Cars stored for long duration ok to buy?

LGmonitor

4 hours ago, fatmond said:

Which will you pick?

1) registered in sg jan 2020 with 17k omv

2) registered in sg april 2020 with 16k omv

3 hours ago, fatmond said:

Assuming same price and package (from same dealer)

Beside OMV, there are many other points you should also consider. 

1) What are the causes for variation in OMV? Spec, trim, rim, additional features, model year, etc.

2) Are they of the same colour (exterior and interior) and materials (e.g. leather, dadh/door trim)? 

3) Exactly the same engine / gearbox with same VES banding? Same performance and handling?

4) Conditions of the car (if you can see and feel it physically), especially for demo or display units. 

If really everything are exactly the same, than it is up to you to decide if the $500 (or lesser) different in PARF mean anything to your finance or for that matter, the perceived value of your new ride.

Unless the seller is ready to pen down the exact OMV, else $17K maybe $16.5K to $17.4K, while $16K maybe closer to $16.5K in actual, so don't be fooled by the numbers. Get the car you like best is what matter. 

• Praise 9

4 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

Beside OMV, there are many other points you should also consider. 

1) What are the causes for variation in OMV? Spec, trim, rim, additional features, model year, etc.

2) Are they of the same colour (exterior and interior) and materials (e.g. leather, dadh/door trim)? 

3) Exactly the same engine / gearbox with same VES banding? Same performance and handling?

4) Conditions of the car (if you can see and feel it physically), especially for demo or display units. 

If really everything are exactly the same, than it is up to you to decide if the $500 (or lesser) different in PARF mean anything to your finance or for that matter, the perceived value of your new ride.

Unless the seller is ready to pen down the exact OMV, else $17K maybe $16.5K to $17.4K, while $16K maybe closer to $16.5K in actual, so don't be fooled by the numbers. Get the car you like best is what matter. 

It's a new car, everything is exactly the same, they have 2 ready stock

22 minutes ago, fatmond said:

if the only difference is date and OMV, i'll go for the April 2020 one, I doubt the $1k diff in OMV translates into a big difference in PARF.

I am also assuming the COE difference is also not significant. 

• Praise 1

7 hours ago, fatmond said:

Which will you pick?

1) registered in sg jan 2020 with 17k omv

2) registered in sg april 2020 with 16k omv

23 minutes ago, fatmond said:

You mentioned they are registered, mean with COE right? so there's a 3 months gap between the 2.

COE value the same? If same or negligible I will take the April registered car. The OMV gap between the 2 gets insignificant towards the end.

• Praise 2

33 minutes ago, fatmond said:

If everything is the same, then the  cause is likely due to currency fluctuation.  

51 minutes ago, Ody_2004 said:

You mentioned they are registered, mean with COE right? so there's a 3 months gap between the 2.

COE value the same? If same or negligible I will take the April registered car. The OMV gap between the 2 gets insignificant towards the end.

The document the SE shown me there's a registered date, i believe its when the vehicle is registered for clearance in Singapore

6 hours ago, yellowshaun said:

Semms like it's the norm to store new cars under the sun and rain, in the open, so which AD stores their car under shelter ah?

Only very Expensive Cars opt for Sheltered Storage...because it costed twice the Fees.

32 minutes ago, fatmond said:

The document the SE shown me there's a registered date, i believe its when the vehicle is registered for clearance in Singapore

My bad, just checked, it's vitas submission date and not registered date

1) submitted on jan 2020 with 1k higher omv and 2) submitted on apr 2020

I will go for Jan one, psychologically it feel good for the extra $1K OMV.

oh ya, donkey years back, the car I bought was in the warehouse for almost 2 years. few months later, the AD closed shop.🙂

• Shocked 1

10 hours ago, yellowshaun said:

Semms like it's the norm to store new cars under the sun and rain, in the open, so which AD stores their car under shelter ah?

Lamborghini and Maserati.

lambo.jpg

maserati.jpg

50 minutes ago, Jp66 said:

oh ya, donkey years back, the car I bought was in the warehouse for almost 2 years. few months later, the AD closed shop.🙂

Let me guess - Chevrolet, Geely, Chery, Chana, Hafei, Wuling, or Proton ?

Edited by Vinceng

51 minutes ago, Vinceng said:

Let me guess - Chevrolet, Geely, Chery, Chana, Hafei, Wuling, or Proton ?

Rover 416 in 1998. Can't recall the AD name, it was a GLC before Rover Singapore 😀

• Praise 1

12 hours ago, Jp66 said:

Noob question, will there be issue with the engine oil? I doubt they change EO for vehicle in the warehouse/storage area

4 hours ago, fatmond said:

Noob question, will there be issue with the engine oil? I doubt they change EO for vehicle in the warehouse/storage area

does your package come with servicing included ?

if so then just utilise one servicing if you have EO concerns.

↡ Advertisement