BMW 523i F10 Highline 10 Years COE Renewal

Neutral Newbie
10 hours ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

Get superb better

we actually found the 523i to be too big, we came from a Merc C180 previously and we all prefer the size of the C class. so if my mum is planning to get another car, she will definitely target something smaller. That's why I recommended the Octavia instead of Superb to her.

also maybe because we were driving the C180 previously, we all find the 523i to be quite powerful and more than adequate for our needs 😅.  Anyway my mum is quite a slow driver so she doesn't need a more powerful car.

so her workshop did a full check yesterday and said that since her engine is the non turbocharged one, she can renew the COE, and use some of the money saved on interior parts from Taobao (the sticky armrest problem which seems to be a common BMW issue), the workshop will just charge her for the labour cost. I will tell her to also set aside 10k to replace some of the wear and tear parts to prevent issues before they happen. I remember our previous C180 went for a 5k maintenance before and it drives and feels totally different afterwards.  

thanks all for your replies!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

9 minutes ago, xuan87 said:

we actually found the 523i to be too big, we came from a Merc C180 previously and we all prefer the size of the C class. so if my mum is planning to get another car, she will definitely target something smaller. That's why I recommended the Octavia instead of Superb to her.

also maybe because we were driving the C180 previously, we all find the 523i to be quite powerful and more than adequate for our needs 😅.  Anyway my mum is quite a slow driver so she doesn't need a more powerful car.

so her workshop did a full check yesterday and said that since her engine is the non turbocharged one, she can renew the COE, and use some of the money saved on interior parts from Taobao (the sticky armrest problem which seems to be a common BMW issue), the workshop will just charge her for the labour cost. I will tell her to also set aside 10k to replace some of the wear and tear parts to prevent issues before they happen. I remember our previous C180 went for a 5k maintenance before and it drives and feels totally different afterwards.  

The engine block for this was the tried and tested one and gd to keep

see many still running arnd

• Praise 2

Hypersonic
18 hours ago, xuan87 said:

this thread has been quite informative... My mum has a 523i with the COE expiring next month, so she has been contemplating getting an used car or renewing the COE.

it's mostly driving fine now, but her usual workshop advised her not to renew the COE, said her car will not be able to last the next 10 years without needing major repairs. 

her next step is to bring her car to a workshop for a top to bottom diagnostics, to see if it's worth renewing the COE.

My advice is for her to downgrade to a Skoda Octavia but she's not comfortable buying from a car brand that she has never heard of. 

WS is right. While parts are easy to change,  the problem is drivetrain. Cost will be in the 5 digit region if you have engine problem. If money is not a concern and your mum really likes the car, then not an issue.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, xuan87 said:

I see if prefer smaller can try scala or kamiq. Both are new model and should be easier to drive than octavia. Unless u wait for octavia latest model

If looking for smaller but scared of "unknown" Skoda, Merc got A/B/C class while BMW got 1/2/3-series. Audi got A3/A4.

If willing to throw face a bit why not try more well-known VW Jetta or Golf?

17 hours ago, Watwheels said:

Ermmm...the curb weight of the 523i I checked is 1,725kg. Actually why compare it with a 1.6L compact sedan? It is not apple vs apple.

European cars are no doubt on the heavier side. Moving off from stationary the weight can be felt. Dont care it's bmw or merc. They are very heavy cars. Entry model or even mid range model cannot go fast. Fast maybe after 80km/hr, accelerate from 80km/hr to 120km/hr. Cos the engine has to first overcome that portly curb weight to get up to speed.

With the driver the 523i is easily 1.8tons, those with 2.0L or 2.5L NA engine you think the car will go how fast? No point talk about horsepower but you dont talk about the car's weight. The Lotus Elise only has a 1.6L NA engine from Toyota, is it slow?

One of the reasons why such cars like bmw are so fuel thirsty and even thirsty for engine oil. And the driver who is thinking he's driving the ultimate driving machine. There's a lot of load for the engine to bear.

Because it is not slow compared to a 1.6l sedan.

Why are you even talking about lotus elise. I am talking about 523i not being slow in overall scheme of things.

• Praise 2

On 4/1/2021 at 8:26 AM, Cheesey74 said:

8 ish for century sprint.. the 523 is no slog lah, esp 10 years back. 

And it’s still silky smooth compared to many cars of today.

• Praise 1

On 4/1/2021 at 8:26 AM, Cheesey74 said:

8 ish for century sprint.. the 523 is no slog lah, esp 10 years back. 

Just that at high revs sounds like a cat in orgasm.. but otherwise IL6 ftw… this is the only thing @inlinesix and agree on😂

• Haha! 1

On 4/3/2021 at 1:35 AM, yellowshaun said:

Eh @TheCarDealer never update what u did in the end leh did u go and renew and zhng the 523?

I took in a 1 Owner 523i Highline with full servicing record with wear and tear replaced, no oil leak and mileage @ 125k a week back.

COE end in 2 months so I thought maybe can drive for awhile and wait for PQP to drop before renewing. On the other hand, I have a ready buyer for this unit.

In the end, customer loan approve so sadly have to let go as the car really is in immaculate condition.

Guess what, 4 days after buying in the car and 1 day before delivery date, the car died on me in a multistorey carpark halfway on the slope in an awkward position. Blocking 4 cars from coming out of their lots, and the other cars that were coming down from the higher levels had to drive against the flow of traffic to exit the carpark.

Turns out the Variable Camshaft Timing Unit dislodged inside the engine when the bolt broke and caused the car to stall and die.

For now, still looking for another unit and hoping the PQP go down.

IMG-20210418-WA0026.jpg

• Shocked 1

10 hours ago, TheCarDealer said:

I took in a 1 Owner 523i Highline with full servicing record with wear and tear replaced, no oil leak and mileage @ 125k a week back.

COE end in 2 months so I thought maybe can drive for awhile and wait for PQP to drop before renewing. On the other hand, I have a ready buyer for this unit.

In the end, customer loan approve so sadly have to let go as the car really is in immaculate condition.

Guess what, 4 days after buying in the car and 1 day before delivery date, the car died on me in a multistorey carpark halfway on the slope in an awkward position. Blocking 4 cars from coming out of their lots, and the other cars that were coming down from the higher levels had to drive against the flow of traffic to exit the carpark.

Turns out the Variable Camshaft Timing Unit dislodged inside the engine when the bolt broke and caused the car to stall and die.

For now, still looking for another unit and hoping the PQP go down.

IMG-20210418-WA0026.jpg

Damned man... I'd be cursing and swearing if someone's car blocked the route out of the MSCP like that! 

How long did it take before everyone got coordinated and started driving out from the UP ramps to get out? 

14 hours ago, Ceecookie said:

At 125k mileage? Looked like the owner could have rolled back the mileage before selling over to you. 

Doesn't seem like the mileage was tweaked based on the leather condition as well as the steering wheel wear and tear.

Not forgetting the car was backed up by full servicing records from Day 1 with PML & OW.

Did a quick research online that the problem that caused the car to stall is common for BMW IL6 engines.

5 hours ago, Comage said:

Damned man... I'd be cursing and swearing if someone's car blocked the route out of the MSCP like that! 

How long did it take before everyone got coordinated and started driving out from the UP ramps to get out? 

Approx 50 mins. Tow truck had a hard time trying to tow the car too 😅

Luckily all were understanding after I explained the situation except for 1 who thought I was trying to do harm to them. 

I positioned myself at the downslope on the other end of the carpark to direct drivers to go against the flow of traffic so as to get out of the carpark.

1 tried to run me down as I was standing in front of his car, ironically a BMW 2 series, despite me trying to explain the fact that the only way out is blocked.

In the end he proceeded and got stucked on the slope.

• Praise 2