Jump to content
Threeleggedman

Buying COE Car To Start Driving Again

Recommended Posts

3rd Gear

Hi All,

I am thinking of getting a COE car with 1 year or less till scrap. The purpose is for my wife who has a class 3 licence to familiarise herself with driving again after attending refresher course at the driving centre. I have a car myself but she is not comfortable in handling it due to size, power and importantly, the modifications done for me to drive as a disabled driver (note: my car can be driven by a normal person as the pedals are intact and function normally).

The aim is to build her confidence and not worry about knocks. Eventually, she will drive my car when she needs to. The budget is below $10k and she has always wanted a Honda Jazz/Fit which is perfect for a starter car. I am ok to share the cost with her. Would this be a sound decision?

 

Thanks everyone in advance for your inputs:)

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic

Eventually she will be driving your car? Then why waste money to get another car?

Bro, forget it lah. I know of a few dudes who did the same for their wives. End up same story. All got no confidence to drive and those guys end up with two cars.

  • Praise 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Twincharged

The dilemma is whether you plan to spend any money to replace broken or worn out parts since it sounds like you're not gonna renew the coe. I think any simple Jap small cars like Honda Jazz or Toyota Vios should be fine praying that no major fault appears within that one year.

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic

You have to be mentally prepared for your wife to not touch the car at all and take public transport. After you have put so much effort to select a car, replace the worn parts and do it up decently to drive...it might all go down the drain. That's what one of my friends went thru.

After hearing his story I dare not laugh or say anything. I just kept quiet.

The thought is very sweet. If there are awards for sweet husbands you guys deserve it. Not kidding.

My SIL who has a driver's license told me she dare not go out driving alone or even drive with my bro by her side. My wife dunno from which year told me she wanted to learn driving and get the license, til now she havent even take basic theory.  I just nod my head smile smile and say,"yes dear".

  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3rd Gear
18 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Eventually she will be driving your car? Then why waste money to get another car?

Bro, forget it lah. I know of a few dudes who did the same for their wives. End up same story. All got no confidence to drive and those guys end up with two cars.

Yes, that's after she goes through refresher and is confident to drive. She's trying to be on the safe side, hence open to the idea of handling a small car. I will definitely consult my wife again and she has to fork out money to upkeep the car as well so there is ownership.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6th Gear (edited)

If she is eventually driving your car, isn't better to let her experience it from the start? 

Of course, you can always supervise her closely from front passenger side. Even if she bang here and there, the total repair cost will definitely be lower than owning another car. 

Edited by Optramagnum
  • Praise 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6th Gear

Save the money on the new car and tell her dun worry... any buang to the car came from the car-we-almost-bought budget

  • Haha! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3rd Gear
20 minutes ago, Jellandross said:

The dilemma is whether you plan to spend any money to replace broken or worn out parts since it sounds like you're not gonna renew the coe. I think any simple Jap small cars like Honda Jazz or Toyota Vios should be fine praying that no major fault appears within that one year.

Not possible to renew since is a COE car. Looking at Jazz or swift, 7k to 8k. I was thinking major fault just scrap the car. Maybe get my regular mechanic to check the car first before making the purchase.

  • Praise 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3rd Gear (edited)
12 minutes ago, Optramagnum said:

If she is eventually driving your car, isn't better to let her experience it from the start? 

Of course, you can always supervise her closely from front passenger side. Even if she bang here and there, the total repair cost will definitely be lower than owning another car. 

I did let me her my old car a couple of times before it was scrapped. She did ok but it was 2 years ago and without refresher, only me as a guide. In the end, she said it good to go for refresher which I agree. My current car is an entry level conti. She is worried of repair bills if the are knocks. She did try driving it but the acceleration scared her, very different from my old car. I have to empathise with her given that she is a new driver with old licence. Hence, she suggested a Jazz for starters and she will foot part of the cost. It's her dream car so I am hoping it will help get her started. 

Edited by Threeleggedman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
9 minutes ago, Threeleggedman said:

Not possible to renew since is a COE car. Looking at Jazz or swift, 7k to 8k. I was thinking major fault just scrap the car. Maybe get my regular mechanic to check the car first before making the purchase.

7k, 8k can repair and respray your car many times whenever your wife knocks something.... 😅

 

  • Haha! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3rd Gear
9 minutes ago, yishunite said:

Save the money on the new car and tell her dun worry... any buang to the car came from the car-we-almost-bought budget

That's the alternative. Perhaps we see how it goes after the refresher. Maybe let her try driving my car again if she's confident enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3rd Gear
1 minute ago, Volvobrick said:

7k, 8k can repair and respray your car many times whenever your wife knocks something.... 😅

 

True. But there's down time as well. I am disabled so having a car for mobility is important. She's thinking for me as well. New car, accident free has better resale value if we decide to sell. But another perspective to consider nonetheless:)

  • Praise 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
19 minutes ago, Threeleggedman said:

I did let me her my old car a couple of times before it was scrapped. She did ok but it was 2 years ago and without refresher, only me as a guide. In the end, she said it good to go for refresher which I agree. My current car is an entry level conti. She is worried of repair bills if the are knocks. She did try driving it but the acceleration scared her, very different from my old car. I have to empathise with her given that she is a new driver with old licence. Hence, she suggested a Jazz for starters and she will foot part of the cost. It's her dream car so I am hoping it will help get her started. 

I think if your wife eventually would drive your current car when she needs to, no point getting another car. I believe she would eventually get used to your car after driving it a few times if she really wanted to regain back driving. Unless your plan is your wife would not be driving your car eventually and she would prefer to have her own car, then maybe can consider getting another car.

I feel that if the person has not much interests in driving, really risky to buy a car for her. It is not about the money first, but quite wasted if the person does not drive it often and leave the car rotting in the carpark. I also have one colleague wanted his wife to drive to work, cause more convenience and so bought a car for his wife, ended his wife does not drive the car to work often, and prefer to take public transport. [sweatdrop]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic

The important question is, does she has a burning desire to drive?

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
1 hour ago, Threeleggedman said:

Yes, that's after she goes through refresher and is confident to drive. She's trying to be on the safe side, hence open to the idea of handling a small car. I will definitely consult my wife again and she has to fork out money to upkeep the car as well so there is ownership.

How long has she not driven to lose confidence in driving?

If the worry is she will bang this, bang that, my priority would be to get a newer 5-star NCAP car with all the latest safety features, good brakes, etc instead of an old COE-banger that may be compromised

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
23 minutes ago, Ceecookie said:

Chanced across this Coe car (non renewable) with airbags at least.

This one sure can protect your wife while she learn to drive on the road 😄

https://m.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=909626

This car seems a bit big for driver long long time no drive and just regain back driving confidence le? Lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
35 minutes ago, Kangadrool said:

The important question is, does she has a burning desire to drive?

Agreed, if a person has no burining desire to drive, even you give that person a car for free, that person might also have no interest to drive. Some people really find driving too stressful and too many things to lookout while driving on the road. Lol.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×