kia_carnival_71_04670273080e05fb.jpg

kia_carnival_504_0267028b086905b7.jpg

kia_carnival_22_0272023b096f066e.jpg

kia_carnival_1_6.jpg

kia_carnival_33.jpg

kia_carnival_93.jpg

kia_carnival_66.jpg

kia_carnival_332.jpg

The new model is being described by Kia as a “Grand Utility Vehicle” courtesy of an exterior design that takes after sport utility vehicles to bank on the huge demand the segment is enjoying. It’s larger than before, with overall length increasing by 40 mm to 5155 mm while the wheelbase has been stretched by 30 mm to 3090 mm.

To make the cabin even roomier than before, the body’s width has been extended by 10 mm to 1995 mm while the rear overhang is 30 mm longer, at 1130 mm, for more third-row space and greater cargo volume. The increased footprint comes along with a newly developed platform and a choice between three and four rows of seats. Depending on the market, the Carnival will be available with seven, eight, or 11 seats.

The interior has practically nothing in common with the previous generation as Kia has gone to great lengths to develop a far more sophisticated cabin. Obvious changes include the adoption of a 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster and a touchscreen of the same size, along with reworked climate controls and the adoption of upscale materials throughout the interior.

Then there are the changes underneath the skin, with Kia saying the fully independent suspension has lowered the noise, vibration, and harshness while increasing comfort. Further lowering NVH levels of the minivan is the greater adoption of sound-deadening material, a full underbody cover, and additional insulation between the engine bay and cabin.

Since we mentioned engines, underneath the hood you’ll find a direct-injection 3.5-liter V6 GDI serving as the range-topping powertrain with 290 hp and 355 Nm. A multiport-injection engine (MPI) with the same displacement packs 268 hp and 332 Nm. There’s also a newly developed 2.2-liter four-cylinder diesel producing a healthy 200 hp and 440 Nm. All three are hooked up as standard to an eight-speed automatic transmission.

Another significant change over the previous-gen Carnival / Sedona is the new column-mounted motor-driven power steering serving as a replacement of the old hydraulic power steering system. Not only is the steering response more direct now, but the steering ratio is 5.6 percent quicker than before and allows Kia to integrate new driver assistance systems. It has everything from lane-keeping assist and blind-spot to forward collision-avoidance assist with car, cyclist, and pedestrian detection.

A semi-autonomous Level 2 driving system is also on board, along with Safe Exit Assist that prevents the power-sliding rear doors from opening if it detects a car is approaching from behind. In a worst-case scenario, following a crash, automatic braking is activated to diminish the severity of a possible second impact.

Kia will have the Carnival on sale in South Korea starting with the third quarter of the year, with additional markets to follow.

Wow!!! Sounds absolutely brilliant! Just what I need...

On 8/21/2020 at 6:00 PM, Carbon82 said:

Officially unveiled in Korea.

kia_carnival_25_0159000011980be6.jpg

kia_carnival_61_028c000011fa0db0.jpg

kia_carnival_801.jpg

kia_carnival_71_04670273080e05fb.jpg

kia_carnival_504_0267028b086905b7.jpg

kia_carnival_22_0272023b096f066e.jpg

kia_carnival_1_6.jpg

kia_carnival_33.jpg

kia_carnival_93.jpg

kia_carnival_66.jpg

kia_carnival_332.jpg

The new model is being described by Kia as a “Grand Utility Vehicle” courtesy of an exterior design that takes after sport utility vehicles to bank on the huge demand the segment is enjoying. It’s larger than before, with overall length increasing by 40 mm to 5155 mm while the wheelbase has been stretched by 30 mm to 3090 mm.

To make the cabin even roomier than before, the body’s width has been extended by 10 mm to 1995 mm while the rear overhang is 30 mm longer, at 1130 mm, for more third-row space and greater cargo volume. The increased footprint comes along with a newly developed platform and a choice between three and four rows of seats. Depending on the market, the Carnival will be available with seven, eight, or 11 seats.

The interior has practically nothing in common with the previous generation as Kia has gone to great lengths to develop a far more sophisticated cabin. Obvious changes include the adoption of a 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster and a touchscreen of the same size, along with reworked climate controls and the adoption of upscale materials throughout the interior.

Then there are the changes underneath the skin, with Kia saying the fully independent suspension has lowered the noise, vibration, and harshness while increasing comfort. Further lowering NVH levels of the minivan is the greater adoption of sound-deadening material, a full underbody cover, and additional insulation between the engine bay and cabin.

Since we mentioned engines, underneath the hood you’ll find a direct-injection 3.5-liter V6 GDI serving as the range-topping powertrain with 290 hp and 355 Nm. A multiport-injection engine (MPI) with the same displacement packs 268 hp and 332 Nm. There’s also a newly developed 2.2-liter four-cylinder diesel producing a healthy 200 hp and 440 Nm. All three are hooked up as standard to an eight-speed automatic transmission.

Another significant change over the previous-gen Carnival / Sedona is the new column-mounted motor-driven power steering serving as a replacement of the old hydraulic power steering system. Not only is the steering response more direct now, but the steering ratio is 5.6 percent quicker than before and allows Kia to integrate new driver assistance systems. It has everything from lane-keeping assist and blind-spot to forward collision-avoidance assist with car, cyclist, and pedestrian detection.

A semi-autonomous Level 2 driving system is also on board, along with Safe Exit Assist that prevents the power-sliding rear doors from opening if it detects a car is approaching from behind. In a worst-case scenario, following a crash, automatic braking is activated to diminish the severity of a possible second impact.

Kia will have the Carnival on sale in South Korea starting with the third quarter of the year, with additional markets to follow.

At 5.15m long and 2m wide, it is definitely too huge for most of Singapore parking lots. I can foresee many owners having fun trying to park the car in malls and not able to open the door sufficiently wide to digress and ingress. My previous Vellfire already not easy to maneuver and it is only 4.9m long and about 1.85m wide. Most of HDB parking lots will not have enough space for driver and passengers to ingress or digress elegantly if there are cars on both side of the lot.

On 8/23/2020 at 9:43 PM, Heartlander said:

At 5.15m long and 2m wide, it is definitely too huge for most of Singapore parking lots. I can foresee many owners having fun trying to park the car in malls and not able to open the door sufficiently wide to digress and ingress. My previous Vellfire already not easy to maneuver and it is only 4.9m long and about 1.85m wide. Most of HDB parking lots will not have enough space for driver and passengers to ingress or digress elegantly if there are cars on both side of the lot.

I think you meant egress... I wonder if it's too tall for our multi-storey car park...

1 hour ago, Cheefarn said:

From the article

How much will it cost?

The first-gen Carnival MPV was last sold in Singapore in 2008 – 12 years or two car life-cycles ago. Since there is no price comparison to the previous model, it’s difficult to say.

Our super ball-parky guess is around S$140,000 to S$150,000 with COE. However in Australia, a current Kia Carnival diesel 8-seater costs A$45,000, or roughly twice as much as a Cerato 2.0 (approx. A$23,000) and is a little cheaper than a Stinger 2.0 non-GT Line S$52,000. In Singapore, the Stinger 2.0 costs roughly twice (S$162,999 with COE) as much as a Cerato 1.6 (Anniversary Edition, S$82,999 with COE). 

I will seriously consider changing my Sorento for this if it is priced below 170K.

• Praise 2

3 hours ago, Hamburger said:

This kind of rekindled my preference for mpv, cos it look more like a suv than mpv!!

The kind of US huge suv used government agencies. 

You mean those huge Lincoln or Chevrolet SUVs? Yeah a bit... but I think not as tall and boxy? This seems a bit more elongated from the photos but I get the US govt SUV look you get from the movies... ha ha...

Edited by teomingern
  • Praise 1

On 9/6/2020 at 12:55 PM, teomingern said:

My guess is around $160K.... expensive but rightly so if it isn't stripped down...

I would be very crossed if they stripped off many of the features.

Edited by Eviltrap

On 9/9/2020 at 10:53 AM, Fat_slayer said:

In Australia, the Grand Carnival (mid spec) cost more than the Honda Odyssey. 

So my estimation is about $15K more on top of the Ody price excluding VES if applicable.

Not likely to have VES with a powerful engine like a 2.5 L turbo or 3.5 L NA?

On 8/23/2020 at 9:43 PM, Heartlander said:

haha yeah. My car is 4.95m and 1.84+m wide.

With a width of 1.98m, for 80-90% of carparks, it's simply isn't possible to open the doors most of the time.  [laugh]
Even a 7 series is only 190cm.
Pple who want to drive it here are bit bonkers.

Edited by Lala81

3 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

haha yeah. My car is 4.95m and 1.84+m wide.

With a width of 1.98m, for 80-90% of carparks, it's simply isn't possible to open the doors most of the time.  [laugh]
Even a 7 series is only 190cm.
Pple who want to drive it here are bit bonkers.

What car? S90?

10 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

my ah pek honda lor [laugh]

Well your Superb is 1864 mm wide also

Haha but find my superb quite narrow not that wide. Maybe my comparison was to 7er lol

but ur car dimension is considered long. Longer than mine🤭😄😌

↡ Advertisement