Japan Sanyo's Plastic Battery

steveluv

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Technology/Japan-drone-submarine-eyes-16-hour-dive-with-plastic-battery?utm_campaign=RN%20Subscriber%20newsletter&utm_medium=JP%20update%20newsletter&utm_source=NAR%20Newsletter&utm_content=article%20link&del_type=4&pub_date=20200721090000&seq_num=13&si=%%user_id%%

Japan drone submarine eyes 16-hour dive with plastic battery
Sanyo tests rechargeable prototype with Kawasaki's unmanned vessel

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaw
Sanyo Chemical Industries' all-polymer battery can power Kawasaki's unmanned submarine for 16 hours on one charge.
YUKI MURAKAMI, Nikkei staff writerJuly 21, 2020 00:29 JST

KYOTO -- Sanyo Chemical Industries' rechargeable battery made almost entirely of plastic is now powering an unmanned submarine by Kawasaki Heavy Industries in a test run, with the promise of doubling the vehicle's operation range to 16 hours. 

The trial presents the first commercial use of the all-polymer device made by Sanyo subsidiary APB. The battery, whose electrolytes are also made of resin, lasts twice as long as its lithium-ion cousin and boasts cheaper production costs and greater resistance to fires.

Kawasaki's autonomous underwater vehicle is designed to inspect oil pipelines and other deep sea equipment. Due to the nature of the work, an internal battery would be subjected to high pressures. The all-polymer battery can withstand depths of more than 3,000 meters.

APB's battery can power the vehicle for about 16 hours on a single charge, up from roughly eight for a lithium-ion battery.

Mass production for the all-polymer battery is said to cost 90% less than for a lithium-ion counterpart due to the simplicity of the manufacturing process. APB, is setting up a plant in Japan's Fukui Prefecture.

Full-scale production will be ready around fall 2021, with sales to begin before the fiscal year ends in March 2022. The aim is to develop a business worth hundreds of billions of yen (100 billion yen equals $934 million) within five to 10 years.

The operation will focus on stationary power storage for buildings, but batteries for undersea drones have become feasible as well.

APB has raised roughly 9 billion yen from eight investors through June, including trading house Toyota Tsusho and energy major Eneos Holdings. Both Nissan Motor and Sanyo have licensed polymer battery technology to APB to accelerate development. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 9
  • Shocked 1

39 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Read about this some weeks back. Was wondering whether stock listed. But it isn't. 

Whoa!! I was thinking the same. But I probably won’t buy anything liao :grin:

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

1 minute ago, Mustank said:

Whoa!! I was thinking the same. But I probably won’t buy anything liao :grin:

This was the actual news that interested me. 

They are using a new way to manufacture batteries and it's cheaper and more efficient. I think they are onto something big here which will be industry standard in 10-15 years time. 

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/07/09/business/tech/hideaki-horie-invents-new-battery/

• Praise 3
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

52 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

woah. Quite proud. Last time my mother works at sanyo. when there is a factory in Singapore. haha.

Sanyo had quite a good presence in Sg in the old days ...... seems the brand just slowly died down in the 2000’s 

• Praise 4

47 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

This was the actual news that interested me. 

They are using a new way to manufacture batteries and it's cheaper and more efficient. I think they are onto something big here which will be industry standard in 10-15 years time. 

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/07/09/business/tech/hideaki-horie-invents-new-battery/

"Horie acknowledges that APB can’t compete with battery giants who are already benefiting from economies of scale after investing billions."

Still can't compete with Lithium-ion batteries?  

I read manufacturers are trying to remove expensive cobalt from lithium-ion batteries, if successful, it will bring down EV cost to ICE level and that is when EV will really take off in Singapore. The range of 400-500km on 1 charge means EV can work in SG, so Tesla with OMV of 20k?

• Praise 2

10 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

"Horie acknowledges that APB can’t compete with battery giants who are already benefiting from economies of scale after investing billions."

I read manufacturers are trying to remove expensive cobalt from lithium-ion batteries, if successful, it will bring down EV cost to ICE level and that is when EV will really take off in Singapore. The range of 400-500km on 1 charge means EV can work in SG, so Tesla with OMV of 20k?

Gahmen tax u EV car big big 

• Praise 4

Just now, Mockngbrd said:

Gahmen tax u EV car big big 

The main issue is ARF and excise tax. Just looking at OMV, an EV costs 20-30k more than a ICE vehicle (which 10 years of lower usage cost can help to mitigate), but after ARF and other import taxes, it becomes 100-200k more, so mass adoption is not possible.

https://www.budgetdirect.com.sg/blog/car-insurance/are-electric-cars-economical-in-singapore

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

They started a factory in Singapore around 1972 but somehow didn't survive well. their aircon was doing very well in early 80, again disappeared.  Hope this one will survive. 

• Praise 2

2 hours ago, Voodooman said:

Basically the more competing technologies or production methods there are, The faster the technologies will evolve. 

U can expect lithium ion batteries to become cheaper. But ultimately their energy density potential is close to maxing out after 20 years of development. U can make them safer, Cheaper but not necessarily better storage devices. 

This new method is still in its infancy. Of course nowhere comparable in terms of costs and scales. 

There are also some other new materials that can be used for making batteries transistors etc. 

• Praise 2

When I saw APB, this was the first thing that pops up in my mind. @mersaylee @Hoseyboh, tio boh?

t9lJfAhqejP3TOpbVFSjlAvvp9E-nBLSqzXgV5bK

OK back to the topic, another key reason battery manufacturers are looking for new alternative is to eliminate potential issues with the supply of rare earth metals.

Production cost of li-ion batteries maybe coming down (fast), but once there is an export restriction imposed on rare earth metals by the 2 largest producers , one doesn't need a PhD to know what will be the consequences. 

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 4

2 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

When I saw APB, this was the first thing that pops up in my mind. @mersaylee @Hoseyboh, tio boh?

t9lJfAhqejP3TOpbVFSjlAvvp9E-nBLSqzXgV5bK

OK back to the topic, another key reason battery manufacturers are looking for new alternative is to eliminate potential issues with the supply of rare earth metals.

Production cost of li-ion batteries maybe coming down (fast), but once there is an export restriction imposed on rare earth metals by the 2 largest producers , one doesn't need a PhD to know what will be the consequences. 

Tio lah..APB always on my mind.. 😀

1595762127282.jpg

• Haha! 4

9 hours ago, Victor68 said:

They started a factory in Singapore around 1972 but somehow didn't survive well. their aircon was doing very well in early 80, again disappeared.  Hope this one will survive. 

Their products are too lasting...at least 30 years still rocking... fridge is freezing cold even after >20years, they nearly went into bankcruptcy iirc.

• Haha! 2

I read about "plastic" batteries some years ago being researched and tested by a UK company...... I have an email on it somewhere as I was looking at developing larger AGV.

Will try to find the link and post, very interesting and a huge saving for the environment.

• Praise 1

Ha ha - bro, you really bring me back 25 years ago. I am 1 of their sales executive in the semiconductor dept. I still have a MIJ fan  from them that I bought at a discounted price back them.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

I noted a company called Augmented Optics in the UK, late 2016 - now superdielectrics - that announced new Super Capacitor Materials (electrically active hydrophilic polymers) so the question would be whether Sanyo consider their product a battery or super capacitor? Maybe they went with the word "battery" for a wider audience?

In 2016 Augmented Optics said;

“The new technology is believed to have the potential for electric cars to travel to similar distances as petrol cars without the need to stop for lengthy re-charging breaks of between 6-8 hours, and instead re-charge fully in the time it takes to fill a regular car with petrol."

“Engineers are now working to produce a prototype that would give a car 150miles of range from a recharge taking seconds – just like a petrol or diesel pump – as opposed to the hours currently needed. Should the prototype be successful, it’s believed that a test mule using a supercapacitor as its power source could be in operation as early as next year.”

As with all bravado, fluff and bluster, not only the end of 2017 went past but so did 2018, 2019 and half 2020 without their test mule, but the development intrigued me those 3.5yrs ago. The major drawback of electric power was suddenly obsolete, the need for hours of charging time. China has used super capacitors for many years in their public transport and wacky races Elon Musk stated a few times in the last 10yrs that the technology would replace traditional batteries in EV, one day. Batteries are only a filler in technology, hopefully, as digging for Lithium, Zinc and Elements surely cannot be the way to run our systems.

↡ Advertisement