nokia beacon 1

Ysc3

Twincharged

i have just recontracted my starhub subscription today and they are giving me a pair of Nokia Beacon 1.

anyone using it now ?

how is it compared to a conventional wireless router ? 

the downside i read so far is that it only has one LAN port. (i actually prefer to wire all my stuffs up for stability)

wireless is for those devices that cannot be wired up.

if its not going to serve much purpose, then i will just take delivery of the Beacons and throw them in my storeroom and stick to using my ASUS router.(which has 4 ports)

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

if your current Asus signal can cover your whole house then stick to that, I find the beacon a bit weak and you can't choose 2.4G or 5G.

• Praise 3

(edited)

It's just an ac1200 mesh wifi router. It's basically WiFi 5 only.

If u have a better Asus router. Likely to beat this. My basic room router acting as wireless AP is already a Ac1300 unit. My outside one is ac1900. 

But mesh is seamless lor in terms of connection transfer between nodes (wireless AP). 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 2

Yup if the Asus is working well why bother unplug everything and hook up a new router if your Asus is more than AC1200?

Starhub gave me an AC2600 and if re contract and they gave me this - its going straight into the store room.

:grin:

• Praise 1

(edited)

Why do you need feedback when you have the router? 😂

Just try it out. Is it very difficult to setup? Dont think so, right?

Since you have both Nokia and Asus, use both, any of which use as a repeater. Set a static IP for the repeater, eg 192.168.1.100  

SSID and password setup the same for main router and repeater. Quite easy.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Haha! 1

Supercharged
11 hours ago, Ysc3 said:

i have just recontracted my starhub subscription today and they are giving me a pair of Nokia Beacon 1.

anyone using it now ?

how is it compared to a conventional wireless router ? 

the downside i read so far is that it only has one LAN port. (i actually prefer to wire all my stuffs up for stability)

wireless is for those devices that cannot be wired up.

if its not going to serve much purpose, then i will just take delivery of the Beacons and throw them in my storeroom and stick to using my ASUS router.(which has 4 ports)

Single beacon is definitely weaker than normal ASUS/Linksys routers.

The use-case is to have the 2nd beacon to spread the signal to far/hard-to-reach areas.

But do take note, the 2nd (or subsequent) beacon should have a good connection to the first, best is have clear line of sight.

• Praise 2

Twincharged
3 hours ago, Watwheels said:

Why do you need feedback when you have the router? 😂

Just try it out. Is it very difficult to setup? Dont think so, right?

Since you have both Nokia and Asus, use both, any of which use as a repeater. Set a static IP for the repeater, eg 192.168.1.100  

SSID and password setup the same for main router and repeater. Quite easy.

delivery scheduled for wed 29Jul .... yesterday only went down to sign ... left empty handed except for the netflix brochure.

Twincharged
1 hour ago, t0y0ta said:

Single beacon is definitely weaker than normal ASUS/Linksys routers.

The use-case is to have the 2nd beacon to spread the signal to far/hard-to-reach areas.

But do take note, the 2nd (or subsequent) beacon should have a good connection to the first, best is have clear line of sight.

i guess general consensus is to just chuck it in the storeroom ..... since its not going to change my life ...😂

• Haha! 1

(edited)

Yes just chuck it in the store room

and then take it out and sell it in 5 years time.

Just like all the people in Carousell.

One joker is even asking $190 for D-Link AC1200 

Please don't low ball him and only offer $180. 

image.png.1e02fdff047c6eec0df6fa8dbad977d3.png

Edited by Jamesc
  • Haha! 2

28 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

Yes just chuck it in the store room

and then take it out and sell it in 5 years time.

Just like all the people in Carousell.

Just keep it as spare router bah. Though It's been many years since a router up lorry on me. 

• Haha! 1

(edited)
7 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Just keep it as spare router bah. Though It's been many years since a router up lorry on me. 

If up lorry can get a brand new one for just $8.

Cheaper than a MSW durian.

https://sg.carousell.com/p/d-link-wireless-ac1200-dual-band-router-for-sale-bnib-212227553/?t-id=enx0y1Tzy7_1595757555595&t-referrer_browse_type=search_results&t-referrer_filter_condition=NEW&t-referrer_filter_price_max=20&t-referrer_request_id=Hcg3BWhxnf1Xj8DC&t-referrer_search_query=ac1200&t-referrer_sort_by=recent

image.png.1e02fdff047c6eec0df6fa8dbad977d3.png

Edited by Jamesc
  • Haha! 3

(edited)

You won't be surprise some will offer $2. LOL... Ecocknome very bad...

After meet up, they say can give them FOC since you get it FOC from telco also.

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Haha! 2

Twincharged
(edited)
2 hours ago, Lala81 said:

yup ... i have got a couple of spare asus routers also ... all from telco contracts.

Edited by Ysc3

22 hours ago, Lala81 said:

It's just an ac1200 mesh wifi router. It's basically WiFi 5 only.

If u have a better Asus router. Likely to beat this. My basic room router acting as wireless AP is already a Ac1300 unit. My outside one is ac1900. 

But mesh is seamless lor in terms of connection transfer between nodes (wireless AP). 

Mesh is not that seamless, as I found out the hard way. I have a pair of Linksys Velop tri-band mesh installed at home, and when I step into my house it connects to the first unit. When I move into the bedroom where I have another unit, it shows the WiFi as full strength on my phone but pages aren't loading properly. But give it a while, it will work fine. Or I will need to turn off and on WiFi again, then it will connect to the nearest unit with strongest signal.

That said, the performance of the WiFi has been good. With 3 pax working from home and running concurrent virtual meetings, the connection is still fast and stable.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1