Jump to content
kobayashiGT

Skoda takes on Mazda MX-5 with new Scala-based open-top roadster

Recommended Posts

Moderator

Skoda takes on Mazda MX-5 with new Scala-based open-top roadster

source: https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/skoda-takes-on-mazda-mx-5-with-new-scala-based-open-top-roadster-79870

2020-Skoda-Slavia-roadster-white-1001x56

 

Skoda has surprisingly revealed its very own Mazda MX-5 rival, the Slavia, which is an open-top roadster based on the incoming Scala small hatch.

But before you get too excited, it’s worth noting the Slavia is just a concept. In fact, it’s the latest one from the Skoda vocational school in Mlada Boleslav, Czech Republic, which annually tasks students to produce a one-off vehicle in-house.

Inspired by the 1958 Skoda 1100 OHC racecar, the Slavia naturally started life as a Scala, but soon its roof was removed and rear doors welded in place, while its underbody was reinforced.

Then a rear cover was added behind the Slavia’s remaining front seats, with it highlighted by two flying buttresses that integrate into the redesigned bootlid, which is topped by a prominent spoiler. As a result, it measures 4362mm long, 1793mm wide and 1410mm tall.

Finished in White Crystal Blue paintwork, the Slavia borrows its 20-inch Xtreme alloy wheels (with 235/30 tyres) from the Kodiaq RS large SUV, while its brakes package and wheel hubs are shared with the Octavia RS mid-size car. It also gets an upgraded exhaust system.

2020-Skoda-Slavia-roadster-white-1001x56

2020-Skoda-Slavia-roadster-white-1001x56

2020-Skoda-Slavia-roadster-white-1001x56

That said, the Slavia’s most striking feature is its underbody LED lighting, which can be set to blue, red or white. And to really cap the exterior transformation off, the bootlid’s Skoda lettering doubles as a brake or reversing light.

Inside, the Slavia stands out from the Scala crowd with its Sparco race seats, four-point seatbelts, black perforated leather upholstery with carbon trim and white stitching and piping. The steering wheel and gear selector are also trimmed in white leather up top.

Like the Scala, the Slavia is powered by a 110kW/250Nm turbo-petrol four-cylinder engine, which sends drive exclusively to the front wheels via a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission.

As reported, the Scala is due in Australian showrooms imminently, with its four-variant range priced between $27,690 and $34,690 plus on-road costs.

Quote

Quite a looker leh. 😍

 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged

That was some time back.

And even further back

I suppose one can hope .. but its like fengshu ..

Which fengshu master predicted the covid19 outbreak?

 

  • Haha! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic

MX 5 is a RWD leh. Handling is different already even though it's down on torque.

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator

This Slavia is the 7th concept from Skoda Academy in Mlada Boleslav, Czech Republic. The best concept from the academy so far, and it seems to be totally production ready.

skoda_slavia_concept_79_03a7022910550c15

skoda_slavia_concept_3_026e00be10560bb0.

skoda_slavia_concept_53_041701e410fe0d32

skoda_slavia_concept_68.jpg

But please, remove the under carriage LED lighting, else it would appears like a Chinggay vehicle on our road (and become the favorite among certain group of owner here, you know who...) :D 

  • Praise 6
  • Haha! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
4 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

This Slavia is the 7th concept from Skoda Academy in Mlada Boleslav, Czech Republic. The best concept from the academy so far, and it seems to be totally production ready.

skoda_slavia_concept_79_03a7022910550c15

skoda_slavia_concept_3_026e00be10560bb0.

skoda_slavia_concept_53_041701e410fe0d32

skoda_slavia_concept_68.jpg

But please, remove the under carriage LED lighting, else it would appears like a Chinggay vehicle on our road (and become the favorite among certain group of owner here, you know who...) :D 

quite nice leh. I wish it to be a rear engine rear wheel drive. the hood at the rear have no purpose for storage liao, might as well put the engine behind. then call this the Slavia VRS

  • Praise 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic

I think it looks closer to the Honda S660.

2013-428914-honda-s660-concept-at-tokyo-

s660_3.jpg

  • Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator

For those interested, these are the other 6 concept for Skoda Academy, from 2014 - 2019.

2019 Škoda Mountiaq Concept (based on Kodiaq)

skoda_10_0213015a135c0d9f.jpg

skoda_mountiaq_concept_2_0189016213f00de

skoda_mountiaq_concept_1_0260012c13fa0ef

skoda_mountiaq_concept_7.jpg

2018 Škoda Sunroq Concept (based on Karoq)

skoda_sunroq_concept_020c01160cc90997.jp

skoda_sunroq_concept_9_00ee001a0df8098c.

skoda_sunroq_concept_97_026e01b40c820884

skoda_sunroq_concept_55.jpg

2017 Škoda Element Concept (based on Citigo)

skoda_citigo_3-door_6.jpg

skoda_element_concept_5.jpg

skoda_element_concept_17.jpg

skoda_element_concept_69.jpg

2016 Škoda Atero Concept (based on Rapid Spaceback)

skoda_atero_concept_7_01cf00fa0be7081f.j

skoda_atero_concept_6_02c900000bb007e3.j

skoda_atero_concept_8_028601bb0ae0075a.j

2015 Škoda FUNstar Concept (based on Fabia)

skoda_funstar_1_019f00530c9e0985.jpg

skoda_funstar_017500000d0409ca.jpg

skoda_funstar_2.jpg

2014 Škoda CitiJet Concept (based on Citigo) 

skoda_citijet_17.jpg

skoda_citijet_19.jpg

skoda_citijet_18.jpg

skoda_citijet_3.jpg

  • Praise 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Turbocharged (edited)

easier to just get this if its front wheel drive

image.thumb.png.860df37685837e60395b6244b30b0c2d.png

 

image.thumb.png.2d9238462269b206ab9e8f07e8834ccc.png

image.thumb.png.e1e526a848a9f72fe5bf78f3e7691557.png

need to out do the MX5 handling and the BRZ first before it can be accepted. Tough market ...

 

Edited by Sdf4786k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
14 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

For those interested, these are the other 6 concept for Skoda Academy, from 2014 - 2019.

2019 Škoda Mountiaq Concept (based on Kodiaq)

skoda_10_0213015a135c0d9f.jpg

skoda_mountiaq_concept_2_0189016213f00de

skoda_mountiaq_concept_1_0260012c13fa0ef

skoda_mountiaq_concept_7.jpg

2018 Škoda Sunroq Concept (based on Karoq)

skoda_sunroq_concept_020c01160cc90997.jp

skoda_sunroq_concept_9_00ee001a0df8098c.

skoda_sunroq_concept_97_026e01b40c820884

skoda_sunroq_concept_55.jpg

2017 Škoda Element Concept (based on Citigo)

skoda_citigo_3-door_6.jpg

skoda_element_concept_5.jpg

skoda_element_concept_17.jpg

skoda_element_concept_69.jpg

2016 Škoda Atero Concept (based on Rapid Spaceback)

skoda_atero_concept_7_01cf00fa0be7081f.j

skoda_atero_concept_6_02c900000bb007e3.j

skoda_atero_concept_8_028601bb0ae0075a.j

2015 Škoda FUNstar Concept (based on Fabia)

skoda_funstar_1_019f00530c9e0985.jpg

skoda_funstar_017500000d0409ca.jpg

skoda_funstar_2.jpg

2014 Škoda CitiJet Concept (based on Citigo) 

skoda_citijet_17.jpg

skoda_citijet_19.jpg

skoda_citijet_18.jpg

skoda_citijet_3.jpg

the mountiaq makes me think of the new Ford Bronco. hahaha.

image.thumb.png.151bb49df29a684f81c5752dfc134882.png

  • Praise 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged

the citijet reminds me of fiat

image.thumb.png.96010550877479d73dab5b498220b713.png

image.png.b98730dcd7b3c56865a1544744d8d4cd.png

image.thumb.png.67a842822ff467b146ca908229c081fb.png

image.thumb.png.f0d84bd6f7db672a2e9271d8d3725a4b.png

  • Praise 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
6 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

the citijet reminds me of fiat

image.thumb.png.96010550877479d73dab5b498220b713.png

image.png.b98730dcd7b3c56865a1544744d8d4cd.png

image.thumb.png.67a842822ff467b146ca908229c081fb.png

image.thumb.png.f0d84bd6f7db672a2e9271d8d3725a4b.png

Speaking of fiat hor, Maserati got new car leh. haha. exciting days for the Italians. . .

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hypersonic

What's that 2 rear tunnel for, play the role of a rollover protection?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
5 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

What's that 2 rear tunnel for, play the role of a rollover protection?

I think is for coefficiency. Don't think body structure itself is strong enough for rollover protection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Clutched

Price it right surely got market.

  • Praise 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5th Gear
2 hours ago, Wildfaye29 said:

what?

口水?

Saliva??

I don't know but the first thing on mind is Czechoslovakia or Yugoslavia upon hearing the name.

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
18 minutes ago, Brass said:

I don't know but the first thing on mind is Czechoslovakia or Yugoslavia upon hearing the name.

Same here. I "see" Slovakia, 

84200504-3d-map-flag-slovakia.jpg

Slovakia-map-boundaries-cities-locator.j

as well as Slovenia. 

slovenia.jpg

Slovenia-map-boundaries-cities-locator.j

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×