Toyota Corolla Cross

Stratovarius

18 hours ago, Stratovarius said:

One thing that puzzles me is why the 1.8 litre hybrid produces so little power?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.motor1.com/news/433020/toyota-corolla-cross/amp/

"On the other hand, a hybrid powertrain option is available, with a 600-volt electric motor supplementing the setup with 72 hp (54 kW) and 120 lb-ft (163 Nm) of twists. The electric motor works in conjunction with a 1.8-liter 2ZR-FXE mill that makes 98 hp (73 kW) and 105 lb-ft (142 Nm) of pull. The hybrid Corolla Cross comes with Toyota's e-CVT."

This is the same hybrid engine on the CHR right?

It is normal for Atkinson cycle to produce lower power.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

CHR too cramp, RAV4 no USP

This will sell well around the $110-120k price range. Big enuf, cheap enuf, looks decent enuf, trusty badge, practical package that's not trying too hard

• Praise 1

7 minutes ago, Soya said:

CHR too cramp, RAV4 no USP

This will sell well around the $110-120k price range. Big enuf, cheap enuf, looks decent enuf, trusty badge, practical package that's not trying too hard

With its 1.8L, the price will be around RAV4.

BM needs to remove RAV4 from the lineup before it can move this car.

11 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

The corolla cross is using TNGA platform. Impressive.

All new Toyota model uses TNGA la.

Both C-HR and Corolla Cross use the same mid size FWD platform

Supersonic
(edited)
2 hours ago, inlinesix said:

With its 1.8L, the price will be around RAV4.

BM needs to remove RAV4 from the lineup before it can move this car.

Yalor. Who buys the Rav4 anyway? Pricey and nothing special. If someone wants a jap 5-seater AWD SUV that's capable and safe, just buy the Forester. Cheaper somemore

And Rav4 oso fail moose test

Edited by Soya
  • Praise 3

7 hours ago, Dafansu said:

Take a look a this video. Can find alot more online, all uploaded yesterday. 

Looks good. But I doubt Borneo will be bringing this in. 

Why cannibalize the CHR and RAV4 sales? 

Twincharged
(edited)
23 minutes ago, noobcarbuyer said:

Looks good. But I doubt Borneo will be bringing this in. 

Why cannibalize the CHR and RAV4 sales? 

CHR 1.2T isn’t selling well. Majority on the roads are PI hybrid units. 
I would guess the Corolla cross will be saddled with a 1.6 and replace the chr 1.2t. 
for one, the looks of the Corolla cross is less polarizing. Would think it would attract wider acceptance. 

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 4

On 7/10/2020 at 1:16 PM, Soya said:

Yalor. Who buys the Rav4 anyway? Pricey and nothing special. If someone wants a jap 5-seater AWD SUV that's capable and safe, just buy the Forester. Cheaper somemore

And Rav4 oso fail moose test

The RAV4 now passes with a SW update

In terms of looks, I like the RAV4 over Forester. The front end got abit of Tacoma look, which I dig. 

• Praise 1

(edited)
3 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

Is it just me but the front look like a up size Sienta. 

toyota_corolla_cross_05a2017f0eee0b38.jp

toyota_sienta_funbase_x_01d4000009940734

there are similarities in the design language but vastly different in their body shape, e.g side body arcs, shape of front lights, a more muscular body

this isn't the first time a car brand has similar fronts and grilles, like the Kias and audis.

overall the cross looks more sporty and proportional than the sienta.

Edited by Invigorated
  • Praise 4

On 7/9/2020 at 3:09 PM, Stratovarius said:

One thing that puzzles me is why the 1.8 litre hybrid produces so little power?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.motor1.com/news/433020/toyota-corolla-cross/amp/

"On the other hand, a hybrid powertrain option is available, with a 600-volt electric motor supplementing the setup with 72 hp (54 kW) and 120 lb-ft (163 Nm) of twists. The electric motor works in conjunction with a 1.8-liter 2ZR-FXE mill that makes 98 hp (73 kW) and 105 lb-ft (142 Nm) of pull. The hybrid Corolla Cross comes with Toyota's e-CVT."

This is the same hybrid engine on the CHR right?

I'm guessing its because the 2ZR-FXE is an Atkinson cycle engine, not the usual Otto cycle. By the difference from the combustion process alone, the 2ZR-FXE is biased towards fuel economy and not power. 

C-HR 1.8 hybrid is fundamentally the same 2ZR-FXE engine. But on PI versions brought into SG, its rated at 122 hp instead of 98 hp. My logical guess is that the PI versions are Japanese Domestic Market vehicles typically rated on 100 RON petrol which is commonly available in Japan, thus the higher hp rating. Elsewhere around the world, 95 / 98 RON are more common, which leads to the lower hp rating. 

• Praise 2

16 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

I'm guessing its because the 2ZR-FXE is an Atkinson cycle engine, not the usual Otto cycle. By the difference from the combustion process alone, the 2ZR-FXE is biased towards fuel economy and not power. 

C-HR 1.8 hybrid is fundamentally the same 2ZR-FXE engine. But on PI versions brought into SG, its rated at 122 hp instead of 98 hp. My logical guess is that the PI versions are Japanese Domestic Market vehicles typically rated on 100 RON petrol which is commonly available in Japan, thus the higher hp rating. Elsewhere around the world, 95 / 98 RON are more common, which leads to the lower hp rating. 

Thanks. Ya I know aks engine has less hp but @ 98bhp it seems really low for a 1.8 litre. Look at the new RAV4 prime, 2.5litre with 176hp which is more reasonable.

↡ Advertisement