GE2020: Singapore General Election - 10 July 2020

Picnic06-Biante15

1 hour ago, Yewheng said:

Okay not bad.. Looks like the transition should be a lot smoother then in 2011 when handling over aljunied Town Council to wp. 

Not smooth, next GE more GRC's (West Coast & East Coast) crossing over to oppo ....   [sly]

Must have learned their lesson from Aljunied GRC, the more they tekkan, more percentage votes go over to oppo.... :huh:

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

7 minutes ago, Pocy said:

The building looks great ........ its Architect!

The nation is @#%! ......... its leaders!

Thanks for putting this across more eloquently than me. 👍

• Haha! 2

Hypersonic
25 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

Because the sons of Mao and Deng are not their Premier now? Our system is closer to the Qing dynasty.

Mao and Deng had both denied the ‘dynasty’ in olden China cos they felt at least CCP is better than ‘dynasty’..... I think China is better now. LHY commented SG didn’t need another Lee.

• Praise 2

What nonsense political stunt is psp doing to have Hazel and LMW step down from party leadership to "focus on ncmp"? All other political parties in the whole world have their leadership as constituency MPs... they really cannot multitask this simple role? And wouldn't it be actually better for them to be leaders of the party so that they can direct party priorities with their inside view of parliament?

Farnee move

1 hour ago, Playtime said:

It's gonna be so god dam stupid if they pull another AIM or disappearing records,  staff,  contractors etc stunt... but then again.. 🤔... they always seem to exceed expectations in this area. 

Best of wishes though. 

What so stupid? Was there any backlash from AIM other than people whining on the internet?

• Haha! 1

55 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

Not true from my observations. 

Maids already out in full force last Sunday. Public parks along Kallang are full of them picnicking and congregating. All without masks of course as they are eating and drinking. 

East Coast park and East Coast Lagoon last Sunday are the same during evening time. All carparks have cars queueing, PCNs packed full of joggers, children, cyclists etc. 

I can expect such public places to continue to be packed as it's the July school holidays now, since families can't travel out of the country. Infected cases have travelled everywhere in Singapore after CB as reported, so a second or even a third wave is imminent. 

Are they sticking in groups of 5s? If so, we should not discriminate against them!

5 minutes ago, yishunite said:

What nonsense political stunt is psp doing to have Hazel and LMW step down from party leadership to "focus on ncmp"? All other political parties in the whole world have their leadership as constituency MPs... they really cannot multitask this simple role? And wouldn't it be actually better for them to be leaders of the party so that they can direct party priorities with their inside view of parliament?

Farnee move

Hazel and LMW rewarded with NCMP role. But still need to reward other loyalists with vice chair and asst gen sec role.

32 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

You never heard of the phrase, 'the devil is in the details"?

I find his posts always very superficial. His ideas are not wrong tho.

3 minutes ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

Are they sticking in groups of 5s? If so, we should not discriminate against them!

Small groups of 4-5 pax sitting around in close proximity. Group A of 4 pax sitting less than 1 metre apart from Group B of 5 pax. There's probably a Group C of more than 5 pax since Social Distancing Ambassadors aren't enforcing. I think it makes no difference at all. 

Good thing is that they are picnicking outdoors with much more random airflow around them, reducing chances of cross-infections. 

15 hours ago, mersaylee said:

Yalor...I thought it was returned to SK together with SK west...

must ask JL to petition for the last vale of SK to be united with the rests

三缺一😝

Is your vale very prone to lightning strikes? If yes, come next GE, it will find its way into SengKang!🤣

• Haha! 3

Twincharged
1 hour ago, yishunite said:

Farnee move

Don't know.. Maybe disagree with internal party on issues? Or it could also be they want to be as neural as possible, coz once in political party, even if their view is not in line with the party, they still need to go with the party views. 

So these are the 2 I could think of.. 

Twincharged
2 hours ago, Playtime said:

Our System doesn't breed creativity...

But strangely.. China does seem to be better even though they are more repressive..

Or am I missing something... our govt does a worse job?.. cos largely  same stock of people

I think part of the reason why is because people over there in China are more hungry for success, last time they are poor, so very hunger to learn as much things as possible and be humble. Think we now lack of these 2 attributes.. 

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
2 hours ago, inlinesix said:

I thought employers are advised not to allow their maid to go out on rest day.

Can still ahem ahem during daily marketing..

13 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

I think part of the reason why is because people over there in China are more hungry for success, last time they are poor, so very hunger to learn as much things as possible and be humble. Think we now lack of these 2 attributes.. 

There are still a lot of "hungry" ppl in China

• Praise 1

Supersonic
3 hours ago, Yewheng said:

Okay not bad.. Looks like the transition should be a lot smoother then in 2011 when handling over aljunied Town Council to wp. 

This time they cannot try to be funny like in 2011 liao. Lol.

• Haha! 1

Hypersonic
14 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

Wah I am scared it will become like this:

e3-712_detail.jpg.2822de144e8189a36c492d4040b812a0.jpg

I think CCP is better than dynasty ........ look at history. 

https://www.lowyinstitute.org/the-interpreter/singapore-s-election-why-aren-t-winners-smiling

Singapore’s election: Why aren’t the winners smiling?

The country consistently has one of the highest vote-seat disproportionalities in the world.

Simply defined, vote-seat disproportionality refers to the gap between the number of votes obtained by a political party or candidate and the number of seats won by the party or candidate.

One cause of the high vote-seat disproportionality in Singapore is the combination of a first-past-the-post electoral system and the Group Representation Constituencies (GRC). The GRC, in effect since 1988, is a type of party bloc vote system in which members of parliament are elected as a team, with stipulated ethnic composition in specified constituencies.

The Gallagher Index, which measures the disproportionality between votes obtained and seats allotted, found Singapore’s electoral outcomes to be among the most unequal in the world. They scored worse than Australia, South Africa, Malaysia, South Korea, and India. Netina Tan, an associate professor in McMaster University, also demonstrates how this unusual rule exaggerates the legislative seat shares of the PAP.

Interesting... never heard of gallagher index before

41 minutes ago, mikk123 said:

image.png.285299951be9fc40ad5f798ad0ecdad7.png

I remember there is one PSP candidate say he wants to become MP, so he can find Mdm Ho's salary. Well, look the performance of Temasek, Mdm Ho deserves the million dollar salary. She became the CEO in 2004. The whole portfolio increased by  more than 300% under her care. 

Which Portion of the increase is from govt investment ?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2