BMW 523i F10 Highline 10 Years COE Renewal

(edited)

Honestly, forget about it. The 523i is just.. slow.. It is really really slow. It is IL6 NA slow.

Edited by Weez911
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

16 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

Honestly, forget about it. The 523i is just.. slow.. It is really really slow. It is IL6 NA slow.

I have to agree with you on this.

Mine struggled with 200 on nshw but the control and stability was awesome.

I needed to do a quick right and left at 180 to avoid a driver that looked to have doze off behind the wheel. 

The car behaved remarkably and remained in total control with little fuss. I was truly impressed.

• Praise 3

6 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

I have to agree with you on this.

Mine struggled with 200 on nshw but the control and stability was awesome.

I needed to do a quick right and left at 180 to avoid a driver that looked to have doze off behind the wheel. 

The car behaved remarkably and remained in total control with little fuss. I was truly impressed.

I agree with you on the handling, but if the TS wants to mod 523i for performance gains, I say forget it.

• Praise 2

5 hours ago, Sopskysalat said:

spend more to get a near EOL 528 or 520. Refresh it and ready for COE in 1-2 years. Should be better than 523 especially the 528. You can tune it

Depends how important the IL6 is to you. I'd rather the 6-pot over the 4-cylinder anytime, and give up the turbo power.

• Praise 2

On 7/16/2020 at 4:25 PM, Toeknee_33 said:

Depends how important the IL6 is to you. I'd rather the 6-pot over the 4-cylinder anytime, and give up the turbo power.

Agree lesser headaches too with regards to engine maintenance... was considering between a 520/528/523 but eventually settled for a IL6 since that's a bread & butter BMW tech since many moons ago before the current generation of "blasphemous" FWD mongrels appeared but trade off is cannot mod engine but trade off is wallet friendly hahaha n can go spend the monies on taobao to do interior mods 😛 

• Praise 1

On 7/14/2020 at 2:35 PM, Mockngbrd said:

Znng znng znng but still 523. Just buy a 535 sua. 

As much as i want to buy a 535, there are a few factors that do not allow me to do so. 

1) My company does not have the 535i
2) I'm getting the 523i Highline at 5.5k Depre per year (Cost Price based on $33k PQP)
3) If i were to buy it from any other dealer, im looking at 7.7k Depre per year
4) Road Tax difference (2.5 vs 3.0) + 10 to 50%
5) Fuel Consumption
6) Wear and Tear parts as compared to 523i
7) I no money, thats why the 523i is what im looking at. If not i buy a brand new one already. 

On 7/16/2020 at 4:25 PM, Toeknee_33 said:

The reason i chose the L6 is simply because i've driven 1 before and i like the smoothness of the engine.

On 7/16/2020 at 10:34 AM, Sopskysalat said:

spend more to get a near EOL 528 or 520. Refresh it and ready for COE in 1-2 years. Should be better than 523 especially the 528. You can tune it

Im looking at the L6 over the L4 ones because i travel up north often. Thus this 2 models are not in my consideration.

On 7/14/2020 at 2:29 PM, Hamburger said:

First and foremost, those parts listed for change are preventive maintenance that goes for many jap cars too. Change them and you will be rewarded with a smooth IL6 that a 4pot can never match. 

523 used n52b25 engine and is relatively robust and proven with the ZF6sp GB that's also reliable. 

Spare parts are plentify and cheap. 

Yes, i have planned to change most wear and tear parts to last me another 7 to 8 years.

On 7/14/2020 at 12:07 PM, Hamburger said:

The gain is too little. Waste time waste money. 

Been there. Done that. Regret that. 

Bro, im not looking to tune it to match the 535 in terms of power. Is there anyway to tune up its torque slightly for 0 to 100km as i've heard that the L6 is very slow off the blocks due to it being an NA.

On 7/14/2020 at 3:44 PM, Jujitsuka said:

I am also driving a 10 yr old F10, just get a reputable workshop to fix all the oil leaks & suspension issues, mine had all the swing arms replaced and leaks around the oil pan fixed plus all those leaky rubber hosing for radiator replaced etc... basically all the rubber n plastic parts in the engine bay has to go if its already 10 yrs or more, next up to fix is those sticky buttons in the interior which you can purchase via Taobao cheaply... 

Bro, don't mind PM which workshop you went to for the parts you've fixed? Hopefully with a receipt so i can compare it with my own workshop. Many thanks! I've short listed a couple of parts on taobao too. Waiting for the COE to be between 20 to 25k before i renew so that my depreciation will be about $4.9k Per Year

On 7/14/2020 at 3:44 PM, Jujitsuka said:

I am also driving a 10 yr old F10, just get a reputable workshop to fix all the oil leaks & suspension issues, mine had all the swing arms replaced and leaks around the oil pan fixed plus all those leaky rubber hosing for radiator replaced etc... basically all the rubber n plastic parts in the engine bay has to go if its already 10 yrs or more, next up to fix is those sticky buttons in the interior which you can purchase via Taobao cheaply... 

Bro, don't mind PM which workshop you went to for the parts you've fixed? Hopefully with a receipt so i can compare it with my own workshop. Many thanks! I've short listed a couple of parts on taobao too. Waiting for the COE to be between 20 to 25k before i renew so that my depreciation will be about $4.9k Per Year

• Praise 1

To the rest of the bros, i appreciate your inputs/feedback. My first priority is to get all the wear and tear parts fixed. I'm also planning to create a youtube channel to share my 5 to 7 years of mods/upgrades for the F10 from the day i officially buy over the car. Most likely will be 2 or 3 mths later as i'm waiting for the PQP to fall to $20 - 25k before renewal.

• Praise 1

45 minutes ago, TheCarDealer said:

Bro, im not looking to tune it to match the 535 in terms of power. Is there anyway to tune up its torque slightly for 0 to 100km as i've heard that the L6 is very slow off the blocks due to it being an NA.

Not all acceleration is about from standstill. 

The IL6 from 60 till flat out will be smooth and relatively quick. 

Again its a NA, gain will be at most a fraction of what TC can do. Alternately save the money and use it in sport mode. It would be rewarding and aggressive enough. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1