6 Mods That Are A Waste Of Money For A Daily Driver

kobayashiGT

12 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

It could be. I don't know about the name but it was a big black box. 

:D

That’s the first gen. I had it too. Remember meeting up at a car park in AMK central.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

The reason MCF is such a great forum is because we keep the good posters and all the idiots are gone.

This poster below is saying -  "Most people will FEEL some sort of improvement becos they paid something out of their pocket....hence they are fooling themselves to FEEL some sort of improvement."

On 8/15/2005 at 5:44 PM, C708 said:

Brudder,

There will some who swear by it, some who swear at it.....but basically these are little add-ons that prey on your intelligence or lack of it...... [laugh][laugh][laugh] Most people will FEEL some sort of improvement becos they paid something out of their pocket....hence they are fooling themselves to FEEL some sort of improvement. I know personally of an Octy driver ( used to frequent here too ) who installed one of the gizmos who swears at it now !! HE has since changed his ride too........

At the end of it .....its your $$ .....so its up to you how you wish to spend ..rite ??

[pirate][cool]

This poster agrees with him.

On 8/15/2005 at 6:10 PM, XLR8 said:

Well said..clap clap. Pay money, feel something theory.. [laugh]

I am very happy to say this poster below is still with us and I really believe him when he says after using Z-stab - my volt gauge become more stable after that (it was previously going from 12 to 14 all the time up and down)

I really do not believe that because he paid money he is in the words of C708 - "fooling themselves to FEEL some sort of improvement."

On 8/15/2005 at 6:05 PM, Lightspeed said:

I had one in my old ride... didn't feel a thing...but my volt gauge become more stable after that (it was previously going from 12 to 14 all the time up and down)

Now have one in my present ride... don't feel any difference also...

Reason why I still use it? Heck... I got it super cheap... just dump it in... [:p]

Its really very simple. If someone say their aircon is colder or their lights are brighter or their bass is stronger then it maybe true or it maybe subjective. 

But if someone says - "my volt gauge become more stable after that (it was previously going from 12 to 14 all the time up and down)" Then its not subjective. They can actually see the change.

On my car on start up it would rev to 1,500 and then drop to 650. But after using the Volt (or Z-stab as I just learnt today its former name) it starts up at 650 and always stayed at 650. No up and down.

After I took it out to use a battery desulfier it went back to 1,500 before dropping to 650 again.

Now I am not telling anyone to buy the Volt and they stopped selling it years ago but there is something to it.

As Lightspeed said it stabilised his volt meter and that means it stabilised the current in his car. Someone here reminded me that people put a big cap with their subwoofer for better bass. The big cap's job is also to sabilise the current to improve the bass.

I think its all related. As the name suggest voltage stabiliser is well supposed to stabilise the voltage and this VS actually did that. Some other brands didn't do squat but that does not mean they all do not work.

:grin:

Now many people don't understand electricity.

Some audiophiles use a green marker to mark their edge of the CDs and people laugh at them. Bloody fools they don't know how CDs work. Marking the edge is not going to improve the sound at all - they screamed.

Actually yes it does and the reason is very simple. Without the green marking the pick up that reads the reflected laser light is all picking up all the scattered reflections like the disco ball below. 

image.png.22e63e12568bcd2208af3bc337d223e6.png

The CDs with the green markings the pick up is reading the laser with less reflected lights.

People that know about CD players will say but this doesn't matter because the CD has an error checking and correction chip and they are absolutely right.

But playing a CD with the green markings means the error correction chip didn't have to work so hard and didn't have to draw so much current from the CD player and more current produced a better sound.

As all audiophiles know the most important is a stable power supply. That's why some amplifiers are so big and heavy because of the big power supply inside.

The power supply is the big round donut

image.png.501dd4fe3b7efc07d0533620f3e76bb6.png

Last point. Some audiophiles said same company same model black speaker cables sounded so much better than the blue cables.

Some people that operate mouth before engaging brain say - these people are mad. How can the same cable with the same copper wire inside one sound better than another?

Of course it can and the reason is very simple. The black cables used a carbon base as the colour pigment to make the cable black plastic casing and the blue cable used an iron based pigment to make the blue colour plastic casing.

As we all know carbon is a very good conductor of electricity and iron is not and the blue iron casing created resistance in the cable that distorted the sound.  

Its all science but few people understand science.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Couldn't believe what I saw was still selling at Vicom when I went for car inspection....LOL

20200701_092155.jpg

• Haha! 5

Internal Moderator
29 minutes ago, Soya said:

Couldn't believe what I saw was still selling at Vicom when I went for car inspection....LOL

20200701_092155.jpg

Woah. Sure-bo???? hahaha.

• Haha! 2

Supersonic
(edited)
1 hour ago, kobayashiGT said:

Woah. Sure-bo???? hahaha.

Legit. Thot the empty chair next to it says it all

Which made sense since we know the usefulness of this car inspection thingy.....

Edited by Soya
  • Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
20 minutes ago, Soya said:

Legit. Thot the empty chair next to it says it all

Which made sense since we know the usefulness of this car inspection thingy.....

hahahahah.  But hor, the namecard finishing soon leh. Got ppl take. 🧐

• Haha! 2

Hypersonic
On 6/29/2020 at 6:07 PM, Playtime said:

Had it too.

Repairman said moisture cos never use often.. in the end he added a ground wire. Then ok liao. 

When people hear grounding some people automatically start screaming - waste of money, nothing happens.

Grounding in a car is connecting a wire from the negative terminal of the battery to the body work.

So what would happen if you connect a wire from the positive terminal of the battery to the body work? 

Would this electrify your car and make it like an electric fence so that anyone touch your car they will be immediately electrocuted or if connecting the battery negative to body nothing happens, waste of money so connecting the body to the battery positive also nothing happens, waste of money?

If people that scream nothing happens are thinking I am not really sure how can they not know since they are so sure nothing happens if you do grounding?

If people that scream grounding waste of money, nothing happens are not sure its because they hear other people scream waste of money, nothing happens and they also just repeat like parrots.

If they not sure then it means they don't know about grounding and electricity.

Then why are they screaming grounding - waste of money, nothing happens?

• Haha! 1

Toby said:

I can tell you why it doesn't work.

Ones and zeros + green (or whatever color) marker = exact same ones and zeros! ...

And no, I have not tried it, but I don't care to because I know it won't work (kind of a reverse placebo effect...that's what I get for being an engineer)

Sorry to tell an engineer: there are no ones nor zeros on a CD.

There are pits in the reflecting surface of a rotating disc, and laser light is reflected with or without phase shift which causes less or more steep slopes in an electronic signal. Additionally there are several different effects in cables that transport these signals. Somewhere pretty late in the electronic stages of a DAC these waveforms are translated - maybe into zeros and ones - before they will be converted into an analog signal.

There's pretty much to experiment with, and there are pretty much causes and effects to be studied. The CD is as much 1 and 0 as the world is black and white. Oh, yes, and every mastering sounds the same...

- i bought a cheap voltage stabilizer, cause some issues and on of the capacitors also was bloated or blakc when i removed the box (it was a blue box see thru plastic). Read for modern car, its pointless but for an older car, it would be useful. 

- I also play around with so a few panel filters (K&N, Hurricane, HKS, Blitz, OEM knockoffs (yes i even tried it), Short Ram intakes... there is some difference, increase butt feeling not so much, Hurricane sounded slightly louder but the OEM knockoffs was so bad, my car was struggling). The OEM filter was very dirty and clearly was affecting the performance after a while, but the high flow filters looked very clean in comparison in the same duration (All the dirt, silica dust, gunk is inside the engine). So if you that type that rarely change their OEM air filter, when u "upgrade" to high flow filter, of course you will feel a much improved power. 

my further internet "research" indicates that that unless u are also increasing the turbo size, injectors, fuel pumps, decat, catback, etc the extra airflow that the intake can achieve will not be really utilized.    

- I previously tried the vortex intake, almost bought the Surbo until i read the reviews in this forum, operate my exhaust, HKS grounding kit...all to upgrade to my B&B car......finally "achieved"

1. car fuel efficiency dropped from 14KM/L to 10KM/L
  2. Easier to redline but no power 😞..maybe thats y fuel efficiency dropped
  3. "louder" engine noise
  4. The realization that the journey was more fun that the actual result...and listen to that advise i read way back at the start..."just buy a factory turbo car" (2nd hand one of course...cannot afford new) 

Sometimes we are influenced by forums and youtube from other countries, cause the mods they do there are actual performance mods...and most of the performance mod that is legal in Singapore are actually complimentary mods in the other countries, AFTER their turbo mod or mods for drifting and track. 

After all that, now i looking at how to install mods to improve my factory turbo car ............  😛 

• Haha! 1

you see, there's a big conspiracy theory. factory engineered and tuned car wants you to have a broken down badly performing car, so 3rd party marketeers can sell you all the improvement you need, and definitely you need them, but of cuz you need to pay more. [laugh]

• Haha! 1