Looking for a car on a tight budget

Shinylord

Just now, Vinceng said:

Cars are built to last beyond 10 years. In Singapore, there's the common perception that cars can't past beyond 10 years, with hefty repairs. 

Fact is, if you own a simple bread and butter Jap, Korean or Malaysian make, maintenance cost is affordable and those 4 speed auto are very hardy.

You can't expect a 10 yr old car to drive on without change of wear n tear parts

Yes is true but that Chap brought it resales. If he has brought it new i am sure can last 20 to 30 years. No knowledge of how previous owner(s) maintenance records my advice is to keep for another 5 years. The max.

↡ Advertisement

Hypersonic
17 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

It is good to have a thorough consideration before committing as a car is a big ticket item and it is going to drain the family finances heavily. 

Just starting a family, it is very basic to have at least 6 months reserve for rainy days. The present economic situation warrants it to be increased to at least one year! 

Hold the desire and start saving. Waiting for the opportune time to commit rather than doing something which one can ill afford.

My wife is one that hit due to Covid 19. She work in tourism industry and since Feb had been no income.

Now working in ntuc as part timer, she has seen other part timer from hotel, SIA steward in the same NTUC fairprice.

We know the pain. 

Lucky my job is still very stable.

• Praise 7

22 minutes ago, Tohto said:

My wife is one that hit due to Covid 19. She work in tourism industry and since Feb had been no income.

Now working in ntuc as part timer, she has seen other part timer from hotel, SIA steward in the same NTUC fairprice.

We know the pain. 

Lucky my job is still very stable.

Glad to know your job is stable. The fact that your wife is able to secure a part time job is also a blessing during this difficult time regardless the pay. 

• Praise 4

Hypersonic
15 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

Instead of buying car insurance, it's more imperative to buy child's insurance with hospitalization. 

The younger the cheaper the price.

44 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

Instead of buying car insurance, it's more imperative to buy child's insurance with hospitalization. 

Ah yes child hospitalization insurance , it slipped my mind 😅 , another issue to discuss with wifey, going to get killed for forgetting abt it

• Praise 3

(edited)
On 7/8/2020 at 8:31 PM, Fuelsaver said:

Just sharing my experience many yrs back. I managed to earn in excess of 3k before CPF deduction then. Got a Coe car for some 14k. Because of my spending habit, l'm left with very little every month even I'm single. But I need to work 6 days back then from 8-7. If you are taking back less than 2k, pls don't buy if you can bear with it. You will be taken aback by the "unforeseen" costs. Used car that is out of warranty coverage can be a time bomb. Many bros before me have given you the details so I shan't bore you further.

2k per month is still very low to own a car. Let me use some states here.

number of house hold  =1.37mil

Number of cars on the road =600k

Median  household income = 9.2k per month

Meaning, half the house hold earn more than 9.2k.  And less than half of the 1.37mil house hold are owning a car.

Assuming 2 pay cheques per house hold, that translates into 4.6k  per person per month, that average out to be about every 2 persons who earn 4.5k or more , only 1 would own a car. Those who earn below 4.5k, are below the median earning level, should try not to own a car, of course , there are exceptions,  some need a car for living, some need it for unique reasons, on the contrary, some rich one dont  even own a car. 

What I am sharing is in GENERAL........ in Singapore we always talk about generals...no generals no talk....😄😄😄

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

Turbocharged
On 7/7/2020 at 11:52 PM, Shinylord said:

Which used dealer might u suggest to get it from , been going through the forum seem like is hard to find a trusted one 😞

How much would the maintenance cost and if possible may i know roughly hw much will an insurance cost to owning such a car

Well im bringing a stable income of ard 1.6k after cpf deduct if that helps but yes gotta keep some spare for baby power, diapers etc 😅

sorry, but its def not the income to think about a car esp with your baby...

its not even stretched... its pretty impossible unless you eat bread daily, ur wife too, and baby drink condense milk mix with water

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Vegas said:

sorry, but its def not the income to think about a car esp with your baby...

its not even stretched... its pretty impossible unless you eat bread daily, ur wife too, and baby drink condense milk mix with water

Yes i agreed and decide not to have a car but either rent it or take a grab if any urgent situation arrives after reading throught all the comment and advise 🙂

• Praise 4

If the budget is tight, it is always better to rent first and supplement with driving PHV - lower upfront payment and long term financial commitment.

(edited)
On 7/8/2020 at 9:34 PM, Shoebox said:

TS, have you considered switching careers to be a grab driver?

Most Grab drivers earn more than your current salary even after deducting costs and rental, and they have a car of top of that. 

Driving PHV for a young man like TS is a dead end's job. 

He might have better long term prospect by holding down a stable job with benefits and opportunity to upskill.

Edited by Voodooman
  • Praise 4

On 7/10/2020 at 2:12 PM, Shinylord said:

Ah yes child hospitalization insurance , it slipped my mind 😅 , another issue to discuss with wifey, going to get killed for forgetting abt it

Have you explore what staff benefits you can enjoy? NSmen should have some benefits , if I am not wrong.

3 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

image.png.c6a5e3f5f060a02a911d7c726d72bd9e.png

image.png.6e2969e90b9365bc3de943952e703154.png

The upper one cannot pass lah! Imagine she id your mil watching her car go up in flames, she would be very  sad and shocked!🤣

• Haha! 1

2 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

The upper one cannot pass lah! Imagine she id your mil watching her car go up in flames, she would be very  sad and shocked!🤣

MIL trapped in car on fire.

:ph34r:

image.png.497681551f5e78082e8af9f8bcfa288e.png

On 7/13/2020 at 1:35 PM, Fitvip said:

Have you explore what staff benefits you can enjoy? NSmen should have some benefits , if I am not wrong.

Yes i did 🙂

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1