Keep and store license plate after car scrap

Lancer07

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Hi Everyone,

Just want to check can I request to keep my license plate number after car is scrap? Want to keep for memory.

Edited by Lancer07
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

3 hours ago, Lancer07 said:

Hi Everyone,

Just want to check can I request to keep my license plate number after car is scrap? Want to keep for memory.

Yes you can, you pay$1,300 to retain your number for 12 months,  after which, you will have to  pay $1,000 for every 6 months .

• Praise 1

(edited)

just buy another car to transfer over or transfer to your exisitng "new" car. Paying $1000 every 6 months is no joke.😄

one time $1300 is better than lifetime $1000 every 6 months.

Edited by StreamRSZ

Turbocharged
(edited)

when u send direct to scrap yard then take out no issue, but if u trade in for new car etc send to AD like maybe borneo motor, cycle and carriage or PI then can only request as the plate still need to be on before it reaches the yard (most likely they will reject). 

Edited by Dafansu
  • Praise 3

haha y dont you make a new plate? then just exchange with existing and keep the old plate. or you can keep the new plate. that's what my uncle did when he scrapped his car a couple of yrs back. 

• Praise 1

Can. Just need to tell the salesperson. I did that when I traded in my first car. Or you could do it yourself on the day you trade in your car. Just unclip the holder or frame using a a prying tool.

Supersonic
2 hours ago, Dafansu said:

when u send direct to scrap yard then take out no issue, but if u trade in for new car etc send to AD like maybe borneo motor, cycle and carriage or PI then can only request as the plate still need to be on before it reaches the yard (most likely they will reject). 

Correct, when you send in your car to scrapyard, can ask the people at scrapyard to remove one of the car plate from the car and pass it to you. But they can only give you one car plate, either front or back. But if you trade in your car to agent and the agent would drive the car away, not easy to get back the car plate, cause the dealer high chance would not remember your request to take out the car plate de.

(edited)

The last I check onemotoring, I chose the deregistered car and retain licence plate online. I was brought to a page where I have to just pay $100.

For a scrapped/deregistered car,  just pay upfront $100 in order to retain the licence plate for 12 months.

When a new car is bought & registered within the next 12 months, the retained licence number can be used on the new car, with zero additional fees.

https://www.onemotoring.com.sg/content/onemotoring/home/selling-deregistering/retain-replace-vrn.html#fee_you_pay

Upfront fee to retain your VRN from a deregistered vehicle

Part 1: $100

Edited by Jwee85

Turbocharged
(edited)
4 hours ago, mersaylee said:

I think TS meant the physical plate to be on the wall or display shelf 

that's what i thought too, when i read his question

and i was thinking, wah so expensive to keep the physical number plate meh??

boh lee you lah!

😂😂

Edited by Scion
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Twincharged
18 minutes ago, Jwee85 said:

The last I check onemotoring, I chose the deregistered car and retain licence plate online. I was brought to a page where I have to just pay $100.

For a scrapped/deregistered car,  just pay upfront $100 in order to retain the licence plate for 12 months.

When a new car is bought & registered within the next 12 months, the retained licence number can be used on the new car, with zero additional fees.

https://www.onemotoring.com.sg/content/onemotoring/home/selling-deregistering/retain-replace-vrn.html#fee_you_pay

Upfront fee to retain your VRN from a deregistered vehicle

Part 1: $100

its $1300, upfront.  only if you transfer to a brand new car within 14days will it be $100. 

• Praise 2

If you just want the physical plate, you can always make another one and keep that. It's cheap. Or swap it out before scrap if the old plate has more sentimental value. 

Neutral Newbie

Okay, great to have all your responses guys. Appreciate it! At least I know that there are people like me who have done it before and it is not against the law!

And yes I meant to take out the physical car plate and keep it for sentimental purpose.

↡ Advertisement