Cars stored for long duration ok to buy?

LGmonitor

Finally find this place to post my "Questions" as a newbie.

I am considering to buy my first car, and after visiting some of the showrooms,  finally I found one model of a Japanese brand, of which the specifications and price are both acceptable.

The only issue is that the car has been stored for less than one year since it was produced.  I am wondering whether any negative impact on the quality of the car after such a long storage period, and what is the so called "acceptable storage duration" in the local market and what will can we do when we are going to buy such a car.

Thank you very much for every brothers/sisters suggestions. 

↡ Advertisement

U buying from AD or PI?

stored for a yr certainly not an issue, problem is will they check everything carefully before passing the car to you? if they did/change whatever it should, no issue.

No issue at all. But if you want to play it safe, have the dealer write down in the order form that they will replace all 4 tires, replace the factory filled engine oil before passing the car to you. And on delivery day, make sure these replacements are done by checking the replaced parts carefully

The tires DOM should not be older than end of 2019 for example.

My current car was stored in their showroom for almost 3 yrs before I picked it up .... no issues la

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Really depends on where and how it was stored. No problem one la. What can we do about it anyway, since cars usually spend a few months on the sea, then stored again at least a few months here. You see the year of manufacture, you know liao. Most people are impatient, cannot wait few months for factory to make and ship, want ready stock, so dealers just import in bulk.

If it is an AD car, usually they got sub-con out these long term car storage to logistics providers, where they got take quite a lot of protective measures (enclosed warehouse, protective wrapping all around car, etc). I know cos i was working in such a company before. It will look something like this pic from Google. I can't show real pics, cos sensitive. Note the protection on the metallic body parts and the swee swee warehouse conditions. Minimal dust.

If PI car, then really depends on the individual PI liao... not to say PI no good, but some PIs are more cash strapped, and long term car storage is a cost, so corners may be cut.

What's more important is the pre-delivery checks that is done, where they should check everything working, check engine oil levels, tyre pressures, remove suspension delivery blocks, etc.

Warehouse_CQR_Tuushin-1024x554.png

One year is normal and fine. Can safely buy.

But if it is 3 years, its unusual, and probably because the model or colour or specification or price is not desirable to buyers. In the motor trade, these are referred to as "diao du" stock.

You should only buy these if there is a really hefty discount off the normal price. Dealer/buyers will also be able to spot the 3-year difference between Year of Manufacture (YOM) and date of registration. They will probably not buy or lowball you when you want to flog it off years later. 

Do check for deteriorated paintwork, discoloured/shrivelled trim pieces made of rubber/plastics/metal trimmings, and rats could chew on under-bonnet stuff such as wirings. Oh, and out-of-round tyres too!

• Praise 3

Supersonic

Look many bros have suggested, 1 year is not a problem, the  more important question is why the car  being stored for 1 year ? Unless it is an exotic car, any other mainstream car should have  been sold quite fast, no ADs or PIs would want to hold stock for too long. 

(edited)
On 6/30/2020 at 1:23 PM, LGmonitor said:

I am considering to buy my first car, and after visiting some of the showrooms,  finally I found one model of a Japanese brand, of which the specifications and price are both acceptable.

The only issue is that the car has been stored for less than one year since it was produced.  I am wondering whether any negative impact on the quality of the car after such a long storage period, and what is the so called "acceptable storage duration" in the local market and what will can we do when we are going to buy such a car.

No problem one. My previous ride is manufactured on Dec 23rd 2006 and registered in Jan 2008, a Kia Carens. I think C&C let it bake under the Sun too....

My current ride is ALSO a Kia Carens Manufactured in Sept 2017 and Registered on Nov 2017.  No problem to date too....

Edited by Apple-Tree

Supersonic

1 year not uncommon. I'm guessing Suzuki?

Turbocharged
(edited)

How cars are stored depends on the distributors. 

You head to C&C Alexandra showroom, on the top floor, exposed to the sun are where they store their Mitsubishi Attrage and Outlander.

New Toyotas are parked in the open at West Coast. Head to Turf City and you will see many brand new unregistered PI cars left in the open.

Most distributors give a discount for cars manufactured the previous year.

Anyway, cars have a 10 yr lifespan in Singapore and there's a 5 year warranty, so there is no cause for concern.

New cars parked at the port - 
image.png.615bc0d65a56894f1d21d5849f5b9ee3.png

Edited by Vinceng
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic

PI Honda?

:grin:

Didnt expect so many warm and helpful replies.

so I will confirm the car this weekend.

Thank you very much, brothers and sisters

• Praise 1

On 7/1/2020 at 9:46 AM, ToyotaShuttle said:

depends where it was stored. out in the sun? shaded warehouse?

According to their salesperson, the car is stored in an warehouse, the photos look OK.

On 7/1/2020 at 9:47 AM, Sdf4786k said:

most likely flat spot ?

Need check carefully when collecting the car

On 7/1/2020 at 10:17 AM, Dannnn said:

U buying from AD or PI?

stored for a yr certainly not an issue, problem is will they check everything carefully before passing the car to you? if they did/change whatever it should, no issue.

From the local AD, and according to the salesperson, the cars are being taken care, and they will change the engine oil before collecting the car

On 7/1/2020 at 10:41 AM, Cheefarn said:

No issue at all. But if you want to play it safe, have the dealer write down in the order form that they will replace all 4 tires, replace the factory filled engine oil before passing the car to you. And on delivery day, make sure these replacements are done by checking the replaced parts carefully

The tires DOM should not be older than end of 2019 for example.

My current car was stored in their showroom for almost 3 yrs before I picked it up .... no issues la

Thanks for the suggestion, will check with the salesperson again, although I dont think they will agree to change the tyres. He mentioned the engine oil will be changed before collection.

↡ Advertisement