BMW 523i F10 Highline 10 Years COE Renewal

49 minutes ago, ferrytales said:

Sorry for digging this thread but I am also considering a 2011 f10 523i with coe renewed cause got a decent lobang and mileage < 100k. But coe pqp went up so gotta pay abit more as compared to those in 2010. 

Any current or previous owners have insights? 

If I'm really keen, I will be sending the car for a pre inspection first with the reputable BMW workshops like R2D. 

I am not owner, but having done some research into the BMW parts and replacement procedures for common components, I think it is actually not too bad if you have a trusted workshop who just charge you labour. You can get your parts not too expensive from stockist or internet (reputable brands such as Zimmerman/Mahle etc).

But yes looking at the owner stories, you do need to change a lot of parts, as most parts of the car are considered wear and tear. 10-20k worse case should be put aside.

I was at a workshop where i saw a pile of BMW parts at the rubbish heap - the workshop owner told me a COE BMW came in and asked to do everything necessary to last next 10 year. I saw entire suspension (all aluminium suspension links) radiator, ignition coils, hoses etc all changed.

↡ Advertisement

19 minutes ago, t0y0ta said:

I am not owner, but having done some research into the BMW parts and replacement procedures for common components, I think it is actually not too bad if you have a trusted workshop who just charge you labour. You can get your parts not too expensive from stockist or internet (reputable brands such as Zimmerman/Mahle etc).

But yes looking at the owner stories, you do need to change a lot of parts, as most parts of the car are considered wear and tear. 10-20k worse case should be put aside.

I was at a workshop where i saw a pile of BMW parts at the rubbish heap - the workshop owner told me a COE BMW came in and asked to do everything necessary to last next 10 year. I saw entire suspension (all aluminium suspension links) radiator, ignition coils, hoses etc all changed.

I bet there’s no signal stalk in the pile...no need to change becos it’s still brand new in the car 😁

• Haha! 7

4 hours ago, ferrytales said:

Sorry for digging this thread but I am also considering a 2011 f10 523i with coe renewed cause got a decent lobang and mileage < 100k. But coe pqp went up so gotta pay abit more as compared to those in 2010. 

Any current or previous owners have insights? 

If I'm really keen, I will be sending the car for a pre inspection first with the reputable BMW workshops like R2D. 

R2D is not a reputable workshop fyi... best steer clear of those BMW forum sponsors and save yourself the heartache.

On 8/6/2020 at 11:40 AM, Davidklt said:

If you intend to buy one for COE extension, best is to get one with 1 year COE left first. Drive for a while and let the problems surface first before deciding to extend the COE. If there are too many issues, just scrap.

Yeah some of the members in the F10 whatsapp group did just that andddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd they are staring at a 45k PQP instead of a 30ish PQP LOL... 

• Haha! 1

I personally find only merc worth to extend...the rests of conti or angmoh chia better send them off to scrapyard or oversea...save the trouble and moolah 😁

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

Don't own one but I've been driving a 2011 low mileage ~100k 523i Highline F10 occasionally for the past 1 year. 
Engine & transmission is smooth but quite underpowered unless you go for sports/sports+ mode then quite decent

No problems encountered by owner so far, probably the usual conti problem of "eating" engine oil only

Edited by Aventa

18 hours ago, Aventa said:

Don't own one but I've been driving a 2011 low mileage ~100k 523i Highline F10 occasionally for the past 1 year. 
Engine & transmission is smooth but quite underpowered unless you go for sports/sports+ mode then quite decent

No problems encountered by owner so far, probably the usual conti problem of "eating" engine oil only

523 is a detuned 525.  Of course, underpower.

Engine oil loss likely due to short travelling

Neutral Newbie

this thread has been quite informative... My mum has a 523i with the COE expiring next month, so she has been contemplating getting an used car or renewing the COE.

it's mostly driving fine now, but her usual workshop advised her not to renew the COE, said her car will not be able to last the next 10 years without needing major repairs. 

her next step is to bring her car to a workshop for a top to bottom diagnostics, to see if it's worth renewing the COE.

My advice is for her to downgrade to a Skoda Octavia but she's not comfortable buying from a car brand that she has never heard of. 

• Praise 2

7 hours ago, xuan87 said:

this thread has been quite informative... My mum has a 523i with the COE expiring next month, so she has been contemplating getting an used car or renewing the COE.

it's mostly driving fine now, but her usual workshop advised her not to renew the COE, said her car will not be able to last the next 10 years without needing major repairs. 

her next step is to bring her car to a workshop for a top to bottom diagnostics, to see if it's worth renewing the COE.

My advice is for her to downgrade to a Skoda Octavia but she's not comfortable buying from a car brand that she has never heard of. 

Thanks for sharing

reasonable to go for a check up

however, even if no faults are identified in the screen, because there are many factors involved (mileage, driving habits, etc), for a EOL car, it is difficult to predict what will happen in the next few months let alone in the next 10 years.  Some luck is needed. If the car has had few problems in last 10 years, and still low mileage, then certainly worth considering 

• Praise 2

Don't be too obsessed with the 10 yrs mark. 

It's a time line set by G to milk motorist. 

A car, even a picanto can last 20 yrs easily with proper care. 

• Praise 5

8 hours ago, xuan87 said:

Get superb better

• Praise 1

On 2/8/2021 at 8:16 PM, Jujitsuka said:

R2D is not a reputable workshop fyi... best steer clear of those BMW forum sponsors and save yourself the heartache.

I find bmworkshop not bad after trying few diff famous bmw workshops in sg

• Praise 1

Surprised all the 523i is slow comments. Its not a 535i or M5 but its not that slow compared to our usual 1.6L NA yardsticks.

I was happy even driving the E39 520i hor.

1 minute ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

Hope he don't drive into that "workshop" one day since he doesn't thrusted it ... :we-all-gonna-die: 

to each his own.  I am sure R does not need such brickbrats going to his place with entitled ideas and the like.  Less crowd so more time to deal with those who value R for his technical competencies

• Praise 2

8 hours ago, Ake109 said:

Surprised all the 523i is slow comments. Its not a 535i or M5 but its not that slow compared to our usual 1.6L NA yardsticks.

I was happy even driving the E39 520i hor.

Ermmm...the curb weight of the 523i I checked is 1,725kg. Actually why compare it with a 1.6L compact sedan? It is not apple vs apple.

European cars are no doubt on the heavier side. Moving off from stationary the weight can be felt. Dont care it's bmw or merc. They are very heavy cars. Entry model or even mid range model cannot go fast. Fast maybe after 80km/hr, accelerate from 80km/hr to 120km/hr. Cos the engine has to first overcome that portly curb weight to get up to speed.

With the driver the 523i is easily 1.8tons, those with 2.0L or 2.5L NA engine you think the car will go how fast? No point talk about horsepower but you dont talk about the car's weight. The Lotus Elise only has a 1.6L NA engine from Toyota, is it slow?

One of the reasons why such cars like bmw are so fuel thirsty and even thirsty for engine oil. And the driver who is thinking he's driving the ultimate driving machine. There's a lot of load for the engine to bear.

Edited by Watwheels
↡ Advertisement