Tik Tok ban

Lala81

Apart from US even Sg and UK are courting Tik Tok to other move options, would benefit Sg in such bad times if they move here as we are neutral country and servers and everything here too;   if rather than pay US govt Lim Kopi money move here better ; After all we are knowledge based economy    

Edited by BanCoe
  • Praise 3

On 7/19/2020 at 10:19 PM, Lala81 said:

BBC News - TikTok's UK headquarters in doubt amid US pressure
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53462918

I'm no lover of the ccp. But this is really incredible hypocrisy. 

This is coming from the two governments who collect massive amounts of data on their own citizens as revealed by Edward Snowden. Reportedly to find terrorists. They would love to tap the entire world except that Apple the main handphone used by most Americans refuse to comply with many of their information requests. 

And Canada, USA, England are tapping all communication cables on both sides of the Atlantic....

And the silly thing is that you can choose not to use wechat, tiktok or huawei phones... 

As long as Chinese, all are CCP. Even all Chinese in Singapore. This is what the west will think. Singaporean? As long as you are Chinese as an ethnic group. 

37 minutes ago, BanCoe said:

Apart from US even Sg and UK are courting Tik Tok to other move options, would benefit Sg in such bad times if they move here as we are neutral country and servers and everything here too;   if rather than pay US govt Lim Kopi money move here better ; After all we are knowledge based economy    

China had been free riding for too long in term of trade and IP. This is really about forced opening.

If others cannot operate freely in China,  there absolutely no reason why China should be given that privilege elsewhere.  

In the long run, other countries are definitely cheering quietly on the sideline. Cos either they make China play to the same rules,  or everyone will become a mere vassal eventually. 

• Praise 1

This tick tock ban and among other things.. Only signal to the world that they are at the mercy of America even if they did nothing wrong. This also mean that for businesses, they will see America as a very risky place to start business or expend their business over there as who knows suddenly trump or other president will suddenly say ban them because they are too big or America see them as a threat to their country. 

Supercharged
52 minutes ago, Playtime said:

China had been free riding for too long in term of trade and IP. This is really about forced opening.

If others cannot operate freely in China,  there absolutely no reason why China should be given that privilege elsewhere.  

In the long run, other countries are definitely cheering quietly on the sideline. Cos either they make China play to the same rules,  or everyone will become a mere vassal eventually. 

Your consumer market share will determine your negotiating power. There are now millions of Tik Tok users in US which Byte Dance finds it hard to just write off.

But don't China also use the same tactic? How many times have we seen China restricting Chinese travelling to a country it is not happy with, causing huge impact to tourism industry?

• Haha! 2

10 hours ago, Playtime said:

I would rather Trump comes out with some other policies to punish China for not playing fair. 

Trump announced a possible ban, then a US company offered to buy it on the cheap, then you imposed a crazy timeline and demanded a big cut.  

If it is really a national security concern, just impose some rules to ringfence the server and info while allowing an open transparent bidding process to be conducted and the company sold to the highest bidder.

Don't think other countries are cheering.  We are going back to the dark ages if the US were to follow China and abandon the rule of laws. The world doesn't just consist of US and China. 

Edited by Voodooman
  • Haha! 1

5 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

I would rather Trump comes out with some other policies to punish China for not playing fair. 

Trump announced a possible ban, then a US company offered to buy it on the cheap, then you imposed a crazy timeline and demanded a big cut.  

If it is really a national security concern, just impose some rules to ringfence the server and info while allowing an open transparent bidding process to be conducted and the company sold to the highest bidder.

Don't think other countries are cheering.  We are going back to the dark ages if the US were to follow China and abandon the rule of laws. The world doesn't just consist of US and China. 

I sure everyone knows trump's a loose canon. 

They all waiting for next president to work out the details.  But the broad direction is not going to change. 

If anything.. if Biden wins, he may well be able to carry it through. Then EU may well show hand. 

• Praise 1

20 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

Not only China.. Trump can do this to China means he could also do it to other countries too.. This is really no good as it will lead to no confidence in negotiating for agreement as scared later say will void the agreement or businesses setup in America is deem too risky.. So American will be worst off when less businesses willing to come over to America to setup base over there. 

• Praise 2

17 hours ago, Playtime said:

I sure everyone knows trump's a loose canon. 

They all waiting for next president to work out the details.  But the broad direction is not going to change. 

If anything.. if Biden wins, he may well be able to carry it through. Then EU may well show hand. 

Actually i think Trump will be tougher on China than Biden.

• Praise 1

20 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

China and Russia want Trump to win the Nov election... they want US to decline another term. 

• Haha! 3

18 hours ago, Voodooman said:

if u look at the way thing is happening around the world, US  and china is going exact opposit direction of each other.

while china is opening up, joining more world group and org, taking a lead in world event having more trade deal with the rest of the world

US is closing up, isolating himself. pulling out from more and more world org. tearing up treaty, trade  sanctions with almost all his trading partners. 

china dun give a damn if their trading partners use US product , but US is forcing their partners to choose side.

i think deep inside xi is wishing trump can stay 4 more years😂

• Praise 2

Quite a good coverage of the issues on hand.

I am seeing it more and more as a an US election year issue and to divert attention from the Covid disaster unfolding in the US. 

Edited by Voodooman
  • Praise 1

On 8/6/2020 at 4:45 PM, Voodooman said:

i think its not about who is talking tougher.

its about who can mobilise support on a wide front.

Trump, no matter how tough he talks, cannot do it cos he pissed off too many allies... loud thunder small rain.

Biden... assuming he wins...  even if he is more moderate, he surely can  get more countries on his side, having a bigger real impact, im sure china is aware of it, so in fact, maybe china would prefer Trump instead.

On 8/5/2020 at 11:14 PM, Yewheng said:

Not only China.. Trump can do this to China means he could also do it to other countries too.. This is really no good as it will lead to no confidence in negotiating for agreement as scared later say will void the agreement or businesses setup in America is deem too risky.. So American will be worst off when less businesses willing to come over to America to setup base over there. 

US is not a developing country depending of foreign investments to bring in capital and expertise. So no worries about others not setting up bases there. Its own companies have unlimited capital and ability to attract the expertise. 

My BFF told me the REAL REASON he banned TT is because  they f*#ked up his Tulsa Rally.

He thought 1 million people would come but only 6,200 came and the whole place was empty.

So he banned TT for revenge lah. He said the CCP are NOT interested in spying on your latest dance moves.

I believe him. Now you know. 

:grin:

image.thumb.png.074515e3782493ab7f84afabd7f86d24.png

Edited by Jamesc
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2