Lazada appoints its 3rd CEO in 3 years

Internal Moderator

Lazada appoints its 3rd CEO in 3 years

source: https://www.asiaone.com/digital/lazada-appoints-its-3rd-ceo-3-years

20200627_third.jpg?itok=UqN2QLCR

SINGAPORE - Southeast Asian e-commerce firm Lazada, a unit of Alibaba Group Holding Ltd, on Friday named its third chief executive in three years - a move that comes after it lost ground last year to rival Shopee.

Chun Li, Lazada co-president and head of its Indonesia operations, will take the helm from July, replacing co-founder Pierre Poignant.

The change was made after a middling performance from the e-commerce firm, two sources with knowledge of the matter told Reuters, declining to be identified as they were not authorised to speak to media.

A Lazada spokesman said there was "no truth to this statement" and the company rejected what it called an unsubstantiated assessment of its performance.

Singapore-based Shopee, which is backed by Tencent Holdings, was the most downloaded e-commerce app and the most used in Southeast Asia as of end-2019, knocking Lazada to second place, according to research firm iPrice. Shopee's website also attracts more visitors than Lazada's, iPrice said.

Lazada has disputed those findings without providing details.

Li will work to improve Lazada's performance through data technology application and business localisation, the company said.

"We introduce change to strengthen our leadership in support of our business strategy", the spokesman said.

Alibaba has had struggles in managing Lazada and sources have highlighted a long-running culture clash with management from China and heavy executive turnover in recent years.

Poignant himself replaced Lucy Peng who stepped down as CEO after nine months in 2018 although she remains executive chairwoman. Lazada said Poignant will now become special assistant to Alibaba Group CEO Daniel Zhang.

Three sources also told Reuters Lazada is examining whether to rebrand or shut down LazMall, its take on Alibaba's Tmall marketplace where companies set up virtual shops.

The Lazada spokesman said this was incorrect and LazMall was an important business for the company.

E-commerce in Southeast Asia was worth $38 billion last year and is expected to grow rapidly, according to a study by Google, Temasek and Bain & Company.

Not the chun li that i am expecting thou. 😅

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e4785faec7b745239c247

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
10 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Lazada needs to buck up in terms of both service and price to fend off Shopee. 

I agree. I used to only use lazada for my online shopping. But their service is getting worse in recent year.

I am now a regular shopper in shopee now.

• Praise 4

Me too.

Have problem making payment to Lazada for 8 months.

Have to tell similar problem reported in Malaysia and Philippines and it is in their FAQ.

But the heck care.

Tried 4 different credit cards.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Volvobrick said:

Agreee

i have given up on LAzada

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

I use mostly qoo10, so far no issue.

I used Lazada before to purchase some small furniture in Malaysia,  the delivery wasn't good (not lazada's fault, but the 3rd party seller), which Lazada did promptly refunded through their system. 

Never use shopee before though. 

Internal Moderator
2 hours ago, Wt_know said:

taobao

lazada

q010

shopee

shopback

how do you decide to buy from which portal huh?

above is my preference

I usually do 2 website comparison.

either taobao vs shopee or

Lazada vs shopee.

See which one cheaper, see which one have free shipping. . .

3 hours ago, Wt_know said:

taobao

lazada

q010

shopee

shopback

how do you decide to buy from which portal huh?

above is my preference

I know I know ...... I did a deep dive on this one ......

Taobao - Basically, you buy from them if the item is REALLY VERY HEAVY....like Audio Amplifier, Electric Massage Chair, Furnitures etc.  

Lazada - It ONLY ADVANTAGE I can see is that it OFFER you GENUINE PRODUCT GUARANTEE.  Like BUYING Xiaomi product, if it is fake, money back lor.  Some SPECIALITY product like Telescope Filter, CCD Sensors tends to be cheaper in recent time when compare with Aliexpress

Qoo10 - Is best use for perishable foods like BAK KWA, Frozen Foods, durians etc. Some Home Appliances, Mattress also tends to be  the cheapest and best quality among the online universe. I bought a refrigerator from Audio Hse via Qoo10 450L Hitachi for 750 while Audio House sell 1095.

Shopee - Clothings, CPU Fan and exotics item LIKE Ukulele - They sell. 

Shopback - I don't even know how they make money.  They themselves don't offer much item/seller but heavily depends on other online portal especially Qoo10.

Aliexpress - Almost ANYTHING you want can be found HERE.  From High performance CCD sensor, LIDAR, Car Parts, PCBA, Aircon/TV remote controller, PLC, Diving Suit, LED lightings, clothings, USB cables, MCB, 3 Phase Measurment Meters, Camping, Oscilloscope, Lanterns, 77GHz Radar, Soya Bean Milk Maker, Car jack ......... EVERYTHING.  Current, due to COVID19, avoid buying big sized/Heavy item as 4PX screw up BIG TIME.  They don't sell Dual Use items.

Zalora - Women stuff ..... REALLY.  No Question Asked Policy for returns.

• Praise 5

Turbocharged

Received a crack glass screen protector. Immediately put up refund request in shopee. Cost is $2.40 with shipping. Deduct $0.42 as using the shopee coins. Total $1.98. Can only request refund for the $1.98, lost $0.42 🤣 

20200628_175740.jpg

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

my vote qoo10 although their cso damn “Ivan” 

price good although not best

qxpress delivery quite fast too

rest tried but don’t like 

• Haha! 5

(edited)

I usually buy from lazada or shopee cos they have local sellers.  The stuff arrives faster.

From china then it depends liao.  Sometimes aliexpress. 

But rarely WISH website cos the price is cheap then when u see the shipping cost it is so expensive. 

Edited by Philipkee

Turbocharged
3 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

I usually buy from lazada or shopee cos they have local sellers.  The stuff arrives faster.

From china then it depends liao.  Sometimes aliexpress. 

But rarely WISH website cos the price is cheap then when u see the shipping cost it is so expensive. 

even from china, the stuff if ordered from shopee usually will be faster than ali

• Shocked 1

i buy most things from Taobao. Why? Most reviews. Sometimes the things i buy are normal household items like socks/underwear etc. There's also lots of children stuff that is properly reviewed. Belts, wallets, work bag I all buy from there.

If Lazada has something with 4-5 reviews, I'd rather go for something in TB that has 100. even if the cost of lazada/shopee is cheaper slightly. Just the power of numbers. And it's more likely i find something interesting in TB to get.

Shipping cost to me is not really an issue. If it's heavy, just go via sea.

Shopee/lazada/Ali are for me to find a specific product and check price.
Taobao is where i do browsing.
Qoo10 for foodstuffs/diapers/thirsty hippo etc.

Anyway the breadth and depth of TB is just multiple times much larger.
It's not like u search for one product, then u get only like 2-3 options just different sellers selling the same thing. on TB, it maybe 7-8 totally different products, not even talking about different sellers.

• Praise 2

10 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

Achilles heel is suppliers need to get own last mile fulfilment services and many issues faced by these services, 

Missing, damage items etc affecting the shopper experience. 

Turbocharged

I've never order from taobao before because it's in chinese language. Is this the direct link that you guys order from https://world.taobao.com/ ? I keep having issues, like slow loading, cannot load the item page etc. Any English version 🤣

↡ Advertisement