Buying COE Car To Start Driving Again

Twincharged
1 minute ago, 13177 said:

Wrecked meaning the car has scratches and dents?

mainly. then 2-3 times is bonnet open and fender gone type.

↡ Advertisement
  • Shocked 2

Supersonic
9 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

and also the car becomes the taxi for his friends. till he wises up and figures that he is always the last one home and cannot drink... hahaha

Youngsters are like that when one of them drives when all of them go out together la. When i was young, i also dont mind sending all my friends home even not on the way, and last one to get home. But now old liao, if not really on the way, i would not send my friends home, cause very tiring and headache driving here and there. so please go home yourself. Lol.

Supersonic
1 minute ago, Mkl22 said:

mainly. then 2-3 times is bonnet open and fender gone type.

How come fender can gone? Lol. If scratches and dents are quite common la, even some guys their car also full of scratches and dents, due to poor estimation skills when parking and maneuvering inside carpark. As some carpark really have narrow and tight ramp. 

Supersonic
27 minutes ago, Ody_2004 said:

Errr... now in Tekong wor.. need RPL to cross the water! whahahahahaha..

He BMT now.. so the car relax till the next horror come.. my daughter turn! whahahahahaha..

Orh, still BMT ah? So no point driving the car to camp. When he passed out from BMT, then can drive to camp liao lo.

6 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Youngsters are like that when one of them drives when all of them go out together la. When i was young, i also dont mind sending all my friends home even not on the way, and last one to get home. But now old liao, if not really on the way, i would not send my friends home, cause very tiring and headache driving here and there. so please go home yourself. Lol.

I kerbed my wheels and sometimes scratch a bit of the car when parking due to carparks.

Don't really care as long as nothing too jialat.

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
2 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Orh, still BMT ah? So no point driving the car to camp. When he passed out from BMT, then can drive to camp liao lo.

Actually what the camp policy towards driving and parking nowadays? 

Donkeys years ago.. when I in 6 SIR in ulu ulu land.. I park at rubbish dump..

when I moved to MINDEF... I illegal parked at the estate behind till MP come summon and report to HQ.. 

I argue to the dunno who at HQ that i not allowed to park inside MINDEF.. but jin heng.. this dunno who then allow me to park inside.

And hoh I love it every morning i drive in.. always get salute from the guards at the door despite i just a CPL! whahahahahahaha..

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
18 hours ago, Threeleggedman said:

Hi All,

I am thinking of getting a COE car with 1 year or less till scrap. The purpose is for my wife who has a class 3 licence to familiarise herself with driving again after attending refresher course at the driving centre. I have a car myself but she is not comfortable in handling it due to size, power and importantly, the modifications done for me to drive as a disabled driver (note: my car can be driven by a normal person as the pedals are intact and function normally).

The aim is to build her confidence and not worry about knocks. Eventually, she will drive my car when she needs to. The budget is below $10k and she has always wanted a Honda Jazz/Fit which is perfect for a starter car. I am ok to share the cost with her. Would this be a sound decision?

Thanks everyone in advance for your inputs:)

Nice to see you back again sir! I think it is wise to get a COE car now. as the COE is relatively reasonable. Honda fit is a very good car. Got space, easy to manuver and park.

• Praise 1

35 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

yah... my sister "wrecked" every car that my parents owned and her husbands car ever since she knew how to drive..... sigh.

maybe wrecked is a harsh word..... but every car would say tolong and please don't hurt me.... but alas.. they always get hurt.

Please introduce her to my used car business when she wrecks her next car.

:grin:

I give you commission.

• Haha! 2

2 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Nice to see you back again sir! I think it is wise to get a COE car now. as the COE is relatively reasonable. Honda fit is a very good car. Got space, easy to manuver and park.

Yeah Honda City also good very strong car. Don't buy Bentley.

Lives up to its name - bends so easily.

image.thumb.png.9e35944367a030c2dd16331504c009be.png

• Haha! 1

Supersonic
(edited)
36 minutes ago, Ody_2004 said:

Actually what the camp policy towards driving and parking nowadays? 

Donkeys years ago.. when I in 6 SIR in ulu ulu land.. I park at rubbish dump..

when I moved to MINDEF... I illegal parked at the estate behind till MP come summon and report to HQ.. 

I argue to the dunno who at HQ that i not allowed to park inside MINDEF.. but jin heng.. this dunno who then allow me to park inside.

And hoh I love it every morning i drive in.. always get salute from the guards at the door despite i just a CPL! whahahahahahaha..

Dont know the parking policy in camp now? But during my era, my camp allowed NSF to drive their cars and parked inside the camp guardhouse carpark. Maybe not say many NSF drives la, thats why they allowed? Usually only those rich man kids would have personal car and drives to camp la. Cause which family so rich to buy a car for their son when they are only in their early 20s? Think only rich man son lo. I guess even not many guys would have driving licence when they are 20 year old also. Lol.

Edited by 13177
  • Haha! 1

18 hours ago, 13177 said:

I think if your wife eventually would drive your current car when she needs to, no point getting another car. I believe she would eventually get used to your car after driving it a few times if she really wanted to regain back driving. Unless your plan is your wife would not be driving your car eventually and she would prefer to have her own car, then maybe can consider getting another car.

I feel that if the person has not much interests in driving, really risky to buy a car for her. It is not about the money first, but quite wasted if the person does not drive it often and leave the car rotting in the carpark. I also have one colleague wanted his wife to drive to work, cause more convenience and so bought a car for his wife, ended his wife does not drive the car to work often, and prefer to take public transport. [sweatdrop]

That I have to agree. But the fact that she suggested a refresher is a start. I believe she wants a small car to start first so less stressful, then progress to a normal sedan or hatchback after that. I have to empathise with her. More than 10 years not driving after passing, she needs a lot of encouragement to get behind the wheel. The few times she tried driving with me beside her, she was happy but extremely fearful as driving was very foreign to her. It was just a few rounds at a big open carpark. Cost is a factor but if it's just for a few months I think it's not so bad. Definitely not getting a car with more than 1 year left.

18 hours ago, Watwheels said:

You have to be mentally prepared for your wife to not touch the car at all and take public transport. After you have put so much effort to select a car, replace the worn parts and do it up decently to drive...it might all go down the drain. That's what one of my friends went thru.

After hearing his story I dare not laugh or say anything. I just kept quiet.

The thought is very sweet. If there are awards for sweet husbands you guys deserve it. Not kidding.

My SIL who has a driver's license told me she dare not go out driving alone or even drive with my bro by her side. My wife dunno from which year told me she wanted to learn driving and get the license, til now she havent even take basic theory.  I just nod my head smile smile and say,"yes dear".

I think she has to make the call after her refresher. I am only contributing part of the cost. The car will literally rot since I can't drive it without hand controls. The discussion is still ongoing since there's no hurry.

17 hours ago, Soya said:

How long has she not driven to lose confidence in driving?

If the worry is she will bang this, bang that, my priority would be to get a newer 5-star NCAP car with all the latest safety features, good brakes, etc instead of an old COE-banger that may be compromised

More than 10 years. She's only touch the wheels of my car less than 3 times. I need to clarify, the worry is she may turn poorly and damage the bumper etc. Definitely not referring to car accidents on the road. I won't let her go on the road unless she can handle it. Maybe start off with driving around the neighbourhood to do gorceries, buy food. It will help her since I can't carry too many stuff while using crutches.

I would also encourage to buy a near EOL car to drive and learn from the scratches and bangs. I feel it made more sense. 

Women will always be women when come to driving. 

Not I say one.My OC did when she commented how women drives. 

Supersonic
(edited)
20 minutes ago, Threeleggedman said:

That I have to agree. But the fact that she suggested a refresher is a start. I believe she wants a small car to start first so less stressful, then progress to a normal sedan or hatchback after that. I have to empathise with her. More than 10 years not driving after passing, she needs a lot of encouragement to get behind the wheel. The few times she tried driving with me beside her, she was happy but extremely fearful as driving was very foreign to her. It was just a few rounds at a big open carpark. Cost is a factor but if it's just for a few months I think it's not so bad. Definitely not getting a car with more than 1 year left.

If she has gone through the refresher course at driving school, more or less she should be more confidence to start back driving. If she would drive everyday after you got her a small car, then still can consider getting one lo. I just worry that after buying the car, and she doesnt want to drive or dont drive much then quite wasted. Gaining confidence and comfortable in driving on the road is quite important.  As for parking wise usually must drive at least a mid sedan car to get confidence de, small car not much use.

Edited by 13177

17 hours ago, Jamesc said:

Just get a 14 year old car with a renewed 5 year COE.

It will be cheap as cannot renew COE.

Yes, we are looking at cars registered in 2006 and 2007. Less than $10k for short term.

(edited)
2 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

I guess I’m lucky to have a wife who loves to drive a manual. At the rate lower end manual cars are dying off in SG, I might have to buy her a Porsche soon. 

Buying your wife  a Porsche is an admiringly good problem. Just make sure that you pay attention to fend off ABC(alligator, buakiah, crocodile)because every woman would look pretty in a Porsche😂

Edited by Ct3833
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1