Looking for a car on a tight budget

Shinylord

1 minute ago, Philipkee said:

Not really true. It also depends on how big is the household.

But yes it is expensive. Question for TS is that will in parents and in laws and spouse be chipping in? Or it's all TS? If it's all TS, best not to buy a car.  If the in laws/ parents/ spouse will sponsor the down payment plus chip in on and off for milk powder, can consider a new attrage or Perodua bezza.

That's the wrong way to buy a car imo

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

if really need a car can consider like me get a used perodua. those coed car, is just a car with nothing to shout about. My consideration is getting the cheapest available  with financial worries for breakdown (i changed the whole ac system , clutch plate, radiator and engine gasket after taking over for about 1k sgd). I hope it can last for the next 10 yrs (and the road tax wont be so expensive given it is a litre car).

Supersonic
12 hours ago, Shinylord said:

Hi , a newbie to this forum , mind i ask wat kind of car is gd for one hu havent have any experience in owning a car before but needed to rn as im expecting a newborn child soon and on a tight budget due to the economic. If this would help , my budget is ard 5xk. 

There are really practical advices given by the bros her. I hope u take these well and not feel like anyone is looking down on u.

Why is the car needed becos of a new member to the family? Seriously. The child has zero sense of what means of transport is used at all times. He/she just want to be fed and sleep all the time. 

If u factor in comfort for wifey, think she may surprise u that she rather have a good night rest than worrying about finances caused by upkeep of a car.

And u may think u can earn some to do part time grab etc. You need to factor in less rest/family time which may actually be more important than u thought.

Do not rush into wanting to do everything nice at once. Plan carefully and spend within your means. So important to be thrifty now and not allow the wants to overwhelm your priorities. Adapt and use the money to bring better, nicer food for all.

At times when transport is needed, consider grab/1 or 2 days rental type of arrangements.

We meant well ya.

Congrats on becoming a dad soon! Take care and keep well. 

Stay safe

Cheers

• Praise 8

42 minutes ago, Mockngbrd said:

Don't be stupid.  But hor, I say so much. I think you will still go buy and think you can do simi grab hitch to offset your car.  So I wish u all the best.

Ah no Grabhitch is limited to 2 trips per day, and Grab takes 10% of your earnings... total waste of time.

And pls don't bother registering your new/used cars as PHV hoping u can earn extra cash part time. You need to pay double the insurance premium 1st before u can earn your 1st $. And Grab takes 20% of your earning... And few people takes PHV these days due to the poor economy and WFH thing

(edited)
1 hour ago, kobayashiGT said:

If you just want 4 wheels and fuss free, maybe you can consider the Perodua Bezza.

Is priced at 55K now.

Downpayment - 20K?

Monthly - $500ish.

Engine is from Toyota/Daihatsu

For a sedan, it has ample boot space.

https://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/newcars_overview.php?CarCode=12007

Whoa, this offers manual(for the 1.0L). So rare.

But insurance for a newbie, this car is also not going to be affordable?

It's pretty decent as a first car on a budget.

Edited by Watwheels

(edited)

imho...

I would suggest 4 u to wait until e baby arrival and then re-evaluate ur financial position b4 taking e plunge. A new born is no cheap affair in sg and w nett 1.6k income (assuming no other addition/extra income source) it is gg to b tight. With e current economic situation, $$ in e bank, job security and less exposure to debt should b in ur thinking cards also.

BlueSG or those car share scheme should b in ur "think" list. If really wan to buy, i would suggest a 2nd hand or coe car to begin with.

Congratulations and welcome to e fatherhood club.

My 2 cents....

Edited by zipping
  • Praise 5

1 hour ago, Philipkee said:

Not really true. It also depends on how big is the household.

But yes it is expensive. Question for TS is that will in parents and in laws and spouse be chipping in? Or it's all TS? If it's all TS, best not to buy a car.  If the in laws/ parents/ spouse will sponsor the down payment plus chip in on and off for milk powder, can consider a new attrage or Perodua bezza.

I think TS has to get a 2nd job. Getting handouts from family isnt the way to have a car.

Wow , didnt expect to be getting so much advice from u guys here but after going throught all the comments and advice given , im able to have a better understanding of the amount and stress needed to support a car in sg due to the salary i having currently plus the part where i had to make my wifey worry about finances instead if having a good night rest and spending lesser time with my family just to cover the finance for a car , it make me have a stronger resolute to just spend the money and time i have on providing and able to bring back nicer food etc for my new family tat is coming instead of getting a car . 

Long story short , decided to listen to the advice sall u lovely guys have given me and spend whatever money and time i have in providing my family and incoming newborn child plus if really in need of transport , i could grab or rent a car as stated by one of u guys 

Finally , just wanna say a huge thanks to all u lovely guys for taking the time in commenting and stating ur advice and also a huge thanks to those that congrats me on my new fatherhood life 🙂 , feels so sureal that im becoming a father that i wanna just rush throught to make everything nice at once without stopping to think it throught properly 😅

Alrighty im just going to stop here , feels like im becoming an old uncle hu ranting alot 😓. To all of u guys here , take care and stay safe 🙂 

• Praise 23

@Shinylord most of us learnt through experiences and advices shared by fellow MCF members. Glad that you have given the purchase a serious thought and make your final choice.

It is now time to enjoy your fatherhood and most importantly, set a good example for your young one. Save whatever you can, so that you can provide more for him/her in times to come.

And before I sign off, congratulations and welcome to the forum. MCF is not just about cars, we can share about parenting experience as well as many other topics, cooking and selection of household appliances inclusive. :D

• Praise 11

Turbocharged
(edited)

@Shinylord,

Based on your monthly take home pay of $1,600 , advisable to go for 10 year COE cars, so that there is low outlay & minimal loss if you sell since these cars are near paper value. 3rd party insurance is cheaper than comprehensive insurance too.

Can you drive manual?

Kia Rio - $30K / dep $3,500/yr
https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=883114&DL=1000

If not, opt for this very spacious Nissan Latio, in automatic

Nissan Latio - $37K / dep $4,400/yr
https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=890951&DL=1368

Edited by Vinceng

1 minute ago, Vinceng said:

@Shinylord,

Based on your monthly take home pay of $1,600 , advisable to go for 10 year COE cars, so that there is low outlay & minimal loss if you sell since these cars are near paper value.

Can you drive manual?

Kia Rio - $30K dep $3,500/yr

If TS can go offpeak I dont see why he should buy COE cars.

Assuming he gets a car that depreciates for 5+k per year and converts it into opc, his net depre is 2.8k. That being said, other running costs are the same with exception of road tax of like $7 per month provided TS gets a 1.3L car and not a 1.6L or 2.0L car.

Although this route is cheaper, but TS must be cash rich to do so, which isnt quite the case here.

Road tax for COE cars can kill TS. A 1.6L is like 700+ to 1.1k in a span of 5 years, and 1.3L from 500+ to 800+.

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Mockngbrd said:

That's the wrong way to buy a car imo

1 hour ago, Watwheels said:

I think TS has to get a 2nd job. Getting handouts from family isnt the way to have a car.

My two cents is that if it's going to be for convenience for family, getting family to chip in might be the best way.  Cos unless TS is in a job that has high prospects or increment, getting a car would be very difficult now and in the years to come with his current pay.

A second job is not good cos it is a trade off between money and time with family.

I do agree the best alternative is still dont get a car.  

So it's up to TS to decide what is best for him and his family.

27 minutes ago, Vinceng said:

Based on your monthly take home pay of $1,600 , advisable to go for 10 year COE cars, so that there is low outlay & minimal loss if you sell since these cars are near paper value. 3rd party insurance is cheaper than comprehensive insurance too.

Can you drive manual?

Kia Rio - $30K / dep $3,500/yr

If not, opt for this very spacious Nissan Latio, in automatic

Nissan Latio - $37K / dep $4,400/yr
https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=890951&DL=1368

Running cost is the killer ......   cheap car , cheap insurance , later any thing happen , how to answer . 😶 better dont buy  

• Praise 4

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, Carbon82 said:

@Shinylord most of us learnt through experiences and advices shared by fellow MCF members. Glad that you have given the purchase a serious thought and make your final choice.

It is now time to enjoy your fatherhood and most importantly, set a good example for your young one. Save whatever you can, so that you can provide more for him/her in times to come.

And before I sign off, congratulations and welcome to the forum. MCF is not just about cars, we can share about parenting experience as well as many other topics, cooking and selection of household appliances inclusive. :D

Good sales pitch. Hahahahha.

• Haha! 3

Internal Moderator
43 minutes ago, Shinylord said:

Wow , didnt expect to be getting so much advice from u guys here but after going throught all the comments and advice given , im able to have a better understanding of the amount and stress needed to support a car in sg due to the salary i having currently plus the part where i had to make my wifey worry about finances instead if having a good night rest and spending lesser time with my family just to cover the finance for a car , it make me have a stronger resolute to just spend the money and time i have on providing and able to bring back nicer food etc for my new family tat is coming instead of getting a car . 

Long story short , decided to listen to the advice sall u lovely guys have given me and spend whatever money and time i have in providing my family and incoming newborn child plus if really in need of transport , i could grab or rent a car as stated by one of u guys 

Finally , just wanna say a huge thanks to all u lovely guys for taking the time in commenting and stating ur advice and also a huge thanks to those that congrats me on my new fatherhood life 🙂 , feels so sureal that im becoming a father that i wanna just rush throught to make everything nice at once without stopping to think it throught properly 😅

Alrighty im just going to stop here , feels like im becoming an old uncle hu ranting alot 😓. To all of u guys here , take care and stay safe 🙂 

Welcome to MCF! Not just myCarForum but myCovidForum as well!

• Haha! 3

Turbocharged
4 minutes ago, Angcheek said:

Running cost is the killer ......   cheap car , cheap insurance , later any thing happen , how to answer . 😶 better dont buy  

These are bread and butter cars with minimal electronics. These 5 speed manual and 4 speed auto gearboxes and other parts are very affordable.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1