew's eternal shame that Jeyaretnam will leave the political scene with his head held high, enjoying a martyrdom conferred on him by Lee. Lest I be misunderstood, let me state that Jeya more than deserves the crown of the martyr for his indomitable courage and dignity in the face of the vilest persecution.

Even greater human spirits than Jeyaretnam had refused to bend their knees to Lee Kuan Yew. It is my considered view that the greatest human being living in Singapore today is one who declined to surrender to the intimidation of prolonged incarceration and restrictions imposed on him without trial for a total period which exceeds that suffered by Nelson Mandela. And here was the mark of true greatness. He emerged from the experience like a god unembittered. His name is Chia Thye Poh. And it is Lee Kuan Yew who emerged from the episode as the knave and fool of his own mindless vindictiveness, while the real conqueror smiles benignly - unnoted, of course, by the local media. For only sound waves from the Istana Annexe are picked up and regurgitated by His Master's Voice.

There is no political justification for obliging the Workers' Party to close down. And not a shred of moral justification. What lies behind the move is among the most brazen vindictiveness ever shown in the political life of Singapore. It merely adds one more nail in the coffin of the PAP's reputation when the true history of the party will be exposed to the world, as it surely will be one day in the coming decades of the third millennium. As mankind accelerates to the abyss, the shining memories of the past will certainly not include Lee Kuan Yew and the department store dummies he boasts today as his acolytes. He clearly does not possess the foresight to avoid such a fate.

I gladly salute J.B. Jeyaretnam and the Worker's Party at this highly deserved requiem, even if I never once had shared their platform."

Source: https://ohioopen.library.ohio.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1001&context=berita&fbclid=IwAR2uIRyau2f9RXp7uaGVPFQmqvoAfVwTcK57py62s7gzBZ7lhM3eZnUhar8

• Praise 2
  • Shocked 1

Hypersonic
1 minute ago, Karoon said:

but tbf going out meeting public to canvass for vote is not easy. Need to have skin like those mrt insurance agents.

Yes it’s true. Have to be very thick skinned. Sometimes also get F by bald guy or given thumbs down by pappies.

Twincharged
(edited)
3 minutes ago, Karoon said:

So everything is a bluff.. The most important part is selling, not at the best interest of national. Can it be both or best STILL, no need selling part and yet can achieve the best interest of national? Haha

Edited by Yewheng
↡ Advertisement