Stock Rim Better when driving between 100km-120km or should upgrade to bigger rim?

ismailmiller

Hi Guys, 

Just an interesting question. My 2010 altis is on 16 inch and my tires are wearing out. 

When the car is driven around 100-110km, the ride is quite stable with 16 inch rims (205/55). I was wondering if I change back to original stock settings of 195/65/15 would the stability be reduced? I remembered driving my old vios at 100km/hr and the car feels like it's unstable on the stock rims (195/65/15) maybe because the kerb weight is only 1095 kg. Of course altis weighs 1255 kg so theoretically the car should have better stability.

Just wondering if anyone here is on stock rims (195/65/15) can share their experience driving at those higher speeds >100km/h. Thanks. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

12 minutes ago, ismailmiller said:

Hi Guys, 

Just an interesting question. My 2010 altis is on 16 inch and my tires are wearing out. 

When the car is driven around 100-110km, the ride is quite stable with 16 inch rims (205/55). I was wondering if I change back to original stock settings of 195/65/15 would the stability be reduced? I remembered driving my old vios at 100km/hr and the car feels like it's unstable on the stock rims (195/65/15) maybe because the kerb weight is only 1095 kg. Of course altis weighs 1255 kg so theoretically the car should have better stability.

Just wondering if anyone here is on stock rims (195/65/15) can share their experience driving at those higher speeds >100km/h. Thanks. 

205.55.16 confirm more stable then 195.65.15. u will feel it esp when the road is uneven.

nothing to do with the weight of the rim,

but the width and thickness of your tyres

• Praise 3

(edited)

Stability should be looking at the car's chassis setup, suspension and center of gravity (engine and gb). For a car it's never a one off factor or item that affect the stability and handling. Dunno why some guys always like to focus on one thing and ignore the rest.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 4

58 minutes ago, ismailmiller said:

Hi Guys, 

I was on 195/16 and changed to 205/16 before and honestly, not much difference. But i can comfortably go around 120 and the kerb weight of my car is slightly less than your vios.

Stability on higher speeds depends more on the kerb weight, steering feedback, suspension setup and your guts. Lol. Up north, alot of stock Altis can overtake me with ease. I've driven the first gen vios and I don't feel is unstable above 100kmph.

• Praise 1

(edited)

Stick to stock size. If they give you 60 pr 65 profile tyre size, you are in luck.

Too low a profile with broad rectangular shape contact patch is a magnet for punctured tyre and aquaplaning.

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 2

(edited)

I find rim change is more towards aesthetic consideration unless there a compromise on safety. 

I believe stock rims are designed with good safety factor in mind on what the car's can-do limitations.

Edited by Cephas

3 hours ago, ismailmiller said:

Hi Guys, 

What do you mean when you use the word "stable/unstable"? Can you describe?

2 hours ago, Watwheels said:

Stability should be looking at the car's chassis setup, suspension and center of gravity (engine and gb). For a car it's never a one off factor or item that affect the stability and handling. Dunno why some guys always like to focus on one thing and ignore the rest.

I agree with you that the rims size is not the only consideration when it comes to handling, grip and stability. Different cars have different characteristics.

If we are talking about the same car, then choice of tyre brand/model, damper condition, suspension arms/bushes condition, wheel alignment, aerodynamics - they all play a part. Oh! And also weight distribution. Carry more passengers or heavy load in the boot also has drastic effects. 

It is also a common fallacy that heavier cars are more stable. Its not true. The heavier the car, the harder to control the body movements on uneven roads, the harder for the tyres to change directions. The Lotus Elise is light, F1 cars are light.

Anyway, 100kmh is not that high a speed lah..but these are my thoughts - 

Bigger rims = lower profile tyres = less ride comfort and more road noise.

Bigger rims = thinner tyre sidewalls = less flexing of tyre during hard corners = more precise handling and road feel (if TS is sensitive enough to feel it and its important to him, that is)

Bigger rims = heavier rim/tyre combo = more unsprung weight = harder for dampers to control the movement of the wheels = more bouncing around on uneven roads.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

The car is 10yrs old. The wear n tear on suspension, driveshafts,  steering rack, engine & GB mounts all contribute to the problem. Upsizing the rims will juz amplify instead of solving it.

• Haha! 1

I ordered tires for my truck, which were about $1200. Rims look pretty ratty, about $1000 to have them refinished, and i would be without my truck for 3-4 days. Looked at the online classifieds (like craigslist) and found somebody selling the factory rims and tires from their higher trim level truck for $1250 because they put something flashier on their truck.
They are called takeoffs, and quite common. So look around before to spend money on new tires.

On 11/24/2020 at 5:17 PM, SamuelWyatt said:

I ordered tires for my truck, which were about $1200. Rims look pretty ratty, about $1000 to have them refinished, and i would be without my truck for 3-4 days. Looked at the online classifieds (like craigslist) and found somebody selling the factory rims and tires from their higher trim level truck for $1250 because they put something flashier on their truck.
They are called takeoffs, and quite common. So look around before to spend money on new tires. Tweakbox

issue got solved

↡ Advertisement