Fully paid car , drive to end or ?

Ironstarz

2 hours ago, Kopites said:

16 vezel brought at 103k. Coe 42kplus. No loan and probably intend to drive till 10 years. A new car of the same make coming to 90k.

No worth I reckon. 😀

Of have extra extra extra money to splurge,  it is not a crime to change car. But  from spending point of view, yoi are wise to say not worth . You get a few months of happiness after changing to a new car, but you will ask the same question like now  again as the car gets older. Viscious cycle. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

To me this question serves no purpose as different people will give different answers, and the best part is that they might also not follow through with their answers. You can calculate and calculate and know the topic inside out, but when opportunity present itself, you will still know how to convince yourself to change lah. How many time i told myself and my wife this car very satisfied sure drive till 10th year, but funny always can find excuse one haha. Just relax and enjoy till your next ride lah. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

For me, I treat car like gal friend, if she gave me issues and constant parts problem, and every months change this / that . . I will just sell her to the highest bidder.

If the car treats me well, normal services and wear and tear issues through good and bad time just like my wife doing her job like cooking, washing and marketing and taking care of my kids, I will  treat her well with kindness and TLC ( Tender Loving Care ). [drivingcar]

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

40 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

Of have extra extra extra money to splurge,  it is not a crime to change car. But  from spending point of view, yoi are wise to say not worth . You get a few months of happiness after changing to a new car, but you will ask the same question like now  again as the car gets older. Viscious cycle. 

My first car in Singapore was the 1.3cc corrolla.  A resales with few years remaining. Since then 1.0 swift to vios all I had owned them for 10 years till scrape. Currently driving a vezel brought in 2016 shouldn't be any exception I reckon. Abit old fashion. Hahaha

• Praise 1

Last time change car every 18 to 24 mths 

now car already 30mths old still driving....

hai times are bad lah, and will be getting worse.

conserve.....

5 hours ago, Kopites said:

16 vezel brought at 103k. Coe 42kplus. No loan and probably intend to drive till 10 years. A new car of the same make coming to 90k.

No worth I reckon. 😀

U bought a car without any loan meaning u paid up all upfront?  Can share how does it work? Bought from dealer or AD? Did they sell the car to u at a higher price knowing u not taking any loan? I was told they will psycho buyer to take up Loan coz that's where they earn commission from banks. If not, they will sell the car to u at a higher price? Is that true? 

5 hours ago, Vlsc said:

U bought a car without any loan meaning u paid up all upfront?  Can share how does it work? Bought from dealer or AD? Did they sell the car to u at a higher price knowing u not taking any loan? I was told they will psycho buyer to take up Loan coz that's where they earn commission from banks. If not, they will sell the car to u at a higher price? Is that true? 

Yes. My vios parf deduct 5 to 6k(can't remember). Upfront paid 25k deposit. 3 to 4 day before collection paid the balance. However did insist to sight the car before handing over the cashier order.  Took picture of the chassis. 3 days later collected the car.

Brought from PI. Kah yet to import HRV back then nor Uber started to use vezel.

The PI actually did try to persuade me switch to Harris (around130k) which was pretty new back then. Only recently launched in japan. However the height of Harris will pose a problem for my elders getting in and out.   wifey and me agreed to stick back to vezel (lower).😀

6 hours ago, Vlsc said:

You just newly joined so I presume you don't have much experiences dealing with PI. Do becareful and read up before committing.

My advice.

• Praise 4

8 hours ago, Throttle2 said:

Last time change car every 18 to 24 mths 

now car already 30mths old still driving....

hai times are bad lah, and will be getting worse.

conserve.....

Knew someone who change car frequently but he sank deeper now taking mrt☹️

• Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Kopites said:

You just newly joined so I presume you don't have much experiences dealing with PI. Do becareful and read up before committing.

My advice.

Good advice, esp now that times are so bad... i predict many PIs will not last the distance, so need to be real discerning...

• Praise 3

my COE was $79.3k in apr 2014 though i got some $3K coe offset for Lexus ES and OMV of 35.5K  and PARF of $20.7 K  and car is running perfectly (though very  low  mileage)  

• Praise 2

2 hours ago, Kopites said:

My advice.

to  @Vlsc , bro @Kopites has pointed out rightly, and be careful before you put your money with a PI, make sure it is a proven and reliable one so that you wont end up losing your hard earned money.  Not all PIs are risky to deal with but there are more bad than good, and the main problem is you dont know who you are dealing with, so be very careful. If you have no to little experience, better buy from AD. and usually AD would not need you to pay more if you pay full cash upfront.

• Praise 1

On 6/28/2020 at 10:36 AM, Ironstarz said:

If you have a car that’s fully paid for , would you drive till 10 years is up or maybe change at 9th year etc ? 

You ask this because you have a car that you're eyeing? If so, then go for it. No need to calculate till the cows come home or ask for opinion. Buying cars in SG makes no financial sense anyway, it's an indulgence for most of us in MCF.

I was once in your shoes too, I bought the other car first and keep my 9 year old car till 10 years till my neighbor help me export it (I got more cash out of the body by exporting instead of scrap).

Dealers only offer scrap value. Tried to sell direct but offers that came in only gave me like a few K above scrap. 

But if you're buying from premium car makes, trading in your 9 yr old car might make more sense, see how u nego with the SE.

12 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

Lol, it's a never ending itch for a car change.. But in times like this, looking to change to a ride that depreciate less may be a good idea.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1