Buying COE Car To Start Driving Again

My wife stopped driving in 2011 when i scrapped the car then.

In 2012, i bought MRS.  As it is a SMT, she has no confidence to drive.

In 2014, MRS was traded in for 6 mth old Mini.  This time, she wants to drive to work.

I brought her to Kallang carpark to drive a few rounds.  After, i NO EYE SEE.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

Can I ask why she needs to start driving now as in, you are planning to let her drive henceforth once she gained sufficient confidence? 

If she needs to start with a smaller car, what if she still can't have confidence in your bigger, entry level conti later? 

Can rent a small car for say 2 or 3 months first? At best maybe $3k rental and set aside $2k for insurance excess? No need to worry about car park or road tax or repair or maintenance? 

Just my tots. 

Stay safe 

Cheers 

• Praise 3

2 hours ago, Threeleggedman said:

Hi All,

I am thinking of getting a COE car with 1 year or less till scrap. The purpose is for my wife who has a class 3 licence to familiarise herself with driving again after attending refresher course at the driving centre. I have a car myself but she is not comfortable in handling it due to size, power and importantly, the modifications done for me to drive as a disabled driver (note: my car can be driven by a normal person as the pedals are intact and function normally).

The aim is to build her confidence and not worry about knocks. Eventually, she will drive my car when she needs to. The budget is below $10k and she has always wanted a Honda Jazz/Fit which is perfect for a starter car. I am ok to share the cost with her. Would this be a sound decision?

Thanks everyone in advance for your inputs:)

if you think spending that 10k to build up your wife's confidence on the road is worth it, why not?

IMHO, if she needs to drive every other day, her road confidence should build up fairly quickly. However, if she only drives once awhile, i think it might be more economical to just take your car.

• Praise 2

(edited)
33 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

In 2014, MRS was traded in for 6 mth old Mini.  This time, she wants to drive to work.

Mini is consider quite a small size car already.

Not many other models smaller than this 

Edited by Colin03

(edited)

Yes, if you can afford it. Do it. Why not get a 3 years old car if this is for 1-2 years.  Someone takes big depreciation hit for first 3 years of ownership and when you sell it, the loss is more managed. Repair and maintenance cost are also more predictable than a COE car.

Went through the same.

Wifey not comfortable driving my car for years and I became the grab driver for the entire family.  Now, she goes everywhere but sadly, I am seeing my MIL a lot less these days.  Biggest regret! 😂😂😂

Edited by Voodooman
  • Haha! 5

Turbocharged
4 hours ago, Watwheels said:

Eventually she will be driving your car? Then why waste money to get another car?

Bro, forget it lah. I know of a few dudes who did the same for their wives. End up same story. All got no confidence to drive and those guys end up with two cars.

I second your thoughts. It's quite  a waste of money to buy another car just for the wife to practise on. There's still the insurance, road tax and maintenance.

(edited)

Would suggest save money on car and use private instructor with model somewhat similar to your car. You can negotiate the rates since she's already a qualified driver. 

I know she's been through a driving centre, but you get more flexibility with a private instructor in deciding what to teach, routes you want her familiar with etc. But must emphasise that they should teach parking by proper judgement not with little sticker aids etc. like for L drivers. 

Edited by Turboflat4

6 hours ago, Threeleggedman said:

Hi All,

I am thinking of getting a COE car with 1 year or less till scrap. The purpose is for my wife who has a class 3 licence to familiarise herself with driving again after attending refresher course at the driving centre. I have a car myself but she is not comfortable in handling it due to size, power and importantly, the modifications done for me to drive as a disabled driver (note: my car can be driven by a normal person as the pedals are intact and function normally).

The aim is to build her confidence and not worry about knocks. Eventually, she will drive my car when she needs to. The budget is below $10k and she has always wanted a Honda Jazz/Fit which is perfect for a starter car. I am ok to share the cost with her. Would this be a sound decision?

Thanks everyone in advance for your inputs:)

At the end she would still have to drive your car, and your car can be driven  by normal persons, then she should ideally start using your car instead. If you do not mind sharing how big is big and how powerful is powerful to a beginner? 

Supersonic
(edited)
4 hours ago, inlinesix said:

So your wife has been driving since 2014 liao? Driving should be very zai now?!

Edited by 13177

1 hour ago, 13177 said:

So your wife has been driving since 2014 liao? Driving should be very zai now?!

Some women can be driving forever and still very not zai.😆 

• Haha! 4

What i suggest to improve her confidence, is to start renting a car over the weekend for a few months and drive around. 

It's way better than buying a car for 10k only to realize she doesn't have the desire to drive anymore. Many women are like that. Or you may even end up with huge repair cost for a very old car. but you know your wife best.

What i recommend is to rent a car over the weekends. cost only few hundreds and insurance covered if damage while driving.

Turbocharged
(edited)
53 minutes ago, colorfulmouse said:

What i recommend is to rent a car over the weekends. cost only few hundreds and insurance covered if damage while driving.

The excess for rental cars start from $2,000 onwards.

Unless you purchase damage collision waiver, which will reduce the excess to $500 onwards.

Edited by Vinceng

(edited)
16 hours ago, Threeleggedman said:

I did let me her my old car a couple of times before it was scrapped. She did ok but it was 2 years ago and without refresher, only me as a guide. In the end, she said it good to go for refresher which I agree. My current car is an entry level conti. She is worried of repair bills if the are knocks. She did try driving it but the acceleration scared her, very different from my old car. I have to empathise with her given that she is a new driver with old licence. Hence, she suggested a Jazz for starters and she will foot part of the cost. It's her dream car so I am hoping it will help get her started. 

If she will to drive your car eventually,  she would  still have to overcome the acceleration problem. One reason she felt your car being too powerful could be due to the way the accelerator pedal is mounted differently from the car she used to drive before, more practice would fix that problem. Most conti car accelerator pedals are mounted with the hinge point below, but for Japanese cars,  the hinge point could be on top (refer to illustrations). The feel and control on the foot is very different , as a result, some practice might require before one could get used to it when one starts to switch to a different car initailly, nothing to do with power of a car.

Of course noted  that you have other considerations.

Screenshot_20200724-072403_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200724-072211_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 2

Supersonic
9 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

Some women can be driving forever and still very not zai.😆 

How come le? If a person has a personal car and drive everyday, even not zai also should become zai liao?

↡ Advertisement