10 "handbrake" designs and locations that are most unusual

Internal Moderator

10 handbrake designs and locations that are most unusual

source: https://uk.motor1.com/features/432392/10-unusual-handbrake-designs/

Hn640vv.png

Sometimes, a simple manual lever just doesn't cut it.

You might be familiar with a well-known phrase that says necessity is the mother of invention. Laws necessitate that automobiles must have some kind of handbrake – whether it's called a parking brake or an emergency brake – and it's often a simple, manually actuated handle located in a vehicle's centre console. Pulling up the handle operates a cable that activates the rear brakes, thus holding the rear wheels in place.

That said, creativity is the father of invention, and for reasons that sometimes aren't clear, designers will ditch the simple method of handbrake functionality. The persistent march of technology means we're seeing more electronic handbrakes these days, but whether it's innovative, or clever, or just plain crazy, there plenty of vehicles that nix the simple handbrake concept for something different.

This slideshow takes a look at some specific vehicles with out-of-the-ordinary handbrakes, but it also showcases styles and locations that appear on many other models. With that said, jump into the slideshow to see some familiar and unfamiliar ways in which automakers keep cars from moving.

JLWo1xg.png

The Foot Brake

This design isn't unusual at all for Americans, as foot-actuated parking brakes have been common on U.S. vehicles for decades. As seen here on a Toyota Sienna, most foot brakes are simply pressed down into position, then released either with a separate handle, or by pressing the brake lever a second time.

Og4fkXz.png

Electronic Dials And Buttons

Similar to foot pedals, electronic brakes are becoming more common in modern automobiles – much to the bane of enthusiastic drivers wanting to execute neat handbrake turns. Electronic brakes can be anything from a simple toggle switch on the centre console, to basic buttons like one featured here on a Chrysler Pacifica.

7XXug6T.png

Single Modern Paddle

We're seeing more automakers swapping the basic handle for something more like a paddle or an animal paw. This palm-friendly brake from the Citroen C4 Aircross is mounted in the traditional location at the centre console, but features a button underneath the large handle to release the brake.

9hMutXJ.png

On The Steering Column

Here's Tesla's take on the electronic brake. Instead of a button or a small lever in the console or dash, it's simply part of the car's column-mounted gear selector switch.

5QFSdDQ.png

On The Wrong Side

Handbrake placement near the door instead of the centre console is rare. Perhaps best known on the Porsche 944 or Jaguar XJS (pictured here), the location offers a cleaner centre console but can be problematic for drivers wanting to exit the vehicle with the lever engaged.

foRkXli.png

Aircraft Throttle: Part One

Mixing aircraft design themes with cars certainly isn't new, and hey, who doesn't want to feel like a fighter pilot behind the wheel? Several vehicles have offered interesting handbrakes that mimic the throttle quadrant of a jet aircraft; the Pontiac Sunbird was famous for this in the 1980s. But the first-generation Ford S-Max MPV featured here continues that theme many years later.

lhD5gzK.png

Aircraft Throttle: Part Two

Not all jet throttles have two levers, and frankly, we also love the quirky Subaru SVX too much to not give it a slide all its own. Mixing the previously seen paddle theme with a throttle-style design, the Subie's handbrake is still one of the coolest of all time.

CXAwMMh.png

In The Dash: Part One

Dash-mounted parking brakes of the non-electronic variety are actually found in a range of vehicles. There are some noteworthy styles that we'll look at individually, starting with the pull-and-twist type seen here in an older Toyota Hilux.

sYs5TX5.png

In The Dash: Part Two

The tiny Renault Twizy EV runabout would be a perfect candidate for an electronic brake, but that consumes electricity. The solution was a manually operated brake mounted low on the dash that operates with an awkward pull/depress action.

KaBeOhi.png

In The Dash: Part Three

Lastly, we arrive at what could be the weirdest parking brake of them all. Naturally, it comes from Citroen, specifically, the GS offered through the 1970s and 1980s. It's another in-dash design but instead of making it a subtle feature, it's mounted prominently in the centre of the dashboard where you'd expect to find a radio. Pull the large handle out to set the brake, and release it by pressing a button.

I think handbrakes should be a standardise design among car designer. Like how all the seatbelt and seatbelt clip is. These are safety equipment, driver should react fast enough during emergency. But then again, nowadays the mordern car is very well equipped.

Can you imagine you give a pilot to drive the Subaru SVX, I scare he got occupational hazard. 🤣

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

Internal Moderator
2 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

I hate the handbrake button on the dash. Need to stretch my arm to use it. 

Ends up I never use it in the Volvo. 

Huh. Then you never "pull handbrake" one? hahaha.

(edited)

I hated the foot parking brake. The brake release is located near the driver's side of the aircon vent that you have to pull to release. Stupidest design. It was also in the late 90s E class and mid 2000 Honda Odyssey.

For Citroen I think the hydraulic suspension adjustment is in the way that's why they had to redesign and relocate the parking brake.

So is the older Hilux truck with the 4WD lever in the way.

The older Defender models during NS has a joystick looking parking brake.

Now that the parking brake has moved from a traditional mechanical feature to a electronic feature it takes up less surface area in the car. Save space. Dont even need to press the physical button now to lock/release. Totally auto, so convenient. 

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
10 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

I hated the foot parking brake. The brake release is located near the driver's side of the aircon vent that you have to pull to release. Stupidest design. It was also in the late 90s E class and mid 2000 Honda Odyssey.

For Citroen I think the hydraulic suspension adjustment is in the way that's why they had to redesign and relocate the parking brake.

Now that the parking brake has moved from a traditional mechanical feature to a electronic feature it takes up less surface area in the car. Save space. Dont even need to press the physical button now to lock/release. Totally auto, so convenient. 

But the modern car cannot do handbrake turns. hhahaha.

• Haha! 2

Twincharged
1 hour ago, Watwheels said:

first gen of drift braking ..

23 minutes ago, Inlinefour said:

Need a standard handbrake to do 飘移 while delivering my tofu 😂😂😂

that 1 didnt use hand brake leh😁

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
40 minutes ago, Inlinefour said:

Need a standard handbrake to do 飘移 while delivering my tofu 😂😂😂

I tot you 吃tofu only? Now also got deliver liao arh? hahahah.

• Haha! 2

1 hour ago, kobayashiGT said:

I tot you 吃tofu only? Now also got deliver liao arh? hahahah.

mine freelance grab tofu 😍😍😍

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, Inlinefour said:

mine freelance grab tofu 😍😍😍

Oh. where to sign up arh? I also wanna grab some!!!!

• Haha! 1

22 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Oh. where to sign up arh? I also wanna grab some!!!!

shhhh....pls dun let pussy outta panty....will DM you :inlove::yeah-im-not-drunk:

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

i only know france car hand brake alway in weird position or design.

my neighbour diesel megan just tow early this year for handbrake issue, cannot release no matter what. do a 4 wheel towing to ad😑

• Shocked 1

Internal Moderator
13 minutes ago, Beregond said:

i only know france car hand brake alway in weird position or design.

my neighbour diesel megan just tow early this year for handbrake issue, cannot release no matter what. do a 4 wheel towing to ad😑

The piston jam arh? haha.

Supercharged

I was doing some part time delivery job while waiting for my army enlistment letter. The rental van had a pull out & twist hand brake similar to the Toyota Hilux. 1st time I tried to engage it, BLOODY HELL whole stick came out! Really jaw dropped. After that episode, I just use 1st gear when I park that van. :lll._.:

• Haha! 1

Twincharged

The Tesla Gear Selector is direct from Mercedes Benz Parts Bin,so the ''P'', i wonder is using Gearbox to stop the Car or have additional brake caliper to do the Job.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1