Mandatory wearing of masks in public spaces even if you're exercising?

BabyBlade

Should wearing of surgical/fabric mask be made mandatory for all scenarios including when exercising, excluding those with valid medical reasons?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Should wearing of surgical/fabric mask be made mandatory for all scenarios including when exercising, excluding those with valid medical reasons?

• Yes
    • No

Internal Moderator

Just for discussion, based on my recent observations.

Should masks be made mandatory as long as you step out of the house? Only those with valid medical reasons with a certificate from the doctors should be excused, but you will still be required to wear a face shield, and also required to provide the certificate if approached by social distancing ambassadors and relevant authorities. I am of the view that should one choose to exercise out in public, that is a personal choice, and your personal choice should not affect the health of the general public. And if exercising with a mask is too suffocating, then the choice is clear, stay home and do simple exercises so you don't have to put on a mask. 

Whenever I'm on the road at the traffic lights, I observe pedestrians waiting at the lights alongside joggers (panting) and I can only imagine the droplets being excreted out and the bystanders potentially breathing in these respiratory droplets. And then we have crowded beaches and parks where social distancing is not possible but most people do not put on masks anyway because it is not a requirement if you are "exercising". As a general rule of thumb, as long as you are out in public, you should put on a mask.

Is there a need for exemption for this group of people? Pretty straightforward if you ask me. There is a pandemic going on which will not be going away anytime soon. We have to make lifestyle changes and not insist on our usual way of life.

Also, your surgical mask or cloth mask should cover your nose and mouth, and not act as a chin guard. Those not covering either should be treated the same as you would as someone not wearing a mask since there is essentially no protection.

wearing_facemasks.jpg.b3f1b293124b5ece624a4f78ebba5704.jpg

online_wearing-surgical-masks.thumb.jpg.419ea3941ebbf078a354267a55452f43.jpg

https://www.todayonline.com/voices/tighten-rules-mask-wearing-those-not-doing-strenuous-exercise?

Thoughts? Feel free to disagree with me.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6

Turbocharged

I think answer is obvious. Not that mask will definitely protect you against the virus, it helps to put layers to outside environment before you breathe in. More importantly,  it also filter whatever you will be spreading lah. 

When people touch everywhere then their mask. Take it out and then put back, I think it does more harm lor. 

• Praise 2

(edited)
26 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

Just for discussion, based on my recent observations.

Should masks be made mandatory as long as you step out of the house? Only those with valid medical reasons with a certificate from the doctors should be excused, but you will still be required to wear a face shield, and also required to provide the certificate if approached by social distancing ambassadors and relevant authorities. I am of the view that should one choose to exercise out in public, that is a personal choice, and your personal choice should not affect the health of the general public. And if exercising with a mask is too suffocating, then the choice is clear, stay home and do simple exercises so you don't have to put on a mask. 

Whenever I'm on the road at the traffic lights, I observe pedestrians waiting at the lights alongside joggers (panting) and I can only imagine the droplets being excreted out and the bystanders potentially breathing in these respiratory droplets. And then we have crowded beaches and parks where social distancing is not possible but most people do not put on masks anyway because it is not a requirement if you are "exercising". As a general rule of thumb, as long as you are out in public, you should put on a mask.

Is there a need for exemption for this group of people? Pretty straightforward if you ask me. There is a pandemic going on which will not be going away anytime soon. We have to make lifestyle changes and not insist on our usual way of life.

Also, your surgical mask or cloth mask should cover your nose and mouth, and not act as a chin guard. Those not covering either should be treated the same as you would as someone not wearing a mask since there is no protection.

wearing_facemasks.jpg.b3f1b293124b5ece624a4f78ebba5704.jpg

online_wearing-surgical-masks.thumb.jpg.419ea3941ebbf078a354267a55452f43.jpg

https://www.todayonline.com/voices/tighten-rules-mask-wearing-those-not-doing-strenuous-exercise?

Thoughts? Feel free to disagree with me.

Yesterday when I went to Raffles Marina, I saw:

One person had just finished fishing. No mask. Standing there, right in the path of people entering and exiting, going yak yakety yak and laughing in tiong language and accent to his friend right next to him. 

Friend had masked pulled down below his mouth. Smoking a cig. I was at least 6m away in a wide open space, can still smell the damn smoke. 

Not connected to the above two jokers, another angler, strolled past, no mask.

And another fella strolling past ("exercising" like a handicapped snail on heroin) not wearing a mask. 

Yet another fella squatting down near the fenced area, mask pulled down. 

All this in the span of half and hour.

Bloody twats, the lot of them. They should make absence of a facial covering a jailable offence and improper usage carry at least a heavy fine. 

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 6

Internal Moderator

Btw, masks should be mandatory in the gyms as well. No excuses. If its too strenuous for one to be wearing a mask while carrying weights etc, then stay home and carry out your exercises. My opinion!

• Praise 9

12 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

One person had just finished fishing. No mask. Standing there, right in the path of people entering and exiting, going yak yakety yak and laughing in tiong language and accent to his friend right next to him. 

Friend had masked pulled down below his mouth. Smoking a cig. I was at least 6m away in a wide open space, can still smell the damn smoke. 

And another fella strolling past ("exercising" like a handicapped snail on heroin) not wearing a mask. 

Bloody twats, the lot of them. They should make absence of a facial covering a jailable offence and improper usage carry at least a heavy fine. 

Can maintain current amount of penalty, but add in if those previously caught not wearing mask,  or caught not wearing properly, any Covid 19 related medical charges including hospitalization is not claimable from insurance or government , meaning ownself pay  

• Praise 5

Internal Moderator
11 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

I was at Changi Village on Saturday.. Chatting with two other friends at the carpark away from everyone else. Observed the same thing! Also, they were in groups of more than five, some easily more than ten. If you drive along Changi Coastal Road, you'll find cyclists in big groups (more than ten without social distancing), without masks. We need to tighten our regulations for sure.

• Praise 2

You should start this discussion in a US forum. So many socially irresponsible idiots there.  They are entering the Italian moment soon. 

For exercise? I read outdoor is ok, just don't hang around a panting runner for too long. I will also avoid gym till we have a vaccine, that is for sure. 

Extract from an article I read a few weeks ago. I have stopped wiping down my phone every 6 hours.  😂

Rasmussen and Kasten both noted that a perfect sequence of events has to happen for a virus to jump from an infected passerby outdoors to you. The particles — enough of them to be able to kickstart an infection — have to spray out of the passerby with enough force to make their way over to you. The virus inside the particles has to survive while sunlight, humidity, wind, and other forces work to decay and disperse them. The particles have to land right in your upper throat or respiratory tract — or on your hands, which you then use to touch your eyes, nose, or mouth — and they have to get past all the barriers to infection in the respiratory system, like nose hairs and mucus. Then they have to dock up with your cells’ ACE-2 receptors and use them to enter the cells.

But if you’re worrying about how many particles a passerby is generating with their exhalations, it may help to know that a recent study managed to quantify how many virus particles were detectable after patients who had Covid-19 and who were not wearing masks coughed five times into a petri dish at a distance of roughly 8 inches.

The scientists detected 363 virus particles on average per 1 ml of petri dish. That seems like a lot, but again, that was at a distance of 8 inches. If you’re 6 feet away (72 inches), much of that will disperse before you can inhale it — particularly if you’re outdoors, where factors like increased distance, decreased duration of exposure, and improved air ventilation are all working in your favor.

It may also help to know about two new studies suggesting that most Covid-19 transmission happens indoors, not outdoors.

the odds that a primary case transmitted Covid-19 in a closed environment was 18.7 times greater compared to an open-air environment.

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2020/4/24/21233226/coronavirus-runners-cyclists-airborne-infectious-dose

• Praise 4

Internal Moderator
1 minute ago, inlinesix said:

No amount of punishment is useful if ZERO Enforcement.

I'm quite sure its not zero enforcement but it's a number game. People should practice social responsibility instead of waiting for the law to enforce. 

• Praise 3

8 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

Btw, masks should be mandatory in the gyms as well. No excuses. If its too strenuous for one to be wearing a mask while carrying weights etc, then stay home and carry out your exercises. My opinion!

It is dangerous to run and wear a mask. Weights are probably ok.

• Praise 2

2 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

I was at Changi Village on Saturday.. Chatting with two other friends at the carpark away from everyone else. Observed the same thing! Also, they were in groups of more than five, some easily more than ten. If you drive along Changi Coastal Road, you'll find cyclists in big groups (more than ten without social distancing), without masks. We need to tighten our regulations for sure.

these places changi village, open park, or activities usually away fr crowd, hence they are more relax with the mask themselves.

Compare to malls, hawker centre, restaurants (all no mask while eating and talking), markets etc where more talking. These clusters within arm length distance from strangers that you contact with every second, which one is more risky?

1 minute ago, Jman888 said:

these places changi village, open park, or activities usually away fr crowd, hence they are more relax with the mask themselves.

Compare to malls, hawker centre, restaurants (all no mask while eating and talking), markets etc where more talking. These clusters within arm length distance from strangers that you contact with every second, which one is more risky?

I have been practising Social Distancing since March. 

If i can't occupy a table of six to myself, i will avoid eating out.

• Praise 5

2 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

I have been practising Social Distancing since March. 

If i can't occupy a table of six to myself, i will avoid eating out.

I have been practising Social Distancing all my life. 

It has become Socially Acceptable this year. 😁

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 10

You guys are full blown mask fundamentalists! 😀

Indoors, no question about it. 1-2 meter physical contact at work sites, same.

Outdoor exercising when solo? Meh.

When bicycling around midnight I'm somewhere between 20-400 meters to the nearest person. Big deal.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

3 minutes ago, CremornePt said:

You guys are full blown mask fundamentalists! 😀

Indoors, no question about it. 1-2 meter physical contact at work sites, same.

Outdoor exercising when solo? Meh.

When bicycling around midnight I'm somewhere between 20-400 meters to the nearest person. Big deal.

I sort of agree, the main infection point is probably indoor. When they allow social gathering of 5, that is a real risk. If you allow 1-2 hours meals without mask for people who are not in the same household, why ban outdoor running without mask?

• Praise 2

Only in the US and a few other virus hotspot like Brazil is this even a debate and driven by idiots who refuse to accept reality. Rest of the world the answer is plain and simple. The covid death rate settles the question, so the same covidiots try to question the data... but how far off can the numbers truly be? If the figures are 10,000% off then maybe they got a case... if 1-2% off then they should stfu and let healthcare officials carry on

↡ Advertisement