BMW 523i F10 Highline 10 Years COE Renewal

Hey guys, i'm contemplating whether to renew one of my company's BMW 523i F10 Highline. Below are some of the mods/upgrade i'm intending to do if i eventually get the car. Assuming the car is in 100% stock condition, i'd like some advice on the dos & don't from fellow tiong chia hia dis.

19" M sports Rims (What is the best tyre profile?)
Shock Absorbers/Suspensions
LCI Headlights ( The squarish headlights instead of the stock round ones.)
Keyless Entry + Electronic Push Button (Not sure whether it comes with it?)
M Sports Steering Wheel
Chip tuning (Increase Torque/Bhp. Understand from some friends need to change Air Intake or something like that.)
Quad Exhaust (LTA Friendly?)
Interior change to Maroon (Any Idea where can find for this 10 Year Old Bimmer)
Brembo Brake Kit (No idea what is 4 pot or 6 pot and which is sufficient)
Key FOB (Any idea if can use the latest gen G Series Keys to Sync on an F10 Key?)
Upgrade on display

I'm also intending to do my own servicing + changing of filters. Need some advice on the type of EO and Filters for better performance.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Before talk about mods, make sure fix up oil leak, harden rubber piping, engine/transmission mounting & tyre.

For engine oil, use 5w-30 with HTHS 3.5.

• Praise 4

5 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Can tune lah.

Change DISA and ECU to 525 version.

The gain is too little. Waste time waste money. 

Been there. Done that. Regret that. 

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 8

(edited)

The electronics for this BMW is "fantastic".

Basically leave your BMW stock cos the BMW engineers will not allow you to do any mods. Once you zhng it you will face a lot of issues. I think the above car could be having issues because somewhere has been modified by the previous owner or it could simply be just what it is .... a BMW.

Just look at the list of things he replaced and that includes the ECU. Might as well save the money for mods and get ready for parts replacements.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 3

Supercharged
39 minutes ago, TheCarDealer said:

Hey guys, i'm contemplating whether to renew one of my company's BMW 523i F10 Highline. Below are some of the mods/upgrade i'm intending to do if i eventually get the car. Assuming the car is in 100% stock condition, i'd like some advice on the dos & don't from fellow tiong chia hia dis.

19" M sports Rims (What is the best tyre profile?)
Shock Absorbers/Suspensions
LCI Headlights ( The squarish headlights instead of the stock round ones.)
Keyless Entry + Electronic Push Button (Not sure whether it comes with it?)
M Sports Steering Wheel
Chip tuning (Increase Torque/Bhp. Understand from some friends need to change Air Intake or something like that.)
Quad Exhaust (LTA Friendly?)
Interior change to Maroon (Any Idea where can find for this 10 Year Old Bimmer)
Brembo Brake Kit (No idea what is 4 pot or 6 pot and which is sufficient)
Key FOB (Any idea if can use the latest gen G Series Keys to Sync on an F10 Key?)
Upgrade on display

I'm also intending to do my own servicing + changing of filters. Need some advice on the type of EO and Filters for better performance.

Trying to service/replace all the failing parts (all suspension bushings, thermostat, engine mounts, radiator, coolant tank, shocks, fuel pump, water pump, engine oil leaks + many others) will already keep you very busy swiping your credit card.

I think you don't think of mods first.

• Praise 4

First and foremost, those parts listed for change are preventive maintenance that goes for many jap cars too. Change them and you will be rewarded with a smooth IL6 that a 4pot can never match. 

523 used n52b25 engine and is relatively robust and proven with the ZF6sp GB that's also reliable. 

Spare parts are plentify and cheap. 

• Praise 4

I am also driving a 10 yr old F10, just get a reputable workshop to fix all the oil leaks & suspension issues, mine had all the swing arms replaced and leaks around the oil pan fixed plus all those leaky rubber hosing for radiator replaced etc... basically all the rubber n plastic parts in the engine bay has to go if its already 10 yrs or more, next up to fix is those sticky buttons in the interior which you can purchase via Taobao cheaply... 

• Praise 3

If you intend to replace the existing shocks, it makes perfect sense to opt for aftermarket suspension. Something like KW street comfort coilovers and change out the rubber bushings at 1 go. 

• Praise 2

Best is to fix-up all the issues (minor/major) before thinking to mod. All this issues will costs you 5-10K easily 

Turbocharged
5 hours ago, Watwheels said:

The electronics for this BMW is "fantastic".

In a nutshell, he spent over $7,000 on repairs in those few months of ownership and sold it back the car to the dealer at a further loss. 

Must have a deep pocket to swallow this.

Changed out the leaky gaskets, valve/ plug seals and EO filter housing gasket . That's is no need for overhaul and not sure why you suggested it.

I ran both N52B25 and 30 engines and they are relatively robust enough to go beyond 250k if properly taken care of. 

31 minutes ago, Vinceng said:

Better to spend this money on an engine overhaul than these mods.

• Praise 3

I had an unpleasant experience with the gearbox and aircon of my 2011 523i about 2-3 years after purchase new from PML.  The gearbox gave intermittent strong jerks on downshifts as the car slows to a stop around 2 yrs into ownership.  As it was within warranty, PML did a software upgrade and the problem went away.  The intermittent jerks came back again when the car was around 3.5yrs old.  Before this, the car aircon failed just after the warranty and I had the compressor replaced by an outside workshop for about 2k. The workshop also assessed the gearbox issue to be non-trivial and I suspected so too as the software upgrade failed to address the problem.  I sold the car shortly.

↡ Advertisement